GREGADD CAPITOL AUDIOFEST 2022

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The Arion pictured above is a line source using 12 amt drivers and a box woofer.it comes with a pair for around $64k. You can stack the woofers to a line source for around 9k per 0air.
I like this speaker because of its low distortion. It is the closest thing I have heard to the ml statement e2.
They claim 107db efficiency should make it very amplifier friendly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
BEST SOUND IN SHOW Genesis 20221111_140050.jpg

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
GTT Room
Clearly I initially I thought the music was too loud. A rooky mistake for a show veterans..
View attachment 100266 Method to their madness.
Mini monitors are very seductive with obvious faults. They frequently have little bass and limited dynamics. TOR at $10.5k and fr 32-40k is an exception. Proof evident that you need a big box for big sound or deep bass.
MOLA MOLA TAMBAQUI

I have been longing to heare this. Is it the best? The jury is still out. Horizon owners should be nervous. I need to hear it floating in the rarified air in which the Horizon exists. There its' faults and attributes would be apparent. My advice. Get yours now.
I cannot tell when you are joking or being serious.

Good or bad?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I cannot tell when you are joking or being serious.

Good or bad?
Both joking and serious.
If it were not so loud I would not know the big sound it can get from such a small package. The sound was great.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

20221111_135038.jpg the previously beautiful red paint is now augmented by a sparkle. Von schwiekert/vac 55 ultra I think?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
how about we call them gold flecks?;)
it is not to worry. they come in many beautiful finishes.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Stax 9000 headamp 20221111_145920.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
actually that headamp is an SRM-T8000.

headphones might be Stax SR-X9000.

it can get confusing.

thanks for the posts and pcis.
As usual you are correct. I meant to say Headamp for SR-X900. The SR-X9000 is on my head at the time that picture was taken. The Blue Hawaii is better. Cost $12k for the pair. I assumed you guys know what the headphones look like.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

The NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 employs technology recently developed for the Grand Reference VII Gold and Concert Grand Reference Gold 3. A major breakthrough in new crossovers has led to a stunning upgrade in performance.

These include the development of 220mm magnesium cone bass drivers driven by massive Alnico ring magnets for lowest distortion and improved clarity over the whole range. These two bass drivers incorporate gold-plated solid copper phase plugs -- the soft 24K gold plating damps the copper plug to eliminate any vestige of coloration from these drivers. These bass drivers are now twin ported to the rear in separate chambers, to provide deeper, smoother bass with improved dynamics. A 25% increase in lower chamber volume from 40L to 50 L results in an even more "open" bass reproduction. System sensitivity is now increased to 91 dB at 8 ohms.

Four new midrange drivers have been developed. These incorporate massive Alnico ring magnets with greater force and provide "lifelike attack" and improved transient response. These drivers now incorporate the gold-plated phase plugs as used in the bass drivers.

The proprietary true ribbon tweeters extend response to 100 kHz. The extended bandwidth provides an increased sense of "reality" from recordings.

The Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 is a mirror-imaged, open baffle dipole design that provides lifelike image size. Coloration throughout the 400 Hz to 3500 Hz midrange is eliminated due to the open baffle dipole design for the 4 midranges.

The three 3½-way, hand-wired Unison crossovers employ the latest exotic passive components. For maximum quality, no PC boards are used in the crossovers.

The loudspeaker includes a twin ball-bearing isolation base with premium spikes that eliminate coloration from floor-borne vibrations.

Specifications
Frequency Range: 20 Hz to 100 kHz
Dimensions: 67 inches H x 12 inches W x 16 inches D (overall with bases)
Weight: 200 lb. net per side
Sensitivity: 91 dB @ 8 ohms
Finish: True Piano Black Gloss or True Piano Santos Rosewood. Other finishes and colors available. Bases finished in True Piano Black Gloss.
Specifications subject to change without notice.

I hope that is the right model. I was not in the talking mood.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
As usual you are correct. I meant to say Headamp for SR-X900. The SR-X9000 is on my head at the time that picture was taken. The Blue Hawaii is better. Cost $12k for the pair. I assumed you guys know what the headphones look like.
i owned the Blue Hawaii back in 2011 for a short time with Stax SR-900's. great amp. then last year had the newer SR-900S's with the MSB Select Electrostatic amp. that combo was even better yet. but way more dollar$$$ too.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Man I love this speaker Gary, you really found a great solution to get it all in one speaker, awesome!

Thanks! It is basically all of Arnie Nudell's innovations embodied in one speaker. A fitting Tribute to Arnie, I thought.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing