Harvey Mason - With All My Heart

American Audiophile

Aug 17, 2010
Stuart, FL
Another gem found at the local library. This project by Harvey Mason using many different musicians in a trio or quartet with him on drums is a testament to the skill and artistry of Harvey Mason.

Because Harvey Mason has appeared so frequently as a sideman on lots of smooth jazz dates, one tends to think of him solely within that genre, even though his roots are in straight-ahead jazz.

This rare date as a leader features the drummer leading a series of 11 different piano-bass-drums trios, primarily in post-bop, bop or hard bop settings. His arrangement of "Bernie's Tune" is very refreshing, utilizing reoccurring displaced rhythm behind Kenny Barron and Ron Carter. The magic continues with Chick Corea and Dave Carpenter in their creative rendition of "If I Should Lose You." Victor Feldman's less familiar "So Near, So Far" features Fred Hersch and Eddie Gomez, though the expected influence of the late Bill Evans is minimal. But elder statesman Hank Jones steals the spotlight with his elegant interpretation of "Tess," a tune that was brand new to him; Mason and Jones' longtime bassist George Mraz joins him. Some of the other participating musicians for this project include Monty Alexander, Charlie Haden, Cedar Walton, Mulgrew Miller, Herbie Hancock, Brad Mehldau, Bob James and Dave Grusin.

Mason's informative liner notes not only describe how each take came together in the studio but add background about his relationship to each musician or what appealed to him about each individual's playing. The only oversight on this terrific release is the inadvertent omission of track-by-track composer credits, though a few of them are included within Mason's commentary.

Track Listing:

1 Bernie's Tune
2 If I Should Lose You
3 So Near, So Far
4 Swamp Fire
5 Smoke Gets in Your Eyes
6 Hindsight
7 Dindi
8 Without a Song
9 One Morning in May
10 Speak Like a Child
11 Tess

Musician Credits:

Monty Alexander Piano
Kenny Barron Piano
Dave Carpenter Bass
Chick Corea Piano
Eddie Gomez Bass
Larry Grenadier Bass
Dave Grusin Piano
Charlie Haden Bass
Herbie Hancock Piano
Fred Hersch Piano
Bob James Piano
Hank Jones Piano
Harvey Mason, Sr. Drums
Brad Mehldau Piano
Mulgrew Miller Piano
George Mraz Bass
Michael Valerio Bass
Cedar Walton Piano

As you can see by the above musician list, these are serious jazz stars in their own right. The very indepth liner booklet offers deeper insight into the making of these sessions. Do not confuse the music here, with what he does on Fourplay or with Grusin and James. Although both Dave Grusin and Bob James are on this CD. This is great american jazz not in the smooth jazz vein. Highly recommended by yours truly, don't miss hearing this very unique experience. If real jazz is your bag, then get this one. I now have in my permanent rotation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing