Has the Fat Lady Sung?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My wife and I attend more classical music concerts than most - 60-80 a year, mostly in the SF Bay Area and about 25% in our annual sojourn to London. In general, being in our late '60's we are among the younger half to third in most all audiences. The only fortunate demographic is that people are living longer and seem to be healthier. Not sure about their hearing however. We see more people in wheelchairs and using walkers and other mobility devices among the audiences. The London audiences are a bit younger, but not much. They do seem to have a fair fraction who are in their twenties and thirties, while the younger people in the SF area concerts are often children and teens (frequently of Asian parents) who are brought to the concerts by their parents (often mothers).

The point of music programs being eliminated from public schools may be significant cause of the lack of interest from young people. In the past couple of years the two concerts I remember most for having a large number of young people was one with clarinetist Martin Frost (wearing rather tight leather pants) and other with percussionist Colin Currie who dazzled the audience playing with the Philharmonia and nine different instruments (both concerts in London). I didn't notice whether there was a younger than usual audience at a recital of pianist Yuja Wang, where she wore one of her micro mini skirts and sky high heels.

One important trend to attract a wider audience are the simulcasts and rebroadcasts of opera at local movie theaters. Both the Met (which is doing the most) and the Royal Opera are doing this and there may be others.

Certainly opera, ballet and orchestral concerts at the highest level are generally not for the poor. There are cheap seats, but not too many. Also most all of the performances are heavily subsidized by contributors (and the government in the case of London). It reminds me of the era before the 19th century when the wealthy in Europe had their own orchestras - essentially the government subsidizing music. This is also true of the fine arts - where the great art collections of the world were almost all created by the very wealthy and now reside in places subsidized by the governments or wealthy individuals.

An interesting phenomenon in Asia is occurring with the sponsorship of orchestras by corporations. The one that attracted my attention is the Malaysian Philharmonic, based in Kuala Lumpur. It is basically the orchestra of the Petronas Oil Company. They have imported a large number of their players from overseas, mainly Europe, as well as their conductors. They have several recordings on BIS. However, there are dangers with changes in the economy or management and this is happening to them right now. BTW, this was true in the old days, when a wealthy patron to a composer would die and be succeeded by a tone-deaf relative - happened to Bach among others.

Finally, recordings of classical music are suffering from the same problems with the skyrocketing costs of large productions. There are essentially no studio recordings of operas (those released are of live performances either staged or concert performances) and many of the orchestral recordings are of either regional orchestras, usually non-US based, or major orchestras who record on their own labels - again mostly at live performances, where the musicians are not paid extra, except for potential royalties.

Larry

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
The world constantly changes why cannot it just be that. Nothing stays as it was , look at movie attendance
. I think the answer is the we have more choices to pick from and as such less of anything that was . Most want something newer. Now I am not saying the changes are all good but we cannot be accurate in our judgment as we are the elders
. For the real answers we need to ask the younger people . Just my thought.

Al

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I did not care for classical, or country, or soul, or folk, or bluegrass, etc. when I was younger. Only rock, and it had to be hard rock. For whatever reason, about 7-8 years ago I started listening to classical when I worked from home since I found it relaxing and not distracting. Since then I have amassed hundreds of classical CDs, mostly chamber, string quartets, viola, etc. with no singing. I still despise the fat lady music, along with symphonies with bombastic horns. Lyrics and noise are to distracting while trying to listen to music. I still like rock, but it is now on Friday or Saturday night after a few beers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing