Here’s the real reason Flappy Bird was removed

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
In an exclusive interview with Forbes, Flappy Bird developer Dong Nguyen has revealed the real reason he removed the extremely popular app from the App Store and the Google Play Store. According to Nguyen, the game’s addictiveness is what convinced him to remove it, and the app is not coming back. “Flappy Bird was designed to play in a few minutes when you are relaxed,” the developer said “But it happened to become an addictive product. I think it has become a problem. To solve that problem, it’s best to take down Flappy Bird. It’s gone forever.”

Nguyen, who has other popular games in the iOS store, denied receiving any threats from Nintendo, and said that wasn’t the reason he removed the app, adding that in case any of his games becomes equally addictive as Flappy Bird, he will not hesitate to also pull them from stores.
In addition to guilt related to Flappy Bird’s addictiveness, Nguyen says his life was not “as comfortable as I was before,” and that he couldn’t sleep because of the app. Thus, removing the app isn’t a mistake according to him, as he has “thought it through.”

Nguyen’s increased popularity may have indeed become a burden for the developer. Forbes reveals that he agreed to talk to the publication only on condition that photos of him would not be shown, and then was delayed as the developer met with Vietnam’s deputy prime minister Vu Duc Dam on the same day. Recent reports revealed that Nguyen has received death threats for pulling the app.

The app developer would not confirm how much money he made with Flappy Bird, although some estimates say he may have collected as much as $50,000 per day from ads – the app was available as a free download – and said he would continue to develop games.

Flappy Bird can still be played on the devices it’s installed on, and a web-based clone and a Pebble app version are also available to users. In fact, hardcore fans can even buy devices with Flappy Bird pre-installed from eBay, although they may be more expensive than you’d think.

Steve Williams

Never fear, Flappy Bird is still available -- on eBay, for a thousand bucks

BY SARAH SILBERT Engadget

Less than a day after the explosively popular game Flappy Bird vanished from the App Store and Google Play, it's become available on eBay -- for hundreds of dollars. Lucky owners of the Flappy Bird app have put their phones and tablets up for bidding, with prices ranging from $460 for a black iPhone 4s with an "updated" version of the game to $1,000 for a Galaxy Tab 3 with the app pre-installed.

It's unclear if any devices have sold, though there are a few bids in the running. Maybe wait a day or two before pulling the trigger, though; some say this is all a huge publicity stunt and the app will be back up soon, while others say the developer is avoiding being sued by other game makers. You could also check out Flappy Bird clones such as Ironpants. It's free; it offers similar gameplay, if you can live without the bird character; and it doesn't require remembering your eBay password.

Steve Williams

Flappy Bird Creator May Have Been Scared By Legal Threats After All

One of the great smartphone soap operas of our time reached a bizarre climax over the weekend when Vietnamese developer Dong Nguyen removed Flappy Bird, then the world’s most popular free app, from both the Google GOOG +0.17% Play store and Apple's AAPL +0.55% App Store.

If you believe Dong’s version of events shared via Twitter, the near overnight success of a game he created in just a few days was blown out of proportion by the media and just became too much to handle. But reports are beginning to emerge that the developer may have been feeling pressure from elsewhere.

Flappy Bird has reportedly been bringing the one-man app shop as much as $50,000 a day in advertising revenues, but Dong plucked it from the Internet, explaining via Twitter that the move had nothing to do with legal issues, but rather that he worried the world was “overusing” his simplistic but insanely difficult and addictive creation.

carolkoh

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Sep 17, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Crazy... part of its popularity comes from gamer competitiveness. When you have a group of kids and one goes. "I don't get this Flappy Bird thing. I can't even get one stupid point!" and someone goes "Really? I got 37 on my first go." "Dood, you can't suck that bad!"

I've seen that happen on my FB feed between adult men - and people downloading it just to see what it's all about. It's the definition of a viral success.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing