Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
It figures. I need everything regrown, except hair. :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great. I have been reading that the cure for hair loss will come in a few years. This is definitely a proof point in that.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm getting by just fine without hair, and frankly, I find this pathetic. No system is perfect; this is a demonstration of a primary weakness of free market capitalism. Can't get big pharma to make the eradication of AIDs affordable to the third world, but they'll invest billions in erections and hair.

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I'm getting by just fine without hair, and frankly, I find this pathetic. No system is perfect; this is a demonstration of a primary weakness of free market capitalism. Can't get big pharma to make the eradication of AIDs affordable to the third world, but they'll invest billions in erections and hair.

Tim

While I agree with you in principle, before we get all sanctimonious about this, lets not forget that the pursuit of perfection in audio reproduction (largely by affluent (balding?) middle aged man), is not exactly a showcase of resource allocation to the most socially beneficial activities. I would even go as far as suggesting that resources diverted to the Shunyata and Transparent audio R&A labs would contribute more to the betterment of the human conditions if applied towards technical innovation to improve sanitary conditions in India or better housing in the shantytowns of Capetown, as opposed to the design of cables to sell for $3K a piece to guys like me....

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
While I agree with you in principle, before we get all sanctimonious about this, lets not forget that the pursuit of perfection in audio reproduction (largely by affluent (balding?) middle aged man), is not exactly a showcase of resource allocation to the most socially beneficial activities. I would even go as far as suggesting that resources diverted to the Shunyata and Transparent audio R&A labs would contribute more to the betterment of the human conditions if applied towards technical innovation to improve sanitary conditions in India or better housing in the shantytowns of Capetown, as opposed to the design of cables to sell for $3K a piece to guys like me....

Fair enough, but a much broader point that gets way outside of the realm of research and medicine, and into luxury products that are taking nothing away from important research. My point is that healthcare is no place for the profit motive to be the primary driver, and this is about as good an example as I can think of. Take the humanitarian/foreign aid elements out of it. I'd be willing to bet big pharma has spent more on getting middle aged men erect and curing premature baldness than it has on lots of horrible diseases for which there just isn't a sufficient market.

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Fair enough, but a much broader point that gets way outside of the realm of research and medicine, and into luxury products that are taking nothing away from important research. My point is that healthcare is no place for the profit motive to be the primary driver, and this is about as good an example as I can think of. Take the humanitarian/foreign aid elements out of it. I'd be willing to bet big pharma has spent more on getting middle aged men erect and curing premature baldness than it has on lots of horrible diseases for which there just isn't a sufficient market.

Tim

I disagree. I don't see a fundamental difference between diverting resources to developing medicine to cure ED or baldness rather than malaria and AIDS, and say watering golf courses rather than providing clean water to a rural village in India. I'm also realistic / honest enough to acknowledge that I am integral part of this "system" (as are you), and just count my blessings of being born in the right place at the right time.

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I disagree. I don't see a fundamental difference between diverting resources to addressing medicine to cure ED or baldness rather than malaria and AIDS, and say watering golf courses rather than providing clean water to a rural village in India. I'm also realistic / honest enough to acknowledge that I am integral part of this "system" (as are you), and just count my blessings of being born in the right place at the right time.

Reasonable men can do that :), though in this case I wouldn't disagree if there's any chance the water soaking into that golf course could actually get to that villiage in India, if they were controlled by the same industry/company, if the connection was direct and an active decision was being made between the two things. In the case of big pharma, they make very conscious choices, from options that are right in front of them, to spend their R&D dollars where there is the greatest potential market, not where there is the greatest potential need. I don't blame, them, mind you. They are publicly-traded companies and their only objectives is returning shareholder value. They really can't be expected to do anything else.

Tim

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
People may say I have a bald head.

It's a solar panel for a sex machine!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing