Have We Become Conditioned Permanently to Hi-Fi Sound?

rlawry

Sep 18, 2012
Hi, Everyone: I am a relatively new poster to the WBF Forum although I have been an audiophile for over 40 years and have posted many times on other forums.

I have something on my mind after attending a couple of recent audiophile shows and also listening to systems at dealers. I am concerned that we have become permanently conditioned to "audiophile" or "hi-fi" sound.

At these recent shows I heard this "hi-fi" sound in virtually every room, as I have heard at dealers. You know what I mean: that indistinguishable bright, boomy "punch-and-sizzle." The preponderance of low treble brightness, prominent bass, those smaller-than-life pinpoint images that I maintain are an artifact of the recording process, the wide and high but shallow soundstage, the hyped up detail that sounds unnatural to me. This sound was everywhere at these audiophile shows. I found myself running quickly out of these rooms after being assaulted sonically by this "hi-fi" sound. Oftentimes it was a relief just to get out of there.

Maybe we are being conditioned to this type of sound. We certainly hear a lot of this type of sound from all of the mid-fi systems around. I hear it in my gym, in stores, etc. We often hear it at concerts that are highly amplified. I recently heard it at a local show featuring Tom Scott, Dave Mason, and Eric Burdon, one that was amplified to the point that I wore the earplugs that I brought to protect my hearing.

But I don't hear this sound at my son's high school wind ensemble concerts, nor at any of the other high school band concerts there at the same time such as choral groups, string ensemble, jazz concert bands, marching bands. I don't hear it at almost weekly musical events in my church. I don't hear it at local acoustic band concerts. I remember not hearing it at a local rendition of a children's Peter and the Wolf presentation. What I hear is a warmer, fuller, more dynamic sound, one with more immediacy and obviously presence. Bass drums don't overwhelm but have much more of a thud than an overwhelming thump. Highs are more natural and don't sound like cans of spray mist being actuated. There is much more of a robust, 3-dimensional sound.

What is funny is that I almost never hear this type of natural sound with hi-fi. Yes, we often talk about how sound systems will never perfectly reproduce live sound and this is true to some extent. However, I heard this natural sound in a few rooms at a recent audiophile show. I have heard it in the past from a few, very expensive systems. This is probably due to the fact that almost every system at shows is of the high-priced variety, shows devolving into showcases for very expensive systems only. And I indeed heard it there in a few rooms with expensive systems. Yet I also heard this non-hi-fi, natural sound in a couple of rooms that featured inexpensive speakers and even inexpensive electronics. In fact, I bought a pair of inexpensive speakers that I thought displayed one of the most natural sounds I have heard at any price.

So the question is: are we blaming this hi-fi sound on poor show room conditions as usual? You know, bad room acoustics, contaminated electricity, too many people in the room, the usual suspects? Or are equipment manufacturers deliberately targeting this sound? Are they developing, voicing, and manufacturing this bright, boomy, midrange-reticent, pinpoint image, flat soundstage, hyperdetailed type of sound because it is what sells?

What do you think? Am I correct in my reasoning or am I full of milk?

Roger

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Excellent post .. TO answer it i believe we have become addicted to "Hi-Fi" sound. I even think there is a characteristic, unmistakable High End sound to many (most?) systems. Waiting for the members reaction ..great, great question.

Welcome Roger first time I have read a post from you

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My own analogy of hi-fry sound is comparing TV's on showroom floors. Tiger, Tiger, burning bright, florescent blue torches with candy cane colors. Carnival time to attract the buyers with sturm, drang and Diana Krall. Drippy female vocals and variations of elevator music for shell shocked nerves.

Moving past that takes practice, but the carnival is still fun to visit.

I imagine there will be a lot of it at RMAF.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have to agree. Recently we went to a live concert that was in a large community hall. They were playing Banjo. As you, my first reaction was that it did not sound like any recorded and reproduced version of the same that I had heard. Part of it of course was the fact that it was in a huge hall. The bass is always better there and sound gets diffused which does not happen in our small listening spaces and certainly not in hotel rooms.

Also, shows are focused on what they think will sell. Chris Jones sells systems so that is why that one track is used by so many people. That probably distorts the view one gets of the sound as that track gets so much play.

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
My recent experience of High End is that an awful lot of speakers are designed with multiple drive units widely separated and firing off in funny directions which, to me, produces very unnatural comb-filtered effects and distinct 'holes' in the sound. The inexpensive speakers are smaller, and have all the drive units close together and facing in the same direction.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I don't know how much milk you've drunk, Roger, but your ears are pretty good. I think most audio systems, from midfi up, sound exaggerated in the upper and lower mids and are just plain played too loud most of the time. Larger than life seems to be the game. When audiophiles start talking about speakers being dull, boring and lifeless, I begin to get interested. And I don't think this is a recent phenomenon. I started chasing boring sound decades ago :). The exception, for me, is imaging. I've heard large bipolar speakers with lots of space to play into sound very natural on good acoustic recordings. But to me the pinpoint imaging is a substitute for the visual cues I don't get when listening to recordings. I miss it.

Tim

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I agree, and used to have a system where, in hi-end terms. did all correctly - but it was until I tried another amp when I realized that now I was having fun listening to it. Usually a hi-end-correct system is boring and un-engaging. Good post since some of us are attending RMAF shortly. :)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hi Roger. Welcome. Of course these reproduction systems pale in comparision to the real thing, so it's pick your poison in terms of sonic departures from the real thing. I don't spend enough time getting out there hearing other equipment so I can't say what direction manufacturers are veering in; I gather you could get completely different sounds from high end solid state big dynamics vs electrostats or other panels vs. tubes vs. horns vs. digital vs. vinyl and none of them 'right.' I do spend a fair amount of time hearing live acts though. I think hi-fi is very much in a bubble in the sense that equipment is compared to equipment, and even then, it's hard to get meaningful opportunities to hear gear in controlled conditions in a system based fashion.
You'll have fun here- there are views from every faction. Me, I'm from the subjectivist, vinyl/tube/horn school with a minor in electrostats. :)
Again, welcome.

rlawry

Sep 18, 2012
What is concerning, to me at least, is how far we have veered away from what sounds natural in favor of what sounds "hi-fi." It seems as if treble brightness, bass prominence, and hyped-up detail is the gold standard that I hear at shows and dealers. Funny story, at the recent Newport Beach Show I was in a room with a very expensive system consisting of what retailed for at least $200K, a set of big speakers, tube preamp and amps, and all analog front end. The noises coming from the speakers sounded full and lush with the middle-of-the-road female vocalist recording that the dealer was playing. All was well in audiophile land. Then another listener pulled out a Steely Dan LP, one of which I am very familiar, from his backpack and the system was instantly transformed into a hyper-detailed, flat, cardboardy, mechanical-sounding system that was the antithesis of natural sound for which vinyl and tube equpment is often noted. I also heard a system at a dealer's that contained a pair of popular, VERY expensive speakers, and they sounded identical to that speaker manufacturer's much less expensive faire. You guessed it, hi-fi sound. I kept looking around for what surely was an inexpensive front end and electronics, only to find a pair of impressively expensive tube monoblocks and the most expensive turntable I have ever seen in the flesh. At the same dealer was another room with far less expensive components with, you guessed correctly again, very smooth and natural sonics including an absolutely gorgeous midrange. Go figure. So I maintain that this hi-fi sound is a design parameter, not merely an accident, and the savvy dealer had both hi-fi and natural sound displayed in the hopes of hooking audiophiles with more than one type of taste in sound.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yet I also heard this non-hi-fi, natural sound in a couple of rooms that featured inexpensive speakers and even inexpensive electronics. In fact, I bought a pair of inexpensive speakers that I thought displayed one of the most natural sounds I have heard at any price.

Roger

Hi Roger and welcome to WBF! I experienced this very same thing at an audio show last year. Although I cannot remember the brands, I seem to remember the speakers coming from Australia. In any event, the CD setup was in one of the smallest rooms there, yet had some of the best sound. If I were the only one saying this you'd have your doubts (as would I), but in speaking with people afterwards and discussing the show in a forum (not here) there were many that were impressed by this $5,000 system.

Perhaps manufacturers need to approach manufacturing form the perspective of the consumer and not the measurements they feel they need to achieve. I'm not suggesting that measurements aren't important, as surely they are, but maybe they are producing measurements to better their competition and feel they must continue this focus. I'll bet the system I heard didn't come close to the data that some of the big boys in audio can claim, but it did sound better. Why is that? How can that be? I don't have the answer, but maybe some designers are more in tune with music, while others seems more engaged in creating a better measured box. I don't know.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I think that old/middle aged, sweaty pot bellied men should be banned from audio shows. Except for me, of course, the rest can come back when I am done listening.

I think they are bad for acoustics. I remember the D'Agostino display at CAS 2011 in a small room. It was the battle of the bulge, or pot belly billiards. I had to bounce off three or four guys just to get in and out of the room.

Maybe boom and sizzle are acoustic compensators for the clientel.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I think that old/middle aged, sweaty pot bellied men should be banned from audio shows. Except for me, of course, the rest can come back when I am done listening.

I think they are bad for acoustics. I remember the D'Agostino display at CAS 2011 in a small room. It was the battle of the bulge, or pot belly billiards. I had to bounce off three or four guys just to get in and out of the room.

This is quite funny, and sadly, true.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think the general population is attracted to boom and sizzle. It does get attention. Has anybody noticed how rooms get filled up after the guys manning 'em throw on a percussion demo? Like moths to a flame.

Fact is, anybody with the smallest amount of set up experience can make any system boom and sizzle. The question for us show participants is whether to do so to make a first impression or not to deliberately screw up the sound in hopes of making a more lasting positive one. We take the latter approach.

When we discuss shows amongst ourselves (the distributors and dealers), the consensus is that hyping up the sound sells faster but also trails off fast, while proper set up has customers coming back a month or more after. Average unit sales over time is pretty much the same.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

Last year someone took a picture of the line waiting to get inside RMAF and getting their show badges and it looked like a line for people applying for Social Security. The hottest woman I saw at the show was Israel Blume's wife who was enticing people outside of the room to come inside.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
When I went to the headphone show earlier this year, I guess a lot of the pro and non pro exhibitors were exchanging various and sundry libations amongst themselves, they had pictures of their booze along with their setups in the post meeting photos posted online.

I never even noticed, duh.

Later in the day, a few young tidbit females circulated, probably promo'd by the manufacturers to loosen wallets and create the illusion/delusion that a nerd based hobby might be sexy.

If you want to impress chicks, I think you should stick to expensive cars.

Maybe pheromone impregnated headsets? Then the expensive cars.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
When I went to the headphone show earlier this year, I guess a lot of the pro and non pro exhibitors were exchanging various and sundry libations amongst themselves, they had pictures of their booze along with their setups in the post meeting photos posted online.

I never even noticed, duh.

Later in the day, a few young tidbit females circulated, probably promo'd by the manufacturers to loosen wallets and create the illusion/delusion that a nerd based hobby might be sexy.

If you want to impress chicks, I think you should stick to expensive cars.

Maybe pheromone impregnated headsets? Then the expensive cars.

-----Man, you're pretty dead on, I think. :b

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi, Everyone: I am a relatively new poster to the WBF Forum although I have been an audiophile for over 40 years and have posted many times on other forums.

I have something on my mind after attending a couple of recent audiophile shows and also listening to systems at dealers. I am concerned that we have become permanently conditioned to "audiophile" or "hi-fi" sound.

At these recent shows I heard this "hi-fi" sound in virtually every room, as I have heard at dealers. You know what I mean: that indistinguishable bright, boomy "punch-and-sizzle." The preponderance of low treble brightness, prominent bass, those smaller-than-life pinpoint images that I maintain are an artifact of the recording process, the wide and high but shallow soundstage, the hyped up detail that sounds unnatural to me. This sound was everywhere at these audiophile shows. I found myself running quickly out of these rooms after being assaulted sonically by this "hi-fi" sound. Oftentimes it was a relief just to get out of there.

Maybe we are being conditioned to this type of sound. We certainly hear a lot of this type of sound from all of the mid-fi systems around. I hear it in my gym, in stores, etc. We often hear it at concerts that are highly amplified. I recently heard it at a local show featuring Tom Scott, Dave Mason, and Eric Burdon, one that was amplified to the point that I wore the earplugs that I brought to protect my hearing.

But I don't hear this sound at my son's high school wind ensemble concerts, nor at any of the other high school band concerts there at the same time such as choral groups, string ensemble, jazz concert bands, marching bands. I don't hear it at almost weekly musical events in my church. I don't hear it at local acoustic band concerts. I remember not hearing it at a local rendition of a children's Peter and the Wolf presentation. What I hear is a warmer, fuller, more dynamic sound, one with more immediacy and obviously presence. Bass drums don't overwhelm but have much more of a thud than an overwhelming thump. Highs are more natural and don't sound like cans of spray mist being actuated. There is much more of a robust, 3-dimensional sound.

What is funny is that I almost never hear this type of natural sound with hi-fi. Yes, we often talk about how sound systems will never perfectly reproduce live sound and this is true to some extent. However, I heard this natural sound in a few rooms at a recent audiophile show. I have heard it in the past from a few, very expensive systems. This is probably due to the fact that almost every system at shows is of the high-priced variety, shows devolving into showcases for very expensive systems only. And I indeed heard it there in a few rooms with expensive systems. Yet I also heard this non-hi-fi, natural sound in a couple of rooms that featured inexpensive speakers and even inexpensive electronics. In fact, I bought a pair of inexpensive speakers that I thought displayed one of the most natural sounds I have heard at any price.

So the question is: are we blaming this hi-fi sound on poor show room conditions as usual? You know, bad room acoustics, contaminated electricity, too many people in the room, the usual suspects? Or are equipment manufacturers deliberately targeting this sound? Are they developing, voicing, and manufacturing this bright, boomy, midrange-reticent, pinpoint image, flat soundstage, hyperdetailed type of sound because it is what sells?

What do you think? Am I correct in my reasoning or am I full of milk?

Roger

Psychologically, we become "conditioned to" whatever we experience a lot, whether it is the hi-fi sound you are referring to, tubes, vinyl, digital, etc.

See my post in the Magico thread for the psychological theory underpinnings of what I'm talking about:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ormance-series&p=138849&viewfull=1#post138849

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Did anyone ever do this excerise in art class in school? Take a complicated drawing of a person's face...try to copy it. Most of us start with round circle for a face...2 round circles for eyes...and end up with a cartoon. Our brains are wired to know eyes are round, so is a face...so when we see even a bad drawing, we automatically say 'person's face'...we cannot help it.
HOWEVER, turn the complicated drawing of that person's face UPSIDE DOWN...and try to copy it. It is fascinating how good your copy becomes!!! You stop drawing a circle for a face, etc...which you are 'conditioned' to do...because you are no longer looking at a complicated drawing of face..but the brain sees a series of complex shadows, etc...you end up drawing quite a good copy (most of us anyway)...and when you turn your drawing rightside up...most people are shocked at how good it is. We had 16 in a classroom...and it was remarkable how good these drawings were...by kids who definitely did not 'know how to draw'.

I wonder if audio is similar...we hear a sax...whether off mp3, table radio or super-system...and we are conditioned to know 'its a sax'...even if it is too high pitched, thin, thick, tinny, flat, nasal...we cannot help it. We KNOW it is a sax. But if we could somehow do the same as the art exercise above (no idea how!)...i wonder what we would all think of our audio systems.

I wonder what would happen if some took a CD of ordinary sounds which we almost never hear on our systems...standing next to a car engine when someoen starts the ignition (room filling bass, etc), or a truck trying to back up (rumble plus high pitched ring)...would that help us compare real to audio better? No idea. Just a thought.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing