Has anyone had an item shipped from portugal to usa?

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
I just bought a boulder 1021 on agon from a gentlemen in Portugal- he then tells me he cannot ship to usa because in portugal you need a commercial invoice and since he is a private person he cannot get one so he refunded my money- I have bought and sold many items all over the world and never had this problem- has anyone heard of this or is it sellers remorse in which case i will report him to agon for what its worth- thanks

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Where's microstrip

I was just watching the last news from Boston on the TV - really a terrible event. :( .

It is true that sending valuable goods from our country to another one outside The European Community is a complicated issue for a private sender. Unless you know very well the receiver and have reasons to trust him, my general advice would be do not sell. Remember that in order to fully insure the goods you have to supply invoices, pay export certifications, and this takes a lot of time and work. If anything goes wrong it will be a lot of problems - for example the claim papers will have to be translated and stamped in the Embassies!

I learn recently that sending from USA to Europe can be also complicated affair. I bought some expensive goods from an exceptionally friendly member of WBF and almost felt troubled when I learned all the nuisance he had to go through to send the parcel.

Some people risk on sending goods without the proper papers and insurances - to be true I would prefer sending them to the dump than doing it. For me audio should be a source of pleasure not a distressing activity. We can find carriers that will do all the work for you, but then you risk that shipping costs more than the goods!

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
It goes both ways. It is becoming increasingly difficult to ship heavy merchandise out of the US, too. It's barely worth the effort.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have bought and sold many items (small and large) internationally, balance have been very possitive. Professional packing, clear communications and insurance mitigate risks dramatically.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing