Great article on "Analogue Warmth"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I know it is not "your solution" in general terms. I am calling it "your solution" here because it is synonymous with you on this forum and you shill it on virtually every thread.

The reason I'm telling everyone about it is because it will enable better digital sound, for much cheaper than any other solution. Works real slick as well. Best GUI ever made to run it. We have people continuously bashing digital, yet refuse to do what it takes to get better digital sound.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I'm just selling the OS and software to run the streamer for $75

You are just another shill...

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I'm just selling the OS and software to run the streamer for $75

You are just another shill...

If the $75 is out of your price range, you can always configure the Linux yourself. I've made that clear on my streamer page. Half of that $75 goes to the software developer so don't think this is a ploy to sucker people out of money.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Read the statements in bold, then tell me your not trying to make it look cumbersome and difficult:

"The reason that hqplayer has not caught on fully is that the standard interface is horrendous and the cpu power required to run dsd conversion causes issues. Finally integrating Roon has just happened so that might catch on when it has settled in somewhat. I have an A10 quad processor laptop with 16GB RAM and it can't manage dsd upsampling without stuttering (even double). The NAA route is yet another complexity to the system. In essence you have Roon > hqplayer > NAA > DAC. Many people won't want that complexity and instead want to use jriver with a decent interface straight off their laptop or buy an Auralic or Surender."

You are trying to make a $1500 investment that takes 10 minutes to setup seem like it's so difficult that it's not worth trying.

All the issues you mention, are non issues if you buy the items I recommended which come to a total of under $1500.

Before I answer this - ask yourself why would I *want* to make it look any particular way. You see it this way because you shill it.

Now:

> hqplayer does have a rubbish interface - that is why you don't use it. Fact.

> many, many people on so many forums have written extensively on their issues getting smooth operation with hqplayer using their existing PC/Mac when dsd upsampling. Fact.

> adding an NAA is another step in the chain. Fact.

> Many people do not want the complexity of Roon > hqplayer > NAA > DAC - this is why Aurender exists.

Now please - stop all this nonsense.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Before I answer this - ask yourself why would I *want* to make it look any particular way. You see it this way because you shill it.

Now:

> hqplayer does have a rubbish interface - that is why you don't use it. Fact.

> many, many people on so many forums have written extensively on their issues getting smooth operation with hqplayer using their existing PC/Mac when dsd upsampling. Fact.

> adding an NAA is another step in the chain. Fact.

> Many people do not want the complexity of Roon > hqplayer > NAA > DAC - this is why Aurender exists.

Now please - stop all this nonsense.

Again with the Roon GUI, the HQplayer GUI is a non issue. These guys are having issues, because they are using the wrong hardware and setting it up wrong. The NAA is no different than using a streamer like a Aurender or Auralic Aries. It's extremely easy to setup, and allows you to put the server in another room if you want.

Again it's not complex. You are once again making it sound complex, when it's no harder than setting up an Aurender.

So stop all of the misleading bs.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Excuse my ignorance, what is an NAA? I mean, what does the abbreviation stand for?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Everything is quiet so it seems like we won the argument!!!

Thanks for playing guys. Digital Rullzzz...
yes tell them what they won Bob.You gave up analogue for a lifetime with digital

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Excuse my ignorance, what is an NAA?

It stands for network audio adapter. It's a system that Jussi from HQplayer developed to stream audio up to native DSD 1024 from a server doing all of the heavy computing, to a small low powered streamer computer that connects to the DAC. There's several advantages to this system.

1: it bypasses all of the Core audio on OSX or Windows audio systems for a more direct audio path
2: it isolates the big noisy servers doing all of the heavy lifting from the DAC
3: it buffers the audio into the RAM on the streamer, and sends it direct from ram to the USB
4: you can use a super light weight command line Linux OS that's 100% dedicated for audio use for better sound
5: you can use fibre optics to isolate any noise transferred from the server
6: it allows you to locate the server in another room, or even re-purpose an office computer to run the system. You just need to run the fibre optic cable to the listening room and plug it into the streamer. The whole system can be controlled via the Roon iPad app. You can even have unlimited zones using the 1 server as the brains for the whole house.

It's a really slick system. And I know of no other way to get better sound from a USB DAC. This is what Madfloyd just setup. He says it's the best sound he's had from his digital yet, and he doesn't even have the LPS to power the streamer yet. That's going to take things to another level altogether.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Again with the Roon GUI, the HQplayer GUI is a non issue. These guys are having issues, because they are using the wrong hardware and setting it up wrong. The NAA is no different than using a streamer like a Aurender or Auralic Aries. It's extremely easy to setup, and allows you to put the server in another room if you want.

Again it's not complex. You are once again making it sound complex, when it's no harder than setting up an Aurender.

So stop all of the misleading bs.

You ought to be banned from this forum to be honest. You are rude and a shill and you should not be allowed to address people like this.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It stands for network audio adapter. It's a system that Jussi from HQplayer developed to stream audio up to native DSD 1024 from a server doing all of the heavy computing, to a small low powered streamer computer that connects to the DAC. There's several advantages to this system.

1: it bypasses all of the Core audio on OSX or Windows audio systems for a more direct audio path
2: it isolates the big noisy servers doing all of the heavy lifting from the DAC
3: it buffers the audio into the RAM on the streamer, and sends it direct from ram to the USB
4: you can use a super light weight command line Linux OS that's 100% dedicated for audio use for better sound
5: you can use fibre optics to isolate any noise transferred from the server
6: it allows you to locate the server in another room, or even re-purpose an office computer to run the system. You just need to run the fibre optic cable to the listening room and plug it into the streamer. The whole system can be controlled via the Roon iPad app. You can even have unlimited zones using the 1 server as the brains for the whole house.

It's a really slick system. And I know of no other way to get better sound from a USB DAC. This is what Madfloyd just setup. He says it's the best sound he's had from his digital yet, and he doesn't even have the LPS to power the streamer yet. That's going to take things to another level altogether.

Thanks! I'll hear it next time I'm at Madfloyd's place.

His assessment seems promising:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-for-under-250&p=365569&viewfull=1#post365569

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You ought to be banned from this forum to be honest. You are rude and a shill and you should not be allowed to address people like this.

You are the one spreading all the BS. I'm just trying to help people get better sound. All of your posts are on record. I'm not sure who's eyes your trying to pull to wool over.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Nah, chill out.

I don't particularly like Blizzard's tone either. I also find embarrassingly pathetic his totally absurd comparisons with and his facile dismissal of SOTA DAC configurations that he has not heard (duh), and with SOTA analog that he has not heard (duh).

Yet he seems to have contributed useful things that lead to, for example, Madfloyd making a statement like the one that I just linked to. Also, Andrew on the NADAC thread has positive things to say.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Nah, chill out.

I don't particularly like Blizzard's tone either. I also find embarrassingly pathetic his totally absurd comparisons with and his facile dismissal of SOTA DAC configurations that he has not heard (duh), and with SOTA analog that he has not heard (duh).

Yet he seems to have contributed useful things that lead to, for example, Madfloyd making a statement like the one that I just linked to. Also, Andrew on the NADAC thread has positive things to say.

Your not going to get better vinyl than the master tape the vinyl was made from. Industry analog tape veterans are claiming that a $4000 DAC (Merging HAPI) and $11500 DAC (Merging NADAC) are capable of playing back DSD 256 copies of master tapes indistinguishable from the master. So I'm sorry but if vinyl is doing something better than that, it's not coming from anything that was on the master tape the copy was made from. I think this is common sense. And if the vinyl is digitally sourced, it's definitely not better than the digital source.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Your not going to get better vinyl than the master tape the vinyl was made from. Industry analog tape veterans are claiming that a $4000 DAC (Merging HAPI) and $11500 DAC (Merging NADAC) are capable of playing back DSD 256 copies of master tapes indistinguishable from the master.

I don't care what industry veterans claim. Is their playback chain as good and transparent as Madfloyd's totally spectacular system for example? Possibly, but I doubt it.

You simply haven't heard enough yourself to make all the exaggerated claims you make, and as a substitute relying on other people's ears is, well, pathetic.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
And another comment that should now get your ban for certain.

What was the first comment you said to me tonight? Telling me I'm inventing rubbish. You sure are 1 sided when it comes to the personal comments. You have been doing it since the beginning of this thread, and then crying if I clairify things in a direct way.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I don't care what industry veterans claim. Is their playback chain as good and transparent as Madfloyd's system for example? Possibly, but I doubt it.

I don't think you can get better than the R2R machine itself. Yeah this looks like a pretty crappy system for the testing. I bet those accuton mids and Raal ribbon tweeters in those Evolution acoustics are really clouding up the resolution from the R2R

image.jpg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing