Gregadds' CAF coverage 2023

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Sigh! Mishaps happen. But it had to happen in the middle of a tape demo Myles was doing just when the crescendo of Hope by Hugh Masekela hit. On tape. With huge dynamics. The volume on the prototype preamp went to maximum. Not good.

Luckily, I had tweeter protection, and under-hung voice coils so the voice coil didn't bottom out. But the metal cones bent enough that I could hear the damage. Soundstage, the separation of images from the speakers, and all the magic of those speakers were lost.
Oh no! Man, I feel bad that this happened to you, Gary. That must have been very disappointing, on so many levels. What a bummer.

Tom

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I promise to get the name and price of these two accessesories.

Vpi was a rather large wooden turntable platform
Details yo follow

Also in the Vinni Rossi room they were showing some diffusers.
Custom covers can be fitted with almost any image you desire

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Oh no! Man, I feel bad that this happened to you, Gary. That must have been very disappointing, on so many levels. What a bummer.

Tom

Thanks Tom. On the bright side, we then got to play the really affordable system much more and that sounded great!

Greg was too tall for the short speakers, but on a lower chair than the conference chairs we had, I think that he enjoyed them.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now that I am home from the show I can say,what an adventure. That is the first time I have ridden it since the expansion.

GENESIS

I am sure he will file an update. What appears to be a very promising speaker was taken out by a misbehavingpreamp

It's little brother has everything except adequate vreetical dispersion
That is a problem that could be solved by lowering you seat or placing it on stands. At around $8k it is bargain to be sure.
It s big brother is a taller version That Gary says deals with all those problems for around$5k more.

It was great to see you Greg. It's a pity that you missed hearing the bigger Foxtrot. The Minuet certainly does everything I want when seated in a couch. Neither are "What's Best" kind of speakers, but many people "got it".

I set out to design a family-friendly series of loudspeakers with a huge spot, and capable of playing all genre of music that anyone in the family would throw at them. Also, making it so that it won't require an arc welder to drive. A lot of my development was done using a 35W, $1500 integrated amplifier. These guys even gave it "Best in Show" - https://hifichicken.com/news-capital-audiofest-2023-the-best-of-the-show

The whole series is designed to be environment-friendly and sustainable. My speakers are already typically used for many, many years. The G7-series are made of bamboo ply, using water-based glues and finishes. No volatile organic compounds, so nothing to off-gas into your nursery room. And they are made in the USA, so minimal transportation in oil-chugging trucks, airplanes and freighters.

Reactions: treitz3

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Always a pleasure Gary. Maybe I could have heard the big speakers if I could have made it Friday morning as I had planned. A personal problem got in the way.
Thanks for the coffee that was in fact best in show. I had a real cup and drank it without cream.
I was posed to give the smaller speaker best bargain speaker in show, but it was edged out by the aforementioned Rethm. Certainly it was best $8k and under. It has a wide sound stage,great dynamics and excellent timbre..
I just love the sound and looks of the Wand tonearm. The money you save on the speaker/amp combo could make ir affordable.it definitely deserves a listen by those looking for a taste of the Genesis sound at a reasonable price.
Feel free to elaborate on the amplification. I don't think I am familiar with it.
See you next year.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
It's definitely no shame to be edged out by Jacob George's Maarga. He's a musician and an artist. I've liked his speakers since his original prototypes.

The electronics I was using was the Heed Thesis line - Gamma stereo power amp ($3,500) and Lambda line stage ($3,300) with add-on Pi power supply ($2,200). The phonostage was the VPI Avenger Phono.

Reactions: Gregadd

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would say my Martin Logan CLS had limited vertical dispersion. That was not a problem.

The bigger speaker circa $13k might also compete for best bargain.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I finally ran into Ron on Sunday. I as glad he was covering the show for WBF. That takes some of the pressure off me. His videos are very well done. I especially enjoy his interviews with designer/manufacturers
If there was some kind of award category he would be nominated.
Thanks Ron for coming all the way across the country at your expense. I hope the weather was not to much of a shock.
It was great to see you again, Greg!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It appears The Hilton has chosen?j to continue it's shameful policy of charging a premium for wi fi. If this is true I plan to start a campaign against this..
I requested a cut from Tidal and they were unable to oblige
Correct me if I am wrong.
I was surprised by two things.
How good the Westley Electric 300 b can be when properly implemented.
Active speakers can be excellent. I don't know they are more prevalent.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gary I just saw the series go from 8 to 20,000 dollars. That suggests another model or options on the above line..

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
So I walked into this rroomwith a monstrous white box on the floor. Truly if big is good bigger must be better.
It ws The Emm labs stereo amplifier. It mist be stereo because noone would fit two in thier room.
Sonically it was neutral and was a good match for the Joseph Audio speakers

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have one regret, The WADAX was there and i missed it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Thanks to Genesis for their nice grocery bags. Ok I took more than one, but that was on Suday after registration was complete. You never know of there is an audiophile at the grocery store.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
For those who are willing to think outside the box. pun intended. you can have world class sound at a reasonable price. I might add all the work is done for you.
Shout out to the creator of this video. He has an ear for sound and eye for value.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing