Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is the one from Richard Franiec I use on my S95

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
This is the one from Richard Franiec I use on my S95
I considered that one but the FlipBac was a no-brainer at $10 and I cannot imagine the Franiec being more effective. The little rib on the S100 is a step in the right direction but seems less useful than these add-ons.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I have a pistol grip for my S95. I worry when it sticks out of my pocket that some law enforcement dude is going to shoot me.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Why the Canon over something else like Panasonic for example?

I have a pistol grip for my S95. I worry when it sticks out of my pocket that some law enforcement dude is going to shoot me.

Exactly. The Canon was chosen because it fit neatly in my pocket without suggestive protrusions. The FlipBac and Franiec grips allow it to retain that advantage over the Panasonic and others.

Steve Williams

IMO the S95 that I own (and having seen the S100) are terrific cameras for the money and fit so easily in your pocket

I took mine to the Middle East for 2 weeks in November and took almost 1100 pictures with ease while others on our trip were shlepping their huge Canon 5D Mk ll's etc with bag and lenses and had a difficult time of it

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Alright, that Canon model is easier to 'grip', and also takes some nice shots, in addition to be extremely compact, versatile, flexible, and 'tres tres' portable in anywhere on you without attracting attention. I'll buy that easily.

But compared to a Panasonic model (for example) of the same caliber and price range,
is it as much fully loaded with useful features, 10x optical zoom (or more), and similar, or lesser, or better overall picture quality?
You know, the video resolutions as well, and all that stuff that you transfer to your high def display to view at the end in the comfort of your own home, and to share from your PC with your friends from all over ...

...The overall picture you know, and not only the easy carrying accessibility, or easy dissimulation (concealment).
Because the Panasonic ones are also easily portable from any pockets on you.
And you can apply your own 'grip' to them too, and any place you wish to (special grip stickers available from photo shops, or ...).

Steve Williams

Alright, that Canon model is easier to 'grip', and also takes some nice shots, in addition to be extremely compact, versatile, flexible, and 'tres tres' portable in anywhere on you without attracting attention. I'll buy that easily.

But compared to a Panasonic model (for example) of the same caliber and price range,
is it as much fully loaded with useful features, 10x optical zoom (or more), and similar, or lesser, or better overall picture quality?
You know, the video resolutions as well, and all that stuff that you transfer to your high def display to view at the end in the comfort of your own home, and to share from your PC with your friends from all over ...

...The overall picture you know, and not only the easy carrying accessibility, or easy dissimulation (concealment).
And you can apply your own 'grip' to them too, and any place you wish to (special grip stickers available from photo shops, or ...).

I've compared the Canon S100 vs Panasonic Lumix DMC LX-5. Very similar features but the Canon is so amazing that it does so much and is so small.

We live in a free society Bob. I picked the Canon and I have no heartburn that you want the Panasonic because I know that you'll be very pleased.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I like that Steve; "We live in a free society". :b

* I will check that Canon camera, read pro reviews, and compared it to other cameras in that same price range, like the Panasonic ones for example. And I might even check the Nikon and Olympus ones as well.
Fuji? Why not, some of them use quality lenses and sensors.

Steve Williams

I like that Steve; "We live in a free society". :b

* I will check that Canon camera, read pro reviews, and compared it to other cameras in that same price range, like the Panasonic ones for example. And I might even check the Nikon and Olympus ones as well.
Fuji? Why not, some of them use quality lenses and sensors.

Bob

www.dpreview.com is a great source for all reviews

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Agreed. BTW, I tried out the S100 today and found its vestigial grip totally inadequate.

Not my pockets. I actually tried several, including the Panasonic, because my needs were specific. I have other cameras for other tasks.

Steve Williams

Agreed. BTW, I tried out the S100 today and found its vestigial grip totally inadequate.

Kal, the only one here who has the S100 is Bob Lerner in your neck of the woods. He had an S90 with the Franiec grip. He also commented about the disparity of the grip on the S100

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
In which area do you live Peter?

I live outside Philadelphia, PA. The home of the cheese steak, Broad Street Bullies and Phillies!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing