Have any DartZeel owners moved onto other brands?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Alexandre: I did have another pair Amati Anniversario stand right next my Sasha, I switch between the speakers for different types of music, as Amati can play violin so musical no other speaker can (maybe the newer SF model or the bigger brother can). I still like the Sasha for its exciting music playback and liveness, and I think its cost/performance is quite high, some other speakers may better the Sasha but the price may not be in the same range.

Having said that, I am still very intrested which speaker your friend replace the Sasha and have better synergy with darTZeel?

He auditioned a Magico Q3, but preferred the YG Anats. I prefered the Q3 :D Both were much, MUCH better than the Sashas in this setup.
I've also had the Amati Anniversario, a great speaker, no doubt :)
I don't know how much the Sashas cost where you live, but their cost/performance is pretty low around here, where an Alexia costs US$ 125k... Both the YG and Magico have much better pricing...

alexandre

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
asiufy-

I demo'd Luxman Class A this past weekend and indeed was quite unimpressed. Or at least the combo with my speakers is poor to say the least- a warm, no attack, mess of a sound. Dart still remains my best SS demo.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
KeithR,

It's fun to test different amps and all (I'm guilty of doing it), but you just won't find anything better than the darTZeel. These days I end up testing things just for the heck of it, as I don't expect anything to be substantially better than what I have.

Bruce,

Yes. It's even on the cover of the local audiophile magazine. Apparently, it's the first WA speaker they've liked.
Sashas were US$ 55k, relatively cheap in comparison :D
Everything costs 2x to 3x here.

alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Bruce,

Yes. It's even on the cover of the local audiophile magazine. Apparently, it's the first WA speaker they've liked.
Sashas were US$ 55k, relatively cheap in comparison :D
Everything costs 2x to 3x here.

alexandre

Alexandre, where are you based ? Is that a local euro pricing ?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
In Brazil, one of the most corrupt countries on Earth.

alexandre

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
He auditioned a Magico Q3, but preferred the YG Anats. I prefered the Q3 :D Both were much, MUCH better than the Sashas in this setup.
I've also had the Amati Anniversario, a great speaker, no doubt :)
I don't know how much the Sashas cost where you live, but their cost/performance is pretty low around here, where an Alexia costs US$ 125k... Both the YG and Magico have much better pricing...

alexandre

Alexandre, thanks for the information. I do like the YG as I posted before and I would ilke to listen to Magico more seriously as I have not gave it serious listening session before, all my listening were in the audio show and I was not very impressed. Price wise YG Anats and Q 3 are more expensive than Sasha here so if I can not add on my budget, I will stick with Sasha for a while.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Vin-Wei,

I've heard the other day, at the importer's room, the Magico S5 and S1, with Constellation and Soulution (series 5) electronics. Fantastic! The S1 plays louder (and with more bass) than they appear to. They're actually a bit bigger in person than in the pictures I've seen... Anyway, both were great!
I reckon the S1 would be cheaper than a Sasha, like half the price, and, for my liking, is considerably better, with the S5 being even more so.

alexandre

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have the S5s, but have heard the S1. I also owned Sashas for 3 years. IMO the S1 is a better speaker in many ways.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
In Brazil, one of the most corrupt countries on Earth.

alexandre

That because all the money is concentrated in plastic surgeons down there :)

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
I use a Dartzeel 108 to drive my Magico Q1. I have also a Devialet, an APL amp (and a old Gryphon Antileon that I just sold). None of them sound as good. The Dartzeel really brings magic to the Magico, really shows how transparent and musical these speakers are. Only amp I heard which sounded as well (or better?) than the Dartzeel is Vitus. Would have to listen to it in the same room.
I am waiting for my Magico Ultimate. 115dB sensitivity, so power will not be a problem. Using 4 Dartzeel in parallel in an active set up is an option I am considering...

A friend of mine had the Magico Mini 2. He replaced his Dartzeel 108 with a Soulution. And he doesn't regret the move.

Vin-Wei

Oct 3, 2011
I use a Dartzeel 108 to drive my Magico Q1. I have also a Devialet, an APL amp (and a old Gryphon Antileon that I just sold). None of them sound as good. The Dartzeel really brings magic to the Magico, really shows how transparent and musical these speakers are. Only amp I heard which sounded as well (or better?) than the Dartzeel is Vitus. Would have to listen to it in the same room.
I am waiting for my Magico Ultimate. 115dB sensitivity, so power will not be a problem. Using 4 Dartzeel in parallel in an active set up is an option I am considering...

A friend of mine had the Magico Mini 2. He replaced his Dartzeel 108 with a Soulution. And he doesn't regret the move.

Soulution would be an interesting option as I heard a lot of good thing about it, the only problem is the Soulution 7 series amp are too big, I prefer amp which I can move by myself, 5 series look very common and hard to justify its price tag. Is there a Soulution fourm here?

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
Soulution would be an interesting option as I heard a lot of good thing about it, the only problem is the Soulution 7 series amp are too big, I prefer amp which I can move by myself, 5 series look very common and hard to justify its price tag. Is there a Soulution fourm here?
Don't underestimate the serie 5. It is a very good amp... even if you spend less money for a sexy enclosure.
The Dartzeel sounds warmer, a bit more colored ("tube like"). The Soulution is more neutral, a tad more transparent. Both are great amps.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Don't underestimate the serie 5. It is a very good amp... even if you spend less money for a sexy enclosure.
The Dartzeel sounds warmer, a bit more colored ("tube like"). The Soulution is more neutral, a tad more transparent. Both are great amps.

IMHO, it's not the darTZeel that's coloured, it's the Soulution that's sterile and analytical, neutral to fault.

I've heard both series 5 and 7, and they have the same sound characteristic, which I didn't like. For the kind of music I listen, there's just no meat on the bones, it's just a very dry, yet very detailed presentation.

alexandre

stereo

Sep 1, 2012
IMHO, it's not the darTZeel that's coloured, it's the Soulution that's sterile and analytical, neutral to fault.

I've heard both series 5 and 7, and they have the same sound characteristic, which I didn't like. For the kind of music I listen, there's just no meat on the bones, it's just a very dry, yet very detailed presentation.

alexandre
I see where you are coming from. Don't get me wrong: I love my Dartzeel, but I admit it is colored, the same way a good triode amp is (very) colored. It is just a pleasing coloration for the ear....

hvbias

Jun 22, 2012
New England area

That's quite an upgrade. Does the Ultimate have the Magico house sound? I thought the Ultimate had stopped being made after their product line of box speakers started to gain traction.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dreams of Field

"If you come, they will build it"

:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing