Gregadd does rmaf2010

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Having to board an airplane notwithstanding I had a blast at this years RMAF 2010.

Most important. Discussion posts are nice, But it's all about the ears.

I think with all the new formats and devices digital has taken a temporary step backwards!

Vinyl is walk in the room better than digital.

We need a major emphasis on improvement of recorded music

There is a significant amount of excellent reasonably priced equipment for the entry level buyer. A complete full range EMOTIVA system could be had for around $6k. The problem is it does not come from the traditional audio heavyweights9some of it does). You are going to have to look hard and take some chances.

Overall the supply side of high end audio looks good.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Any stand outs, Greg, given the limitations of show listening conditions?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am also interested to learn if the average age of atiendes is getting lower...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Any stand outs, Greg, given the limitations of show listening conditions?

On Sunday I stumbled back into a room that was virtually empty.
TAD Speakers (Pioneer)
Technical Brain Electronics
Silent Source Cables
Walker Proscenium Black Diamond II Turntable w/Air Tight Cartridge
DJ-Loyd Walker himself

You can believe the hype. Spooky realism with the right source material.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Greg, how are we to believe that you actually were there if you don't post pictures??

Thanks for the opportunity to name drop.
For verification ask:
Harry Pearson
Roy Gregory
Arnie Nudell
Roger Sanders
Lloyd Walker
Rich Teer
Bruce Brown
Alon Wolf

And Jonathan Valin who is quite knows a lot about audio and is a nice guy.

I have severely limited my picture taking. It makes me feel like a geek. Besides Albert and MITT(Martin Logan Club) do such a great job.

I will upload what pictures I have.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Not as famous as Greg's name-drop list, but I'll verify that he visited my rooom.

Gary I reallyy enjoyed meeting you. I enjoyed the Genesis speakers in the PS Audio room.

MiTT

Jun 28, 2010
Thornton, Colorado
Thanks for the opportunity to name drop.
For verification ask:
Harry Pearson
Roy Gregory
Arnie Nudell
Roger Sanders
Lloyd Walker
Rich Teer
Bruce Brown
Alon Wolf

And Jonathan Valin who is quite knows a lot about audio and is a nice guy.

I have severely limited my picture taking. It makes me feel like a geek. Besides Albert and MITT(Martin Logan Club) do such a great job.

I will upload what pictures I have.

Thanks for the nice words about my coverage of the show over on the Martin Logan forum Greg. As I find time I'll post at least some of it over here too.

Sorry I didn't get an opportunity to meet you myself. I had breakfast with Rich Teer on Sunday and he told me that he'd spent a fair amount of time with you the day before. Glad you enjoyed the show.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Greg, I hope you realize my tongue was firmly in cheek.

I hope you know mine was too. We are weird guys. With all the pictures of beautiful women and this amazing planet we live on, we still want to look at audio equipment.:)

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Greg, i could not agree with you more about the quality of recordings. we speak about the most important component/room adjustment all the time on these forums. I have certain sources that can make the least expensive system look great. it frustrates me beyond end to know that my music could sound better if the source were better and that isn't an issue i can fix (particularly in the rock era). glad you enjoyed....

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Greg, i could not agree with you more about the quality of recordings. we speak about the most important component/room adjustment all the time on these forums. I have certain sources that can make the least expensive system look great. it frustrates me beyond end to know that my music could sound better if the source were better and that isn't an issue i can fix (particularly in the rock era). glad you enjoyed....

Yes it is..... you just need to find the better source.

As an example, one of my favourite rock anthems of all time is Smoke on the Water. The best live performance was from Live in Japan, but the best sounding is on the collectors edition purple vinyl pressing of Mark II Purple Singles. None of the re-issues even come close.

I demo'ed this album in the Burmester room to a standing ovation.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Yes it is..... you just need to find the better source.

As an example, one of my favourite rock anthems of all time is Smoke on the Water. The best live performance was from Live in Japan, but the best sounding is on the collectors edition purple vinyl pressing of Mark II Purple Singles. None of the re-issues even come close.

I demo'ed this album in the Burmester room to a standing ovation.

Gary I just missed the Deep Purple extravaganza in the Burmester room. For my ears Burmester did a beautiful job with classical music.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Brian I talked with Alon in the Magico room. Sound was night and day to what I heard at Overture. I was teasing him and he seems to have a great sense of humor and is unaffected by all the high end nonsense. I told him about you and he wondered aloud about the problems you might have with customer support now that Andy is out of business. How's that for a manufacturer?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary I just missed the Deep Purple extravaganza in the Burmester room. For my ears Burmester did a beautiful job with classical music.

Haha! We had people packing the hallway trying to get in the room. Yes, Burmester did a beautiful job with classical music - and a spectacular job with vinyl.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Best notables at the show.

Best sound, cost no object, I heard. Loyd Walker with the Walker turntable/Air Tight Cart, /Technical Brain monoblocks and TAD Speakers by Pioneer.

My favorite- Evolution Acoustics/Playback Designs/ Dartzeel. I went to this room all three days just to listen.

Best Budget for around $6k a complete system with sub and 4kw of ss power and full range speaker. EMOTIVA

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
TAD Speakers Technical Brain Amps

Attachments

• technical_brain..jpg
    technical_brain..jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 85

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing