Giant killer: The magnus ma-300

I believe i answered this Marinjim! MIT Oracle, Silent source, audiohorizons - top notch cables!

Sorry, I asked when I first woke up.:D

Likewise! Would love to hear Venture speakers someday!

I have had Artemis Eos, Infinity, B&W 802D, JM Labs/Focal Alto Be, and now the Venture CR-8 Signatures. These speakers are more dynamic, throw a deeper soundstage. I did not think 2 8" could hit so hard.Notes seem to have more body and air around them.

I have had Artemis Eos, Infinity, B&W 802D, JM Labs/Focal Alto Be, and now the Venture CR-8 Signatures. These speakers are more dynamic, throw a deeper soundstage. I did not think 2 8" could hit so hard.Notes seem to have more body and air around them.

Nice collection of speakers you've had!

Thanks Lloyd, how about you?

In just over 20 years, i first owned a demo pair of Celestion SL6si, then Guarneri Homage, then Strads and now the Wilson X1/Grand Slamm. I've always bought 2nd hand/demo and also nearly always had a Velodyne Sub running in parallel (now DD18). When i traded in the Gs for the Strad, i told the dealer there was only 1 speaker for which i would trade in the Strads and that was the Wilson X1. Well...after expecting to own Strads for years to come...2 years later a random pair of X1s came in...sitting in storage for over 14 years and still with original plastic wrapping, spikes never used. The dealer reconed L and R Upper Bass...otherwise in mint condition. If that had not happened, i likely would be at 3 speakers in over 20 years...not bad.

In just over 20 years, i first owned a demo pair of Celestion SL6si, then Guarneri Homage, then Strads and now the Wilson X1/Grand Slamm. I've always bought 2nd hand/demo and also nearly always had a Velodyne Sub running in parallel (now DD18). When i traded in the Gs for the Strad, i told the dealer there was only 1 speaker for which i would trade in the Strads and that was the Wilson X1. Well...after expecting to own Strads for years to come...2 years later a random pair of X1s came in...sitting in storage for over 14 years and still with original plastic wrapping, spikes never used. The dealer reconed L and R Upper Bass...otherwise in mint condition. If that had not happened, i likely would be at 3 speakers in over 20 years...not bad.

I forgot I had the SL6si with an Infinity sub.:). Love your taste in speakers!

I forgot I had the SL6si with an Infinity sub.:). Love your taste in speakers!

What a great combinatioin...i used an old Veldyne F-1200. I really would love to hear the Celestion SL600si and matching dipole sub system.

What a great combinatioin...i used an old Veldyne F-1200. I really would love to hear the Celestion SL600si and matching dipole sub system.

What I loved about the SL6si was when you did the knuckle test and that enclosure was so hard as marble, but seemed to absorb vibrations also. I used with a Symphonic Line RG3, Coda 01 pre and Marantz CDP.

What I loved about the SL6si was when you did the knuckle test and that enclosure was so hard as marble, but seemed to absorb vibrations also. I used with a Symphonic Line RG3, Coda 01 pre and Marantz CDP.

Sorry to take this post so off line but i used my SL6si with just a boombox for a while...it was that early for me in audio. Then came a Denon Integrated using my boombox cd out. that lasted for a long while...and i nearly got an Audioquest Diamond interconnect to go from the boombox to the Denon instead of a CD player for the same money...i ended up AQ Emeralds. A good example of how i upgrade...get the one that will last longest...a $300 IC was far longer an 'investment' than a $300 CD player. Still use the AQ Emeralds for cable box 20 years later.

Eventually, went with CJ MV60/CJ PV14L AQ Crystal and Emerald cables with NAD 5000 CD player...with a Velodyne and change to Guarneris, that was System I fully evolved. System II fully evolved was a complete overhaul (that was the forerunner of System III)...which was CJ ACT2/Gryphon Antileon, Oppo Transport - Zanden DAC, TA Ref cables, Strad/Velodyne DD18. Now the current system is III, with a front end that is fully evolved...the question is whether a 'random mutation' will come along on Audiogon and change my X1s.

I did not like the little red l.e.d. light on the faceplate, so I sent (no easy feat as the amp weighs 160lbs!) my MA-300 to the factory to change to blue l.e.d., re-bias and then tightened all connections.

I did not like the little red l.e.d. light on the faceplate, so I sent (no easy feat as the amp weighs 160lbs!) my MA-300 to the factory to change to blue l.e.d., re-bias and then tightened all connections.

Thanks for that MarinJim; the blu led fits just rigth in my system!

Rearranged the setup yesterday and had a brief listeninig; WOW! things had happened!! The music sounded now more full, the tones so natural and fluent. i really just sat down and just enjoyed the music! first impressions are that the enjoythemusic description is just rigth - i will within the next days find the same recordings and try to listen through them and compare my impressions -but just now the only thing i want to say, why bother to look anywhere else; this amp seem to have it all; the details power and speed of the very best transistor, the fluidness/naturalness of a tube amp, the class a sweetness. Back later for more...

Thanks for that MarinJim; the blu led fits just rigth in my system!

Rearranged the setup yesterday and had a brief listeninig; WOW! things had happened!! The music sounded now more full, the tones so natural and fluent. i really just sat down and just enjoyed the music! first impressions are that the enjoythemusic description is just rigth - i will within the next days find the same recordings and try to listen through them and compare my impressions -but just now the only thing i want to say, why bother to look anywhere else; this amp seem to have it all; the details power and speed of the very best transistor, the fluidness/naturalness of a tube amp, the class a sweetness. Back later for more...

Good to hear. It only get's better! I am trying different cables now from Purist Audio, Verastarr and Jena Labs.

Good to hear. It only get's better! I am trying different cables now from Purist Audio, Verastarr and Jena Labs.

Let us know what you think of the cables...i do like the PAD power cables a lot.

Let us know what you think of the cables...i do like the PAD power cables a lot.
Lloydelee, which cables do you use?
Do you have the Gryphon Antileon Signature still or did you go for Mephisto?
actually, Gryphons top models (colloseum and Mephisto stereo) are the ones that it would have been great to match the Magnus Ma-300 against......

I have also heard great things abut the Synergistic Research Element cables. The entry level cable is better than their top Tesla. The MA-300 needs a high current AC cable.

I have also heard great things abut the Synergistic Research Element cables. The entry level cable is better than their top Tesla. The MA-300 needs a high current AC cable.

Ok, i was never a fan of their previous series; but i should have a posibility to try out their new series.

Lloydelee, which cables do you use?
Do you have the Gryphon Antileon Signature still or did you go for Mephisto?
actually, Gryphons top models (colloseum and Mephisto stereo) are the ones that it would have been great to match the Magnus Ma-300 against......

Hi Porselen,

I use the Gryphon Colosseum stereo (dual mono).

I use PAD Dominus/Anniversary Contego Cables on everything except: Gryphon VIP Reference PC on the Gryphon Colosseum...in addition to coming with the unit when i acquired it 2nd hand, and also to being 20amp and manufactured by Gryphon, it also fits underneath the unit (a PAD cable would not). I also use Sablon Audio Gran Corona on Oppo and Velodyne...exceptionally good and extreme value for money.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing