Help with Valhalla 2 1.75m DIN/LEMO tonearm cable

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I have a 1.75m DIN/LEMO Nordost Valhalla 2 tonearm cable that did not work out when I tried to used with a Pandora preamplifier and my Michell Gyrodec.

Is this cable specifically for the Gryphon Pandora? How many preamps have a LEMO input on their phono sections?

Should I get it reterminated to make it easier to sell?

I could certainly like getting a decent price for it to help defray my other expenses.

What do people think? Thanks!

Rather than spend up front to reterminate, advertise that you will pay for this to suit the buyer.

Don’t hold your breath hoping to get a big fraction of the nominal value of esoteric cables on resale. Big money spent on cables often turns out to be a sunk cost. You’re paying for the “play value.”

GLWS

Rather than spend up front to reterminate, advertise that you will pay for this to suit the buyer.

Don’t hold your breath hoping to get a big fraction of the nominal value of esoteric cables on resale. Big money spent on cables often turns out to be a sunk cost. You’re paying for the “play value.”

GLWS

That’s an interesting idea but how do I get them from backing out after I go to the trouble of getting the cable reterminated?

I guess they should pay upfront.

Any idea how much it will cost to have the cable reterminated or do I have to call a Nordost dealer?

I’m looking at what people are asking for the Valhalla 2 tone arm cable. I want to get a market price for it.

Do not have anyone reterminate it except Nordost. You will make the value go to zero if you do.

Do not look at asking prices. They are not the market. Look at selling prices. Audio Blue Book, HiFi Shark, … your problem is that these do not have a high volume of used sales so data are less reliable.

Do not have anyone reterminate it except Nordost. You will make the value go to zero if you do.

Do not look at asking prices. They are not the market. Look at selling prices. Audio Blue Book, HiFi Shark, … your problem is that these do not have a high volume of used sales so data are less reliable.

Yes, I’ll use Nordost for retermination.

I’ll look at ask and settled prices to get a sense of what the cable is worth.

Presumably you have the Legato card in your Pandora? I have the same setup and have found the LEMO connector a pain, and not one that I was expecting - just because I've needed to have cables specially terminated for it and assumed that it would be XLR for some reason (as the stand alone module is). Your Nordost cable looks like it should be fantastic given the cost, why don't you like it? I have a much more modestly priced AQ Yosemite tonearm cable in my system that was given to me by the dealer I bought my turntable from, and it seems fine to me, although admittedly I've not experimented.

For what it's worth, Another Johnson's advice on only spending money for re-terminating once you have a buyer seems pretty sensible.

Presumably you have the Legato card in your Pandora? I have the same setup and have found the LEMO connector a pain, and not one that I was expecting - just because I've needed to have cables specially terminated for it and assumed that it would be XLR for some reason (as the stand alone module is). Your Nordost cable looks like it should be fantastic given the cost, why don't you like it? I have a much more modestly priced AQ Yosemite tonearm cable in my system that was given to me by the dealer I bought my turntable from, and it seems fine to me, although admittedly I've not experimented.

For what it's worth, Another Johnson's advice on only spending money for re-terminating once you have a buyer seems pretty sensible.

Yes, I have the Legato phone stage. I was told by SoundSmith that the Valhalla tonearm cable is not compatible with the TecnoArm that is on my GyroDec and that I should use the RCA to Lemo conversion cables that came with my Pandora.

Yes, I have the Legato phone stage. I was told by SoundSmith that the Valhalla tonearm cable is not compatible with the TecnoArm that is on my GyroDec and that I should use the RCA to Lemo conversion cables that came with my Pandora.
So the TecnoArm must be RCA rather than Din? I had Din to LEMO with a Bergmann Modi turntable (Odin arm), but when I bought a Galder (also Odin arm) it came with RCA, so I needed another LEMO cable. Annoying. I had 2 LEMO connectors with my Pandora but no cables attached.

I hope you get it sorted as it's such an expensive cable. Is the arm, Pandora/Legato, and/or Nordost cable new? If so, can't you return or swap the bit that doesn't currently fit for one that works well with your other kit?

So the TecnoArm must be RCA rather than Din? I had Din to LEMO with a Bergmann Modi turntable (Odin arm), but when I bought a Galder (also Odin arm) it came with RCA, so I needed another LEMO cable. Annoying. I had 2 LEMO connectors with my Pandora but no cables attached.

I hope you get it sorted as it's such an expensive cable. Is the arm, Pandora/Legato, and/or Nordost cable new? If so, can't you return or swap the bit that doesn't currently fit for one that works well with your other kit?

Yes, the TecnoArm has RCA plugs. I’m not quite sure why the Valhalla 2 cable is incompatible with the TecnoArm. I’m no turntable expert.

I’ve had the GyroDec for a number of years. I bought the Pandora used and it came with the Valhalla 2 cable, so it is also used.

I suppose I could hold on to the Valhalla 2 with its LEMO/DIN connections in case I upgrade to a better turntable.

What are the chances I’ll get a turntable with a tonearm that has a DIN connection? Is it common?

Those two beautiful turntables you owned or own. Is the vacuum pump dead silent?

I don’t know if I’ll ever upgrade my turntable. I just ordered a DeGritter Mark II to replace my SOTA vacuum cleaner.

Last edited:
Yes, the TecnoArm has RCA plugs. I’m not quite sure why the Valhalla 2 cable is incompatible with the TecnoArm. I’m no turntable expert.

I’ve had the GyroDec for a number of years. I bought the Pandora used and it came with the Valhalla 2 cable, so it is also used.

I suppose I could hold on to the Valhalla 2 with its LEMO/DIN connections in case I upgrade to a better turntable.

What are the chances I’ll get a turntable with a tonearm that has a DIN connection? Is it common?

Those two beautiful turntables you owned or own. Is the vacuum pump dead silent?

I don’t know if I’ll ever upgrade my turntable. I just ordered a DeGritter Mark II to replace my SOTA vacuum cleaner.
That makes sense. If it were me, I'd just treat the Nordost cable as a bonus item and sell it as you were planning on doing, or just hang on to it in case you change your arm in the future (I just kept my previous Din to LEMO for that reason, but it's not a very expensive cable like yours). You can buy Din to RCA adapters and that could be an option, but I don't know how good they are, probably variable.

Thank you for your comment re Bergmann tables. Yes, I'm a big fan and currently have a Galder SIgnature, which is superb and I'm really pleased with it! The boxes that contain the pumps/vacuum are totally inaudible at listening distance. There is a very slight hum that you can hear when standing very close by if you're listening for it.

I've often thought about a degritter, but went cheap with the HumminGuru. I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are when you get it.

That makes sense. If it were me, I'd just treat the Nordost cable as a bonus item and sell it as you were planning on doing, or just hang on to it in case you change your arm in the future (I just kept my previous Din to LEMO for that reason, but it's not a very expensive cable like yours). You can buy Din to RCA adapters and that could be an option, but I don't know how good they are, probably variable.

Thank you for your comment re Bergmann tables. Yes, I'm a big fan and currently have a Galder SIgnature, which is superb and I'm really pleased with it! The boxes that contain the pumps/vacuum are totally inaudible at listening distance. There is a very slight hum that you can hear when standing very close by if you're listening for it.

I've often thought about a degritter, but went cheap with the HumminGuru. I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are when you get it.

Maybe I should have saved some money and bought the Guru but the DeGritter Mark II gets good reviews and the company seems to stand behind their product.

I decided that the biggest impediment to listening to more vinyl was finding the time to clean albums so hopefully this will help.

Yeah, I’ll think I’ll sell the tone cable. I’m not a person who keeps things in the hope that I’ll find a use for them. I’ll try to get the cable to someone who needs it.

I’m pretty happy with my system now and don’t see upgrading it. How often do you hear someone say that? Haha.

Here it is.

IMG_1745.jpeg

Not pictured is an Accuphase CD player that is off to one side.

I use all sources, the Accuphase T-1000 FM tuner, the Michell GyroDec turntable, the Mac Mini streaming Tidal and Qobuz under Roon, the Denon DN-900R recording FM broadcasts. I don’t use the CD player that often.

The Niagara 5000 takes care of power.

Last edited:
I’m pretty happy with my system now and don’t see upgrading it. How often do you hear someone say that? Haha.

Here it is.

View attachment 129603

Not pictured is an Accuphase CD player that is off to one side.

I use all sources, the Accuphase T-1000 FM tuner, the Michell GyroDec turntable, the Mac Mini streaming Tidal and Qobuz under Roon, the Denon DN-900R recording FM broadcasts. I don’t use the CD player that often.

You're right - definitely a rare beast to admit that you are happy with your system! As you should be, it looks great!

You're right - definitely a rare beast to admit that you are happy with your system! As you should be, it looks great!

Thanks.

I know many people have better systems.

When I was at the hardware store buying longer threaded rods to hold all this gear, one of the sales guys asked how much gear was in the rack.

When I showed him, he was amazed, and then he asked if I would buy more if I won the lottery.

I said yes, but thinking it over, first I’d buy a bigger house and hire staff to maintain it.

Reactions: Corinthian

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing