Goldmund Apologue installation just completed on Long Island, NY

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
The footprint of the Apologue and Epilogue are roughly about the same, the Apologue is a few inches wider and deeper, about the same height.

On the Epilogue each of the woofers that you see turned in have duplicate woofers facing outwards inside the cabinet via an isobarik design. The Apologue does not use this design.

The Apologue are $540K/pair and anyone that buys them always feel that they are VERY cost competitive to other systems that they might be considering. Like Lloyd said once you add up $200Kish speakers, and top flight electronics (amps, pre, dacs) and cables, actually the Apologue ends up being less expensive. Not to say anything about the eliminating the electronics/cable clutter in the room. To a lot of people they prefer a clean set up with just the speakers. Not for everyone of course but the owners love the simplicity of the system.

With the Apologue you have separate DACs and amplifiers for each driver in the system. The amps are a few inches from the driver with direct connections. The DACS are hard connected to the amplifier boards. There are over 30 DSP's per side on each Apologue that handle all of the Xover work along with time, phase and amplitude correction of the distortions that are present in the incoming audio signal.

The exact same set up regarding electronics, dsp's etc is present in the entire line of 10 Goldmund active speakers. I will put up the Satya system that costs $110K total up against anything/anywhere. I have the

Satyas in my studio and they are a revelation to me.

There's my "Sunday morning commercial":)

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The footprint of the Apologue and Epilogue are roughly about the same, the Apologue is a few inches wider and deeper, about the same height.

On the Epilogue each of the woofers that you see turned in have duplicate woofers facing outwards inside the cabinet via an isobarik design. The Apologue does not use this design.

The Apologue are $540K/pair and anyone that buys them always feel that they are VERY cost competitive to other systems that they might be considering. Like Lloyd said once you add up $200Kish speakers, and top flight electronics (amps, pre, dacs) and cables, actually the Apologue ends up being less expensive. Not to say anything about the eliminating the electronics/cable clutter in the room. To a lot of people they prefer a clean set up with just the speakers. Not for everyone of course but the owners love the simplicity of the system.

With the Apologue you have separate DACs and amplifiers for each driver in the system. The amps are a few inches from the driver with direct connections. The DACS are hard connected to the amplifier boards. There are over 30 DSP's per side on each Apologue that handle all of the Xover work along with time, phase and amplitude correction of the distortions that are present in the incoming audio signal.

The exact same set up regarding electronics, dsp's etc is present in the entire line of 10 Goldmund active speakers. I will put up the Satya system that costs $110K total up against anything/anywhere. I have the

No commercial...just the bald, naked truth.

The Anatta will destroy almost any competing system and the reason is the software that stretches from design to DRC.

To me, the Anatta is the sweetspot of the range, at the ridiculously expensive price of $350K. Proteus/Leonardo is "da bomb".

PS, I still need to hear the Apo Mk2...my next trip to NYC...

Satya here: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/11/12/warsaw-2015-goldmund-hyper-active/

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
No commercial...just the bald, naked truth.

The Anatta will destroy almost any competing system and the reason is the software that stretches from design to DRC.

To me, the Anatta is the sweetspot of the range, at the ridiculously expensive price of $350K. Proteus/Leonardo is "da bomb".

PS, I still need to hear the Apo Mk2...my next trip to NYC...

Satya here: https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2015/11/12/warsaw-2015-goldmund-hyper-active/

Hi Norman, looking forward to your next visit! I used to love the Anatta and still do but I have been overcome by the Satya. I installed a pair in San Fran a few months ago and came back to my place and ordered a pair, I was really taken by them. My Satyas in my room compete with ANYTHING that I've ever heard and they are not crazy expensive when factor in the electronics/cables etc. I like the look of the Satya, reminds me of a 911 turbo:)...beefy and has extension way down with that crystal clear Goldmund bass and transparency, but with warmth and naturalness that has showed up in the latest Goldmund active designs.

I will put the Satyas in a well treated room up against the Apologue or Anatta in just an ok room and probably take the Satyas. The Anatta and Apologue will play louder and have a bit more extension but basically the sound is the same (identical drivers, electronics) and the Satyas go low enough that they don't seem lacking in any area. You get a bit more scale with the bigger systems but I get BIG TIME overall scale of soundstage and presence with the Satyas.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Hang on...so the $600K is the cost for a complete 'turn key' digital system? ie, you buy the Analogue...and you dont need anything else (i am not a TT guy)? Transport included or is that separate but otherwise, everything else is included in this [still big] price?

Also, aside from the big speaker boxes...what other boxes come with the system? how much reduction in 'clutter' actually is there? Most curious.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Norman, looking forward to your next visit! I used to love the Anatta and still do but I have been overcome by the Satya. I installed a pair in San Fran a few months ago and came back to my place and ordered a pair, I was really taken by them. My Satyas in my room compete with ANYTHING that I've ever heard and they are not crazy expensive when factor in the electronics/cables etc. I like the look of the Satya, reminds me of a 911 turbo:)...beefy and has extension way down with that crystal clear Goldmund bass and transparency, but with warmth and naturalness that has showed up in the latest Goldmund active designs.

I will put the Satyas in a well treated room up against the Apologue or Anatta in just an ok room and probably take the Satyas. The Anatta and Apologue will play louder and have a bit more extension but basically the sound is the same (identical drivers, electronics) and the Satyas go low enough that they don't seem lacking in any area. You get a bit more scale with the bigger systems but I get BIG TIME overall scale of soundstage and presence with the Satyas.

Wow, I need to give the Satyas a fairer shake then. Yes, I agree they all have the same sound signature.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hang on...so the $600K is the cost for a complete 'turn key' digital system? ie, you buy the Analogue...and you dont need anything else (i am not a TT guy)? Transport included or is that separate but otherwise, everything else is included in this [still big] price?

You need a source, like a laptop connected to the same wifi network. You get a dongle for that.

All is wifi 24/96 and all that gets churned up into the DRC/DSP. You don't have to sweat the source quality, as the DRC/DSP advantage overwhelms all that.

Please note the Apos are sold out, so its the Anatta and the Satya that you consider now, for $350K and $110K turnkey.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

You buy the Apologue for $540K. If you use CD's, then you need a transport ($10K for a Goldmund transport) and you need a dig preamp, several to choose from from $10K on up.

If you only use a music server like an Aurender you have the Apologue and Ipad the Aurender and NOTHING else. You can run the full Apologue with a usb dongle transmitter that sticks into the usb port of the Aurender. Aurender/Apologue/Ipad......other than included power cords for the Apologue that's it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
You need a source, like a laptop connected to the same wifi network. You get a dongle for that.

All is wifi 24/96 and all that gets churned up into the DRC/DSP. You don't have to sweat the source quality, as the DRC/DSP advantage overwhelms all that.

Please note the Apos are sold out, so its the Anatta and the Satya that you consider now, for $350K and $110K turnkey.

very, very cool. The only potential problem i see is that since all of this is electronics...just one glitch in the system and the whole thing is down until it can be repaired? In a 'regular system', if the amp goes, just get a temp amp from the dealer while he is repairing and good to go again. If the Goldmund is super-reliable, all good...if not, then given the size of the thing...how much can be done 'on site' vs shipping to manufacturer? these are boring practical questions, but just curious as this concept is very intriguing to me.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
very, very cool. The only potential problem i see is that since all of this is electronics...just one glitch in the system and the whole thing is down until it can be repaired? In a 'regular system', if the amp goes, just get a temp amp from the dealer while he is repairing and good to go again. If the Goldmund is super-reliable, all good...if not, then given the size of the thing...how much can be done 'on site' vs shipping to manufacturer? these are boring practical questions, but just curious as this concept is very intriguing to me.

None of the active/wireless models even have fuses. They are very sophisticated electronically. I have about 10 of the new active wireless system installed and I never have any issue. Not to say something could not fail, but the systems are really rock solid. If anything does go wrong it's an on site board replacement. Nothing ever goes back to the factory. If something went wrong it would a few day outage at most.

Let me go a step further, in 14 years I have installed about 50 Goldmund systems. Goldmund's electronics used to be sensitive. I have not once sent a piece back to SW. Other than adjusting a tray on a transport I have never had an issue with one of these systems.

I have personally used different Goldmund systems for 14 years on a daily basis and not once have had a technical glitch.....nothing.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
None of the active/wireless models even have fuses. They are very sophisticated electronically. I have about 10 of the new active wireless system installed and I never have any issue. Not to say something could not fail, but the systems are really rock solid. If anything does go wrong it's an on site board replacement. Nothing ever goes back to the factory. If something went wrong it would a few day outage at most.

Let me go a step further, in 14 years I have installed about 50 Goldmund systems. Goldmund's electronics used to be sensitive. I have not once sent a piece back to SW. Other than adjusting a tray on a transport I have never had an issue with one of these systems.

I have personally used different Goldmund systems for 14 years on a daily basis and not once have had a technical glitch.....nadda.

Great! How many boxes come in addition to the Apologue speakers, or is it ALL contained inside the speakers?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Logos Anatta:

"The Anatta can be used wired by a coaxial link or completely wirelessly. It functions with the Goldmund dongle and a simple computer, a hub like the Mimesis 11, or with a processor/wireless transmitter if multi-channel sources are used. The digital link RCA plug is located right next to the AC connector.
The speaker can be seamlessly integrated into its environment since the power cord, the only really necessary cable, is completely hidden within the frame and connects at the rear bottom part of it. Amplifiers and filters are integrated within the speakers, leaving way to Zen and uncluttered environment."

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Great! How many boxes come in addition to the Apologue speakers, or is it ALL contained inside the speakers?

The full Apologue system is air shipped from SW in 18 wooden crates. It takes one day to completely uncrate and install an Apologue and then a day or two for tuning the system to the room and the client's personal preferences.

Everything is in the speakers. NO EXTRA BOXES other than the frames and the modules and speaker grill covers.

Scroll down on this link about 10 pics/articles and you can see an Apologue being built http://rhapsody.audio/news/

I have to point out one item. When you get up to a Mim15 processor ($25K) then you can use the computer loaded configurator and adjust the hights, mid, bass through a SW configurator. If you only use a Mim11 or say the usb dongle/wireless then using the Goldmund SW configurator is not available.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Logos Anatta:

"The Anatta can be used wired by a coaxial link or completely wirelessly. It functions with the Goldmund dongle and a simple computer, a hub like the Mimesis 11, or with a processor/wireless transmitter if multi-channel sources are used. The digital link RCA plug is located right next to the AC connector.
The speaker can be seamlessly integrated into its environment since the power cord, the only really necessary cable, is completely hidden within the frame and connects at the rear bottom part of it. Amplifiers and filters are integrated within the speakers, leaving way to Zen and uncluttered environment."

This is the exact same for the $7K/pair Nano Metis model up through the 10 models up to the Apologue that all use the exact same technology.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Goldmund is full service. If you buy a $100K car, you get a suitable replacement. If you buy a $600K speaker, you can expect the same or better.

Goldmund is super reliable. Hell, JOB is super reliable and that is waaaay cheaper.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Goldmund is full service. If you buy a $100K car, you get a suitable replacement. If you buy a $600K speaker, you can expect the same or better.

Goldmund is super reliable. Hell, JOB is super reliable and that is waaaay cheaper.

I have one customer who started with Epi 1's, upgraded to Epi1/2 and then the full Epi stack and then finally the Apologues. He started 13 years ago and has not had any of his systems down for anything, not even one day. I can let you talk to him via phone, he is NYC. He will go on for an hour about how he loves his system. He doesn't do forums and runs and owns a large international company.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The full Apologue system is air shipped from SW in 18 wooden crates. It takes one day to completely uncrate and install an Apologue and then a day or two for tuning the system to the room and the client's personal preferences.

Everything is in the speakers. NO EXTRA BOXES other than the frames and the modules and speaker grill covers.

Scroll down on this link about 10 pics/articles and you can see an Apologue being built http://rhapsody.audio/news/

I have to point out one item. When you get up to a Mim15 processor ($25K) then you can use the computer loaded configurator and adjust the hights, mid, bass through a SW configurator. If you only use a Mim11 or say the usb dongle/wireless then using the Goldmund SW configurator is not available.

One more point if I may...it is my understanding that the purchase of any of these active system includes (if the customer wants) and free parametric DRC SW adjustment, i.e., the room dimensions are taken and sent to Goldmund for them to be number crunched by Proteus and sent back as a corrector to the digital hub. I guess that is not available for people using just a laptop? Our buddy John who had the Prologus and a hub, didn't take up this offer, did he?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I have to admit that is insanely cool...we are talking about a full digital self-contained system inside a 6' set of towers, no cables...maybe a transport that is [perhaps] wirelessly linked or at most 1 cable. (again, i am not a TT guy). No racks, equipment boxes, isolation madness. And while it is ''only" $600K...that in TOTALITY is much more comparable to MANY of the systems here than i originally thought (since i wrongfully understood these were ONLY speakers).

And this is the current reference system...there are clearly less expensive full-service/self-contained systems within the world of Goldmund. Where can we hear any of these systems? I am assuming Apologue is not available at all to hear, or is only available in Switzerland.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
One more point if I may...it is my understanding that the purchase of any of these active system includes (if the customer wants) and free parametric DRC SW adjustment, i.e., the room dimensions are taken and sent to Goldmund for them to be number crunched by Proteus and sent back as a corrector to the digital hub. I guess that is not available for people using just a laptop? Our buddy John who had the Prologus and a hub, didn't take up this offer, did he?

Yes, that's where you need at least a Mim15 processor to use the Proteus/Leonardo room correction SW. Actually for 2 channel it's really not necessary, but for multi channel that's where it really is an eye-popper. Don't forget some of the Goldmund theaters have up to 70 or 80 individual drivers and amplifiers/dacs in a system. That is where Leonardo/Proteus are mandatory and is why they were designed.

John did NOT need this for his 2 channel ProLogos set up. John only uses his Aurender streaming wirelessly. He has an Aurender and Ipad and his Prologos and that's it.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Thank you...very interesting.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have one customer who started with Epi 1's, upgraded to Epi1/2 and then the full Epi stack and then finally the Apologues. He started 13 years ago and has not had any of his systems down for anything, not even one day. I can let you talk to him via phone, he is NYC. He will go on for an hour about how he loves his system. He doesn't do forums and runs and owns a large international company.

Thank you. I do tend to speak with people...but not until i am much further down the road having done my own listening...primarily so as not to bother people unless i am serious. AT the moment, i have no intention of changing systems, having assembled something i am enthralled with...but i certainly can see the attraction of one of these super systems now. And i have heard Goldmund amps and was quite impressed..and it was quite an older, lesser model.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing