Hello from Australia

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Greeting from Downunder happened here from a link associated with Rockport Technology speakers began reading and thought I would join as the brand above is one I aspire too. Reading the threads I noticed a number of names associated with reviews on equipment so the board appears to be well serviced with professional opinion on high end equipment.

I look forward to being an active part of the board and increasing my knowledge on subjects that interest me, thank you for the oppertunity to become a member of this forum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Let me add my welcome too. Beside the information, hopefully you find us pretty friendly too :).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Welcome Loco57!

Like Steve and Amir said....we have a very knowledgeable and friendly group here, and they hail from all corners of the world. It goes to show that one's love for audio reaches across every border and knows no boundaries. I hope you enjoy your stay and become involved!

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Thank you all for the generous welcome, some other boards I have been on seem to have a criteria you need to meet before anyone wants to talk to you just not into the "Snobs Club" I love HIFI for the enjoyment I get out of it and it is funny just how many people don't get it!

Frank, sorry can't tell you anything about the event I didn't manage to go unfortunately can't say I have heard anything about it to any degree either good bad or otherwise? I did however drop into Tivoli Hifi earlier this week to arrange for my Stax headphones to have the diaphrams replaced and just happened to have a listen to a pair of Wilson Sasha WP speakers for a couple of hours, interesting.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to welcome a new member living in GMT+11 from GMT !
Having members almost at the antipodes WBF can have an almost uninterrupted flow of great posts! :rolleyes:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Nice to welcome a new member living in GMT+11 from GMT !
Having members almost at the antipodes WBF can have an almost uninterrupted flow of great posts! :rolleyes:

How true

Our night time traffic has indeed been increasing

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Welcome to the forum Loco :)

The global flavor of WBF is one of the biggest attractions for me. This forum is a great resource for discovering new music and non-mainstream gear. The Blu-Ray, Book, and Food sections are rich with info as well.

Enjoy!

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Thank you Jack I will remember that if I am ever short on what to cook or a movie one night, no doubt a thoroughly well rounded bunch a sign of good breeding!

Whatmore very nearly a legendary name ( slightly different spelling ) no relation I assume? I had the pleasure of meeting with the late Colin Whatmough a number of times and very much wanted to purchase a pair of his Paragon speakers that I listened to on a number of occasions, a true gentlemen and all round nice guy sorely missed.

Thank you for the welcome.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think Turntable is an Aussie as well. I cannot remember - is Shane's moniker Turntable here?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thank you Jack I will remember that if I am ever short on what to cook or a movie one night, no doubt a thoroughly well rounded bunch a sign of good breeding!

Whatmore very nearly a legendary name ( slightly different spelling ) no relation I assume? I had the pleasure of meeting with the late Colin Whatmough a number of times and very much wanted to purchase a pair of his Paragon speakers that I listened to on a number of occasions, a true gentlemen and all round nice guy sorely missed.

Thank you for the welcome.

No relation to the late Colin although I did choose a similar monicker in honour of the first 'real' speakers I owned - whatmough 502i.

I heard the paragons for the first time just last week and must admit that I had mixed feelings about them.....

Loco57

Dec 1, 2011
Melbourne Australia
I would be interested in your opinion on the Paragons as I looked very closely at a pair of these and had a number of auditions with Colin so would very much like your take on the speakers, superb build quality and I assume still powered by the Moon equipment?

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I would be interested in your opinion on the Paragons as I looked very closely at a pair of these and had a number of auditions with Colin so would very much like your take on the speakers, superb build quality and I assume still powered by the Moon equipment?

I had an odd experience with the paragons: with CDs that the sales guy was using, they sounded brilliant. Superb holographic soundstage, tight bass, lovely mids and highs. I've heard quite a few speakers in that price range and above that I couldn't stand, but not the paragons, I wanted to sell my speakes and start again.
Then...... I put on some of my CDs and was completely underwhelmed. The sound was thin (to me whatmough speakers are slightly warm so this really surprised me) and the bass didn't sound properly integrated. The sales guy said something about the speakers being very revealing of source material. Personally, I think the difference was that the demo discs were 'typical' demo discs - female vocal, acoustic guitar etc. My 'test' discs are much more in your face, well recorded but certainly not laid back.

I had a hunt around on SNA an found this thread which seems to agree with my thoughts. Also for the price you should also listen to SGR speakers who are also in Melbourne. Completely different sound but worth considering.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing