Golden Gate DAC arrives.

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply and info. Haven't yet had time to pop the hood and snip those resistors yet, but very pleased that I have that option instead of shipping again and risking damage.

Yes, I read up on the specs of the resistor based attenuator built in on my big 7. In fact I believe that one of Lukasz's techs, Taras, actually designed and built the unit. I wish that he had used a autoformer based volume control but I think that it was pretty good for a built in attenuator. On my Big 7 many years ago, Lukasz had initially placed the attenuator before the input to the tubes I think. This resulted in a direct tube output to the RCAs, but also had the side effect of amplifying all the microphonics and noise. After he shifted the attenuator to being between tube output and RCAs, that took care of the noise issues (logical, as the tubes are now working at max S/N ratio). This was all many years back.

Yeang

Yeang

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
I do have an exciting update for you guys!

One of the things that I have been anxiously waiting for is the ability to play native DSD up to 512 with Linux based NAAs, like the microrendu. I know several other Lampi owners who have settled for DoP DSD128 due to this limitation.

Recently I was told that Amanero has at last managed to fix the firmware bugs that prevent this from being a reality. This newest firmware was flashed onto my GG before it left Poland. however, when I received the unit, my microrendu had the old 2.3 SonicOrbiter OS, and did not play well with the new Amanero firmware. I contacted Sonore and had them send me out the 2.5 firmware.

Tonight I loaded up the 2.5 OS and hooked it up to my HQPlayer. Voila! DSD256 and DSD512 native playback via microrendu 2.5. I am overjoyed - finally this capability is online! My HQplayer computer is a little underpowered and unable to upsample to DSD512 without the occasional click, but that's an issue of processing power. Lukasz and Fred my dealer have done it again. DSD512 through the microrendu, on first listen, sounds gorgeous as does DSD256. I generally upsample everything to the highest DSD I can manage... I think a new upsample computer is on the horizon now! Perhaps the new Kaby Lake X processors will do.

Kudos again to Lukasz, Fred and the Lampizator team for getting this up and going!!

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013

One of the things that I have been anxiously waiting for is the ability to play native DSD up to 512 with Linux based NAAs, like the microrendu. I know several other Lampi owners who have settled for DoP DSD128 due to this limitation.

Recently I was told that Amanero has at last managed to fix the firmware bugs that prevent this from being a reality. This newest firmware was flashed onto my GG before it left Poland. however, when I received the unit, my microrendu had the old 2.3 SonicOrbiter OS, and did not play well with the new Amanero firmware. I contacted Sonore and had them send me out the 2.5 firmware.

Tonight I loaded up the 2.5 OS and hooked it up to my HQPlayer. Voila! DSD256 and DSD512 native playback via microrendu 2.5. I am overjoyed - finally this capability is online! My HQplayer computer is a little underpowered and unable to upsample to DSD512 without the occasional click, but that's an issue of processing power. Lukasz and Fred my dealer have done it again. DSD512 through the microrendu, on first listen, sounds gorgeous as does DSD256. I generally upsample everything to the highest DSD I can manage... I think a new upsample computer is on the horizon now! Perhaps the new Kaby Lake X processors will do.

Kudos again to Lukasz, Fred and the Lampizator team for getting this up and going!!

I am glad that it works fine for you.
However, please look at my latest update on this matter here

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

What are the specs on your current HQP computer and how does your new setup sound? I know you had some nice mods done...

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Hi bibo,

Not sure which version it is on. But I can say that it works well in Windows's least up to dsd256. I think I tried DSD512 as well but I took that for granted. This is running native asio no DoP on windows 10 with hqplayer.

Yeang

I am glad that it works fine for you.
However, please look at my latest update on this matter here

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Hi Norm!

Current hqp computer is a i7-4770k not overclocked. I do have a nvidia titan black card but it seems to hurt upsampling instead despite the massive DP FP specs.

Haven't had time to sit and listen critically yet but dsd256/512 does sound amazing at first listen.

Yeang

What are the specs on your current HQP computer and how does your new setup sound? I know you had some nice mods done...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Hi Norm!

Current hqp computer is a i7-4770k not overclocked. I do have a nvidia titan black card but it seems to hurt upsampling instead despite the massive DP FP specs.

Haven't had time to sit and listen critically yet but dsd256/512 does sound amazing at first listen.

Yeang
Thanks

I had an 17 4790K overclocked running JRiver upsample to DSD512 and after 20m the machine reboots. on DSD 256, no problem. Win2012 server audio-optimized.

I take it that Linux now does dsd512 for you from the uRendu and only DSD256 straight from the Win10 machine, with latest FW flash?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Here are some quantitative measurement with an inexpensive DMM which might be useful to those interested in the differences with the 242 tube and 45 mesh. This was primarily done to evaluate the low volume on my new GG.

Measured at RCA Out with rigged RCA cable to digital multimeter in AC voltage mode:

Squeezebox touch:
1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 2.050V

Old Big 7, EML 45 mesh and Jan CD-R recti, TAIV volume fully open, PCM thru toslink:
1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 2.373V
Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 0.918V

Old Big 7, 242 and 5U4G recti, TAIV volume fully open, PCM thru toslink:
1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 8.11V
Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 3.005V

GG, EML 45 mesh and 5U4G recti, R2R PCM thru toslink:
1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 1.144V
Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 0.410V

GG, 242 and 5U4G recti, R2R PCM thru toslink:
1 kHz tone, 0 dBFS = 2.960V
Mahler Solti 8 first mvt = 1.062V

I am uncertain what the accuracy of my inexpensive multimeter is, so the absolute levels may not be accurate at all. But it is useful as a relative measure of differences in output from my old Big 7 and the new GG.

Yeang

Which just goes to show 242 was never a suitable valve for Big 7s, as I always knew. And if you have the output curtailed on your GG to take it, you compromise the output for other valve types. Not so good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Which just goes to show 242 was never a suitable valve for Big 7s, as I always knew. And if you have the output curtailed on your GG to take it, you compromise the output for other valve types. Not so good.

Except the first recommendation came from Lukasz on the Big 7, and then the rest of us heard and loved it. It was never recommended as a valve for GG till Bill and I ordered GGs tuned for it. I know it does not fit your system, but that is coz yof the way it synergises with the pre. If you got a different pre in, things will change

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Except the first recommendation came from Lukasz on the Big 7, and then the rest of us heard and loved it. It was never recommended as a valve for GG till Bill and I ordered GGs tuned for it. I know it does not fit your system, but that is coz yof the way it synergises with the pre. If you got a different pre in, things will change

This game is all about what works for you and your system. Got nothing against 242 lovers just making a point that you have to make room for it should you wish to use it.

I'm not going to optimise my old Big 7 for 242 as I'd much rather keep it as it is with a nicely balanced output for a whole host of options with the pre I have.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France

Interesting results from User211 there. I would ask why the GG has such a low output on the 45s, seems odd. And having more may overload a pre-amplifiers init stages. I can see though having over voltage may be useful using a passive pre-amplifier mind.

The 'target' output on RCA should be 2v I would say. And 4v average as balanced. Output impedance is also a big factor in how the load reacts down stream, as in less is more. So 300 ohms or less is good.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting results from User211 there. I would ask why the GG has such a low output on the 45s, seems odd. And having more may overload a pre-amplifiers init stages. I can see though having over voltage may be useful using a passive pre-amplifier mind.

The 'target' output on RCA should be 2v I would say. And 4v average as balanced. Output impedance is also a big factor in how the load reacts down stream, as in less is more. So 300 ohms or less is good.

The output is flexible and can be set for the valves of your choice.

Fyi, I am exchanging messages with a guy in UK who is having in-house dems in a 10m room with YG Hailey and Vivid G1 and Spirit G1, Vitus, and Berning Quads. Currently preferring the Berning Quads Vivid (more bass for his room size). He has the Lampi with valves not my choice (EML recti and KR 45), and is preferring it to Vivaldi with upsampler and Meridian. Lampi right now is not being upsampled and is all PCM

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This game is all about what works for you and your system. Got nothing against 242 lovers just making a point that you have to make room for it should you wish to use it.

I'm not going to optimise my old Big 7 for 242 as I'd much rather keep it as it is with a nicely balanced output for a whole host of options with the pre I have.

You would change it if you heard what 242 does in a system it works in. Then you would sell your pre and get Lampi with 242 and pre it works with :)

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
You would change it if you heard what 242 does in a system it works in. Then you would sell your pre and get Lampi with 242 and pre it works with :)

bonzo75, you mean go passive or use the pot on the GG? I have found in my Audio Note DAC 5 that I can go passive and avoid the problems often going that route such as impedance miss-match and enough level to drive the power amp to spec. In my case I have short interconnects so avoid the problems that can cause with longer lengths. The line stage in my DAC is effectively an Audio Note M6 anyway, no need in my case to have another stage.

What is the output impedance on the GG?

I haven't heard the GG yet, but I do seem to prefer DACs with a tube line stage, so the dCS and Meridian comparisons you mention are not surprising to me. IMO I prefer at least on item in the chain with tubes, be it a DAC or a Pre-amp. In my journey over the last 20 years that combo seems to work best for me.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo75, you mean go passive or use the pot on the GG? I have found in my Audio Note DAC 5 that I can go passive and avoid the problems often going that route such as impedance miss-match and enough level to drive the power amp to spec. In my case I have short interconnects so avoid the problems that can cause with longer lengths. The line stage in my DAC is effectively an Audio Note M6 anyway, no need in my case to have another stage.

What is the output impedance on the GG?

I haven't heard the GG yet, but I do seem to prefer DACs with a tube line stage, so the dCS and Meridian comparisons you mention are not surprising to me. IMO I prefer at least on item in the chain with tubes, be it a DAC or a Pre-amp. In my journey over the last 20 years that combo seems to work best for me.

I like the MQA from meridian.

This has nothing to do with valve no valve only. There is also no opamp, analog capture, and purity of signal. Stage, holograph , depth, etc is all larger.

The output voltage can be tweaked by Lukasz to suit the gain and impedance of your electronics and your choice of valves.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I like the MQA from meridian.

This has nothing to do with valve no valve only. There is also no opamp, analog capture, and purity of signal. Stage, holograph , depth, etc is all larger.

The output voltage can be tweaked by Lukasz to suit the gain and impedance of your electronics and your choice of valves.

Interesting. What is the output impedance on the GG with volume pot?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
The output is flexible and can be set for the valves of your choice.

Fyi, I am exchanging messages with a guy in UK who is having in-house dems in a 10m room with YG Hailey and Vivid G1 and Spirit G1, Vitus, and Berning Quads. Currently preferring the Berning Quads Vivid (more bass for his room size). He has the Lampi with valves not my choice (EML recti and KR 45), and is preferring it to Vivaldi with upsampler and Meridian. Lampi right now is not being upsampled and is all PCM

Why didn't you stick the KR5u4g anni recti and the KR 242 for a test drive? Or if the 242 don't work, the PX25 or the EML 45 mesh anni globes to show what the GG really is capable of?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why didn't you stick the KR5u4g anni recti and the KR 242 for a test drive? Or if the 242 don't work, the PX25 or the EML 45 mesh anni globes to show what the GG really is capable of?

I haven't been to his place yet

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014

Your talking to a man with an old, dusty, hardwired B7, who thinks the Sylvania VT-52 is the best option he's heard, and who also hasn't heard a reason yet to go GG.

I am a luddite.

More seriously, I have definitely got a much bigger gain from the recent crossover mod than I will ever get from going GG. I'm genuinely surprised by it.

DIY. Way to go. Get that soldering iron out!:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing