Greetings From Chicagoland

tmallin

WBF Technical Expert
May 19, 2010
Chicagoland
I graduated high school in 1970, so I grew up in the heyday of AR--Acoustic Research--speakers. I vividly remember my older brother taking me at age 12 to the AR demonstration room http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...omponents/ar_high_fidelity_components_16.html in Manhattan's Grand Central Station where visitors could hear the same material played first through the AR-4x, then the AR-2ax, AR-5, and finally the top-of-the-line AR-3a speakers. I could fully appreciate the gains in clarity and extension of each costlier model even then. Oh, how I yearned to own those magnificent AR 3a's! In my very early teens, even though I'd saved my allowance and other earnings and thought I could afford an AR-3a, AR Amp, AR XA turntable, and Shure V15II system, my parents thought otherwise. Thus, my first component system, purchased at age 14, was comprised of an AR XA turntable, Shure M91E cartridge, AR-4x speakers, and a Dynaco SCA-35 integrated tube amp. Not bad for my age, even so.

My much older brother bought a system comprised of AR-5 speakers, AR Receiver, and the Empire 598 turntable and Empire cartridge. I loved the sound of that system. It totally put mine in the shade.

Like many of you, I suppose, I've struggled in more recent years to recapture the reality of the memory of those earlier systems. Most recently this has actually led me into vintage audio and rediscovering some of the actual products which got me started in this hobby.

If, besides posting here, you sign up for REG's (Robert E. Greene of TAS) audio forum over on Yahoo, you can see various pictures and measurements of my speakers and systems in my photo album there. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/ for the home page of that forum and, if you sign up, you can see my photos at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/photos/album/404627898/pic/list

Tom

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I graduated high school in 1970, so I grew up in the heyday of AR--Acoustic Research--speakers. I vividly remember my older brother taking me at age 12 to the AR demonstration room http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...omponents/ar_high_fidelity_components_16.html in Manhattan's Grand Central Station where visitors could hear the same material played first through the AR-4x, then the AR-2ax, AR-5, and finally the top-of-the-line AR-3a speakers. I could fully appreciate the gains in clarity and extension of each costlier model even then. Oh, how I yearned to own those magnificent AR 3a's! In my very early teens, even though I'd saved my allowance and other earnings and thought I could afford an AR-3a, AR Amp, AR XA turntable, and Shure V15II system, my parents thought otherwise. Thus, my first component system, purchased at age 14, was comprised of an AR XA turntable, Shure M91E cartridge, AR-4x speakers, and a Dynaco SCA-35 integrated tube amp. Not bad for my age, even so.

My much older brother bought a system comprised of AR-5 speakers, AR Receiver, and the Empire 598 turntable and Empire cartridge. I loved the sound of that system. It totally put mine in the shade.

Like many of you, I suppose, I've struggled in more recent years to recapture the reality of the memory of those earlier systems. Most recently this has actually led me into vintage audio and rediscovering some of the actual products which got me started in this hobby.

If, besides posting here, you sign up for REG's (Robert E. Greene of TAS) audio forum over on Yahoo, you can see various pictures and measurements of my speakers and systems in my photo album there. See: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/ for the home page of that forum and, if you sign up, you can see my photos at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/regsaudioforum/photos/album/404627898/pic/list

Tom

Tom

I can't tell you how thrilled I am that you accepted my invitation to join.

I do hope you will take me upon my offer that I extended to you earlier this morning as all of us are looking forward to learning from you.

Tom Please check your PM

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi Tom! Welcome. I was feeling old recently but now you make me feel even older because I remember all of this gear (well remembering is still a good sign!). Kinda like the other day when I was exciting having just gotten Pink Floyd tickets and all the kids at the gym were looking at me like I was from outer space :(

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Welcome Tom

Tom,
I'm so pleased you accepted Steve's invitation to contribute to this forum. I've long admired your prolific contributions in REG's forum and have always felt that you have a voice that deserves a wider audience. Your writing is superb and always contains reasoned insights from which I have learned a great deal. I look forward to reading even more!
Marty

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My warm welcome also. Hope we can create a great home for you here so that none of us have to suffer dealing with Yahoo Group's terrible user interface :D.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing