Hello from North Florida

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Hello good people. My name is Dan. I have been lurking here for some time, and decided today was as good a day as any to become a member. WBF appears to be an interesting forum, particularly the audio side, which is where my interests exist. I may be new here, but I am a long time audio enthusiast, going back over four decades to my first tube McIntosh MC30 mono amplifiers in 1968. I was bitten by the audio bug way before that, but commitments and being poor kept me from building a sound system of any merit before then. Now I have two complete McIntosh systems, one in the living room, and one in my recording studio, plus a vintage McIntosh system in another room, not to mention far more other audio related equipment than I have time to play with. I have been a McIntosh enthusiast and owner for many years.

I hope to be able to contribute and learn here, as well as come to know other audio enthusiasts who share a passion for high-end audio. I have a great appreciation for many top audio companies both foreign and domestic, and I look forward to sharing knowledge and experiences with WBF members here.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is great to have you as a member. We can certainly use your contributions. It is also good to have another registered member from Florida. I went to college in south Florida. I lived there for years but sadly other than driving through I have not spent much time in northern Florida.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good morning and welcome Dan! We have several McIntosh owners/enthusiasts here so I'm sure they'll be glad you joined. It would be great if you could post a few pics of your setups, and perhaps tell us a bit about your music interests as well.

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Gentlemen.......I appreciate the welcome. My musical tastes are all over the board. Generally start my day enjoying fresh ground coffee and listening to solo piano (Liz Story, Ann Sweeten, George Winston, Tom Grant and others). Most days find me also listening to a fair amount of jazz (Houston Person, Gerry Mulligan, Jeff Golub, Paul Brown, Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Fourplay, Anthony Wilson, Four80east). I enjoy female jazz vocalists (Stacy Kent, Gabriela Anders, Jane Monheit, Diana Krall, Claire Martin, Diane Schuur, Jacintha, and many others). I am a blues and rock fan, too (Buddy Guy, Bonnie Raitt, Beth Hart, Debbie Davies, Duke Robillard, Keb Mo, Eric Clapton, Rory Block, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jeff Beck and others). I also like swing bands, both old and new (Glenn Miller, Harry James, Big Phat Band and others). I listen to some classical music but not much, prefering violin sonatas. I also enjoy new age (Aisha Duo, 2002, Billy McLaughlin, David Lanz, Enya, Gary Stadler and many others). I even have a small collection of country, prefering some of the older country artists versus what is presently released (Merl Haggard, Asleep At The Wheel, Delbert McClinton, Rosanne Cash). Like I said, my musical tastes are all over the place.

Here are a few photos of my studio system. There are two completely separate systems in this room, a two channel audio system and a home theater system. The two channel system is the rack on the left, the two amps in the middle and the two SF Amat Anniversario speakers. The home theater system is the rack on the right with the center channel speaker between the amps in the center.

Studio system w/MC601's
Studio1A.jpg

Studio System w/MC2301's
MC2301ampsinstudio1sml.jpg

Studio3A.jpg

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Good afternoon and welcome to the WBF, Dan from a sunny North Carolina! Glad to see that you joined. You had mentioned that you do some recording in your studio. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music do you record?

Oh BTW, unless it's on my end, I'm not seeing your attachments.

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Hi Dan, and tres content to see you here among our small community of Audio aficionados.* :b

And I like to wish you a very warm Welcome!

Bob

* Music/Video (Cinema) aficionados as well. :b

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good afternoon and welcome to the WBF, Dan from a sunny North Carolina! Glad to see that you joined. You had mentioned that you do some recording in your studio. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of music do you record?

Tom

Same here.....sadly.

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Hopefully I have corrected the attachment of both photos. If they still do not appear please let me know.

Bob.......Thank you for the warm welcome. WBF looks like a great forum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I see them. What I don't see is a picture of the house from outside. Likely it is tilted down on the side with all that gear! :D

Nice system....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sweet!

I think I'll just crawl back into my hole now.......

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida

Tom.......Thanks for the welcome, and hopefully the photos now appear.

I write songs and music when so inspired, and play guitar. I built the recording studio onto my home back in 2005 before I retired, knowing I would need something to keep me occupied in my leisure. What has now become my Studio two channel listening room and combination home theater was originally built and wired for recording. There are microphone inputs and headphone outputs all around the room, all wired into the control room. The JBL LSR6332's mounted on the wall supports, when not providing left and right channels for my home theater, can be configured for in studio monitoring and talkback, and are then powered with a Crown K1 amp in the control room on the other side of the wall. The control room has a window that looks into the studio side. My control room gear, mixers, digital and analog recording equipment, microphone amplifiers, noise gates, DAC's, voice harmonizer, and other electronics, plus a Roland Fantom X6 keyboard are in the control room.

View attachment 3755

View attachment 3756

View attachment 3757

Attachments

• StudioOct08-9sm.jpg
    StudioOct08-9sm.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 1,007
  • StudioReelssm1.jpg
    StudioReelssm1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 562
  • Acoustic6.jpg
    Acoustic6.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hopefully I have corrected the attachment of both photos. If they still do not appear please let me know.

Bob.......Thank you for the warm welcome. WBF looks like a great forum.

-----It sure is Dan; you're going to luv it here. :b

* Dan, at first look I thought that those JBL speakers were Height Front Surround ch. speakers.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Wow! Dan,

Beautiful studio and listening room photos. It really is nice to see you here. Thanks!

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Wow! Dan,

Beautiful studio and listening room photos. It really is nice to see you here. Thanks!

Joe.......I appreciate the warm welcome. Looks like a lot of interesting things are happening here.

It has been great fun to observe your enthusiasm and excitement with the new Burmester gear. I hope it brings you years of audio pleasure.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe.......I appreciate the warm welcome. Looks like a lot of interesting things are happening here.

It has been great fun to observe your enthusiasm and excitement with the new Burmester gear. I hope it brings you years of audio pleasure.

Dan,

I can't tell you how much I sincerely appreciate all your kind words and generous advice. There are many, many great people here and I am glad you are now a member. I KNOW your contributions will only make this forum better. I am totally blown away with the Burmester amps and preamp. My TAD CR-1's are just incredible at pulling out everything from all my music. I've been through a fair amount of gear and think I have finally reached a point where I can not imagine anything better. Thanks!

jdandy2

Jun 13, 2012
North Florida
Dan,

I can't tell you how much I sincerely appreciate all your kind words and generous advice. There are many, many great people here and I am glad you are now a member. I KNOW your contributions will only make this forum better. I am totally blown away with the Burmester amps and preamp. My TAD CR-1's are just incredible at pulling out everything from all my music. I've been through a fair amount of gear and think I have finally reached a point where I can not imagine anything better. Thanks!

Joe.......It is always my pleasure to be able to offer helpful and hopefully useful advice when I can. I have been helped many times myself on my audio journey. A young man named Carl Lang exposed me to McIntosh 44 years ago, and I have never been the same since.

What a tremendous place you have arrived at in your audio journey. I know building a system of this high caliber is not done haphazardly, or without commitment and sacrifice. I believe you truly have the main components that any audio enthusiast could easily live with for a lifetime. I really am happy for you.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thanks Dan,

This is really nice to read.

I come home every night from work and unwind with some great music. I get lost in what I am hearing and it makes me feel great. A song or piece of music that I enjoy tickles that little part of my brain that makes me feel happy. It's wonderful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing