Golden Gate DAC arrives.

I got my Golden Gate on Monday, literally 2h before I went on Holiday. I didn't even have the time to unbox the thing.

I will post some images next week, upon my return.

I got my Golden Gate on Monday, literally 2h before I went on Holiday. I didn't even have the time to unbox the thing.

I will post some images next week, upon my return.

Adam

perhaps I missed it but what options on your GG, vis a vis which tubes and volume control, front face plate finish etc etc?

Adam

perhaps I missed it but what options on your GG, vis a vis which tubes and volume control, front face plate finish etc etc?

For tubes whether a B7 or GG, everyone should get the instock one - either 101D or EML 45s, and then depending on budget add 6A3 (cheap), 300B (from 200 - 10000 USD depending on budget), original WE 101Ds, and then some rectifiers (the GG comes comes with EML mesh 5u4g), but again, depending on budget, Sylvania 274b - WE 274b, anything is possible.

The more original Western Electrics the better it will sound, and most of the reviews of the Lampi on this forum right now are based on cheaper Chinese replicas and cheaper tubes

Adam

Mine is DSD only, with black front, Apple remote (uses different volume control board), volume, balanced (4 output tubes). For the time beeing Lukasz gave me PX4 output tubes, as he run out of stock of the 101D replicas. I will choose the final set after I listen to both.

What is PX4? Link and pictures?

I may be wrong on that one. I will be back home on Sunday.

pclab.pl have just posted a Golden Gate review. It is in Polish, so probably of little interest to most of you, but it does contain quite a few interesting images:

http://blog.pclab.pl/violator/LampizatOr.Golden.Gate-recenzja,622

8Q2A0088.jpg

great pictures!

appears to be a very in-depth through review.

thanks. I look forward to the English version at some point.:)

Mike,

I have already gone through the review using the google translator - a risky read, but I got an idea.

But I look forward to reading your opinion about it in an all DartZeel system in a great room!

Mike,

I have already gone through the review using the google translator - a risky read, but I got an idea.

But I look forward to reading your opinion about it in an all DartZeel system in a great room!

i'm just watching for now, with some interest. there are a couple of GG's here in the Northwest I may travel to hear. the question for me is if it is enough better on DSD than the Playback Designs to rationalize a change. the PD is very very good on dsd. the GG does do 4xdsd which is nice but not a real world issue for awhile.

i'm just watching for now, with some interest. there are a couple of GG's here in the Northwest I may travel to hear. the question for me is if it is enough better on DSD than the Playback Designs to rationalize a change. the PD is very very good on dsd. the GG does do 4xdsd which is nice but not a real world issue for awhile.

Mike, I have heard them both…I have a B7 and have heard the first GG and the PBD. The B7 is already better than the PBD in DSD (and I think the GG will distance itself from the B7 with break in, given that it was equal to a seasoned B7 though fresh out the box), in my opinion. Even the basic DSD only Lampi beats the PBD (I used to have the DSD only). "Lampi DSD is like nothing else in digital", a quote from Florida that I tend to agree with.

Bruce B.seems to think so too. YMMV. I would love to hear what you think though...

Mike, I have heard them both…I have a B7 and have heard the first GG and the PBD. The B7 is already better than the PBD in DSD (and I think the GG will distance itself from the B7 with break in, given that it was equal to a seasoned B7 though fresh out the box), in my opinion. Even the basic DSD only Lampi beats the PBD (I used to have the DSD only). "Lampi DSD is like nothing else in digital", a quote from Florida that I tend to agree with.

Bruce B.seems to think so too. YMMV. I would love to hear what you think though...

There were two guys who moved from PBD to B7 - joaoveira and a friend of his. Mike, I will be interested to know how vinyl rips sound, I assume you would have some.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing