Grado Aeon 3 - SUT or not?

Tbzc

Feb 4, 2011
I would add Grado Aeon 3 cartridge to my set up but I am not sure whether it would work.

My analog system consists of Techdas AF 2 with Thales Statement and Scroeder CB 1 12”. My preamp is Ayon Spheris (which is used as MM phono pre only) and have two step ups at the moment, Nat and old WE (both 1:20).

Since I do not have active phone pre and use only external SUTs, I am not sure if Grado Aeon would work with my current phono pre. Therefore I would appreciate you thought on following questions:

• in your experience what is optimal phono pre for Grado Aeon cart with recommended loading 10k-47k, output voltage of 1mv and internal resistance of 74ohm?
  • would it be a good match for SUT?
  • If so, what SUT ratio would you recommend?

Thank you your thoughts and help.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
according to specs you’ve written it’s a medium output MC with a relatively high impedance. I wouldn’t recommend using it with a SUT. it’s rather like a MM cartridge than MC in terms of loading which requires 47kohm as indicated by the manufacturer IMHO.

Reactions: Tbzc

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Is similar to my Goldfinger statement,50 ohm and 0.9 mv
With SUT doenst work and at 47K is too open.
I founded perfect match at 400/500 ohm

Reactions: Tbzc

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I haven’t try it myself but I believe Goldfinger statement would work very well with a SUT. it’s 50ohms impedance and 0.6mV output will match up well with 40ohms tap on a SUT. For example KSL SFz. in that case cartridge will see 470ohms loading and that should be fine. IME it requires a week of use for re-burn in of a tap on a multi tap SUT.

Unlike Goldfinger, Aeon 3 requires a higher loading which makes it hard to be used with a SUT. IMHO it should be tried out to be sure cause internal DC impedance is not the only factor determines loading. Suspension stiffness also plays a major role.

Last edited:
Reactions: No Regrets and Tbzc

dave slagle

Apr 9, 2020
myemia.com
For a SUT to work with that cartridge two things would need to be considered.

First assuming a 47k? input impedance to the phono, in order to adhere to the 10k? maximum load a 1:2 ratio would be the highest ratio you could use. Since the recommended load is typically a very soft number I would think a 1:4 would be a good starting point to try. This would bring you close to a typical 5mV MM input and a ~3k? load which isn't too far beyond the manufacturers recommendation. Nothing says the 47K? resistor could not be increased to say 250k? and a 1:5 used to net 5mV and a 10k? load.

The other question that needs to be addressed is the internal inductance of the Grado cart. This may be substantially higher than the typical MC cart and can come into play when matching to a SUT.

What is clear is that given the 1mV output of the cartridge, the higher ratios typically used for SUT's and the lower impedance of most MC carts will have you looking for an atypical design. A 1:20 will almost certainly overload the input of a phono stage at high frequencies and the ~75? cartridge impedance is higher than what most SUT's will support for acceptable low end performance. The 1mV is also unique in that it falls between the "typical MM and MC carts" and puts you in no mans land for both MM and MC inputs. 1mV into a 40dB phono stage will result in low overall gain and often lead to noise in tubed based phono stages. That same 1mV into a 60dB MC stage runs the risk of dynamic overload of the high frequency content of music.

dave

Reactions: No Regrets

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
Is similar to my Goldfinger statement,50 ohm and 0.9 mv
With SUT doenst work and at 47K is too open.
I founded perfect match at 400/500 ohm
Hello,

I have a vintage Hirata Tango SUT that has two inputs. One being a 1:6.66 turns ratio that when used into a standard 47k Ohm input impedance should result in your cartridge seeing about 1059 Ohms and give you an additional gain of roughly 16.47 dB. The second input has a 1:10.8 turns ratio that when used into a standard 47k Ohm input impedance should result in your cartridge seeing about 403 Ohms and give you an additional gain of roughly 20.67dB.

This Tango SUT is impressive. Very wideband, especially in the bass and into 47K there is no ringing! Gorgeous rich sound and dynamic... worth trying to find. I found mine in Japan.

I have found the 1:6.66 ratio to work really well with my Benz Ruby Zebrawood ZH, which has an output of .7mV at 3.54cm/sec and has an internal impedance of 38 Ohms, into moving magnet phono's that have a gain of 40-42db. It might work well with the Gold Finger Statement and maybe even the Grado Aeon. This Hirata Tango SUT might be an option to consider :)

Best wishes to all, for a safe and wonderfully happy New Year.
Don

Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing