Hello from North Florida

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Beautiful setup but don't the amps cook the gear above them? Or do you have some kind of active cooling?

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Beautiful setup but don't the amps cook the gear above them? Or do you have some kind of active cooling?

I use a cooling fan behind each amplifier with speed controllers to slow them down to inaudible noise levels, and monitor the temperature in each amplifier shelf cavity with temperature sensors and a dual digital temperature display (top of rack behind LCD monitor for the server). At my normal listening levels the MC601's operate in the 92 degree range, and if pushed they operate about 10 degrees warmer. This is an acceptable temperature range with no heat issues for the amps or the components above them. My home is air conditioned, and the room temperature remains 77 degrees year round. I have had no issues with heat in this rack. I have tried operating the amps without the fans, and I get a 6 to 8 degree rise in the amplifier cavities, which I still deem as acceptable. I have the fans wired so they come on and go off with the preamp.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Sorry Dan, I just want to reply to Jeff here below.

Howdy, NS.

How ya been? What happened to the LOTREE moniker?

Lol. It's one of The Bobs from Office Space. And believe me, the pleasure is all on this side of the table.;)

-----Jeff, LOTREE is old and is not a good username for me.
NorthStar is much more appropriate for me: Bob from the Great White North (Canada, vast country land of the Indians).
...And much much more & better connections ...

But The Lord of the Rings Extended Editions Trilogy is still my second favorite trilogy
after Sergio Leone's trilogy of 'Once Upon A Time In The West' ('... In America', '... The Revolution').

* The Bobs; OK, I can dig. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing