Giant Custom Horn Systems - How they sound and issues with sonics

I definitely dream of one day building the ultimate system and room. I see what some of these crazy guys do with truly giant custom horn installations and they make me drool, but (like most of us) I've never had an opportunity to hear one of these crazy systems (see pics).

But I'm guessing at least a few of you have and others probably possess some theoretical engineering knowledge around the issues these giant horn systems might create, but I've never seen a thread that discusses the sonic pro's and con's of these systems.

Would love to hear some thoughts (even if it is just some pontificating on theory) regarding these types of installations. Let's discuss.

To have different Amps doesn't affect the frequency response. The different Amps are just to get all Horns on one Level. Basshorn 110dB, Midrangehorn 122dB and Tweeterhorn 116dB. But it never makes the response flat??

Yes but to have a flat response then IT means either the unit gets a reduced signal from the amp the 122 db one for example or the signal is reduced before the amp sorry im not well informed on dsp active speaker s

Besides that different amps have different gain

Correct. But still it doesn't affect the linearity of each single Driver or horn. A driver is good or not good, that's it. Very simple.

Wir kunnen auch Deutsch sprechen lol.
Regarding the analoge active solution IT means you change the amp output for each driver via a potmeter / resistors?

From what I've learned of horn science, sharp angles between horn walls, as well as other abrupt alterations in the horn path (like diffraction slots) are best avoided. Especially with mid- and high frequency horns, the transition from compression driver to the horn throat should be as smooth as possible, ideally with the compression driver's exit angle matching the entrance angle of the horn throat. This to avoid all kinds of interferences, which are products of distortion and a source of the aversion and preconceptions towards horns among many people.

A few pages back I posted some images of a Behringer Electric horn to which a throat adapter is connected. This horn is still far from perfect, but better than many similar horns.
Here's another example of such a throat adapter, a CAD drawing based on numerical modeling:

diy_adapter_1_big.jpg

Last edited:
@ Swenn
Let me guess your project:
1°) One central unit "(extreme) low".
2°) With ..... 4 drivers 15" with back energy to outdoors (open field) .... super low deep .
3°) X-over & Amp & air brush ... unknown ?

Do you have a good sits (ergonomic fauteuil) on the first row ...
"One ticket please, one" ...
Fantastique ....
Courage.
Karel

Karel if you talk about the last one I've posted.... Center Basshorn with 4 TAD 1601 20-160, Left and right Midrange will be a Sato from 160-1600 and inside the Sato the Elysio HT16 Tweeterhorn 1.600-20.000Hz will be located.. It's a project for a customer that I set up. So I can't tell you the final design and seats right now ;)

....Center Basshorn with 4 TAD 1601 20-160
.....It's a project for a customer that I set up.

Nice & heavy project & eye catcher ....
Thanks dealing the frequency operating range ...
A good first aid to reanimate the "big-horn-music-culture" ....

I request my "quids" & more (sorry):
Where shall you deliver the "back-TADdriver-energy" (closed/sealed volume ... or to (street-)open-door).
Issues about "time alignement" (Sato versus bassborn)?
Satodriver type (@160Hz)?

I am curious ....
Chapeau ...

Karel

My basic idea and philosophy is to reanimate the big horn installations.

Good idea & initiative .... nice.

I have a dream ...
Maybe we could organise a big musical audio tour "horn sit-in Europe".
Two (three) days traveling in a musical high class autocar & visit 3 or 4 real custom musical-fullhorn-concept .... all in ...
A sort "European-fullhorn-travelfestival" event ...... "music in vivo" ....
Amateurs ?
Sorry (for this pré-project-idea)....

Karel

I use 4 TAD 1601B's for my horn system for a similar range. I do not use them down to 20hz though. They are built for bass reflex enclosures in mind, but I see people using them in flh. As I do not use digital delay and use passive, I put two of them each in br boxes and time align them physically. They are great sounding woofers.

Where shall you deliver the "back-TADdriver-energy" (closed/sealed volume ... or to (street-)open-door).

It will be an mix of short Frontloaded Horn and open Baffle. So the back will be open. In case of opening the window another DSP setup will be used. And yes, I know the risk of the acoustical shortcut :) I had a similar system in my own room.

about "time alignement" (Sato versus bassborn)?

Dsp time Alignment with an accuracy of 0.2 millimeter

Satodriver type (@160Hz)?

Our Hornsolutions driver.

C7CD5631-9913-4EE9-BF2C-3CFCA1BBB03B.jpeg
As you van see, the the THD r2 is around 40dB under the response. So, absolutely no distortion in a range our ear could hear.

I'm pretty sure you know the driver and the designer very well.

I am curious ....
Chapeau ...

Karel[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Good idea & initiative .... nice.

I have a dream ...
Maybe we could organise a big musical audio tour "horn sit-in Europe".
Two (three) days traveling in a musical high class autocar & visit 3 or 4 real custom musical-fullhorn-concept .... all in ...
A sort "European-fullhorn-travelfestival" event ...... "music in vivo" ....
Amateurs ?
Sorry (for this pré-project-idea)....

Karel

A very good idea. Some good music, some good Whisky, Vine and Cigars

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing