Hello from the US

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I'm a classical music lover and audiophile. My current occupation is a high school English teacher (for the past 25 years), and before that I was an audio engineer for my local NPR station--mainly recorded live classical concerts for broadcast and did some studio production work. I don't recall exactly how I got into better audio gear, but it started in my teens. I think my first decent system was an all-Marantz (well, speakers and receiver--I think my turntable was a Dual of some sort). I started reading Stereo Review and High Fidelity and gradually started improving my system. I went through all sorts of speakers--Acoustic Research, Heil, Magnepan, ADS, Acoustat, Quad, Martin Logan, B&W, and most recently, my DALI Epicon 2s. Over the years I've owned Phase Linear, Threshold, Mark Levinson (back when HE ran the company!), Marantz, Parasound, and now Pass Labs electronics.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome to the WBF Bachtoven (love the moniker)!:) Your audio journey is likely reflective of many here and I'm glad to read that you stuck with it. Many of my friends from back then got out of it for one reason or another.

What is currently in your system?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Welcome indeed. You have a great history of gear there and you will be able to fit right in here :).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I believe i have read your great music recommendations elsewhere...welcome!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Thanks, everyone. I've made quite a CD/SACD journey, too: Meridian (their first, basically a modified Philips), then Marantz SA11S, Sony 5400ES, and finally, my current Esoteric K-03. My full system:

DALI Epicon 2 speakers
SVS SB13 Ultra sub
Pass Labs INT-150 integrated amp
Esoteric K-03 SACD player
Oppo 105 Blu-ray player
Sennheiser HD800 headphones
Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp
Nordost, Audio Analysis interconnects; Kimber Kable speaker cables

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
How did you like the Marantz SA11S? And would you know how it compares to the SA-KI-Pearl?

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
It sounded great--way better than the Meridian. I sold it when I went to surround sound and bought the Sony. I never compared the Marantz to any other players. Going surround was the biggest mistake ever! Some organ and choral recordings sound good in that format, but most engineers place too much direct sound in the rear channels, which blurs the imaging, and one doesn't normally hear orchestral instruments in the rear of the hall unless it's a contemporary piece that calls for such placement. Plus, I got rid of some killer gear (Levinson No.334/380S and Martin Logan ReQuests) in order to go surround. Part of that was to appease my new bride, who balked at separate audio and video gear in the living room ("It looks more like an audio show room than a living room..."), so since I was combing gear, I thought I'd go to a surround sound single system. Live and learn.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm 2-CH like you are and have no interest in MCH either, although I liked it for many a movie. I wanted to focus more on music however, so I got out of it and don't miss it one iota. Thanks for your input on the SA11S. I'm a huge fan of the Marantz Reference line as I think they offer a product well above their price-point, in addition to having a sound I truly enjoy. One of the best bargains in audio IMHO.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I didn't get a chance to A/B it against the Sony since I sold it before the Sony 5400 arrived. I have to say that the Sony sounded mighty good, too, so it could have edged it out. My Esoteric pretty much sweeps the floor with the Sony! :)

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The multi-channel music in those days was crazy. It was to show off technology: "oh look, I can make a trumpet play from behind you" than thinking what was real and enjoyable. Multi-channel can create realism that is not remotely possible with stereo but that opportunity possible forever was squandered by those SACD and DVD-A releases.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks, everyone. I've made quite a CD/SACD journey, too: Meridian (their first, basically a modified Philips), then Marantz SA11S, Sony 5400ES, and finally, my current Esoteric K-03. My full system:
A friend had bought that Meridian CD player. For the benefit of others, it was a top (manual) loading CD player with no remote. So he asked me if I could build him a remote. We bought a Toy RF controlled machine from Radio Shack and I took out the receiver and wired the stop (?) button to it so that he could hit that and when he walked up to it, it would be ready to change the CD. Also had the pleasure of meeting with Bob Stuart the first time when he came to our local audio dealer and explained how he had modified the Philips player. Fun memories!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Very resourceful of you! Yes, it was a bit low on amenities, but it sounded pretty good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing