Getting Ready For New 4Point

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
In case anyone is interested, he's the prep for my new (to me) 4Point that's coming tomorrow. It's a VPI Aries 1. When I was looking for an armboard for the Fatboy I had before this, I found out that the Brinkmann round armboards fit perfectly and about a year ago a Brinkmann 4Point armboard popped up on eBay and I grabbed it. I think it looks very cool. Because the 40mm hole is not in the center, it's easy to rotate to get the exact 212MM pivot to spindle distance for the 4Point.

I'll be waiting at the door for UPS tomorrow like a dog waiting for her owner to come home from work.

IMG_0585.jpeg

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Excited to hear about the new arm. 4 points are well thought of and have great adjustments.

Last edited:

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
It's a DL103R variant from AnaMighty Sound. So far the biggest difference compared to the VPI Fatboy Unipivot is the stupidly good dynamics and the overall volume of bass. So far, tonality is not hugely difference but I haven't dialed everything in yet...

Reactions: mtemur

Rdk777

Jul 9, 2019
Awesome. I used the Musikraft shell on a modded DL 103R with great results for a while and currently its sitting as a spare now. Curious if you used the 212mm distance to the center of the VTA tower or 264 mm distance to the center of the horizontal bearing assembly when installing the arm? Theoretically, it should line up, but the horizontal bearing assembly has a divet for the locating pin and can be more accurate.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I used the 212mm and then the included measuring device and double checked it and it's pretty much right on.

rDin

Oct 28, 2019

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I like the 4Point but found the included measuring protractor less than exact when checked against the Uni-Pro P2S (pivot-to-spindle) tool at the bearing with the dimple. Similar tools confirm that. The dimple is there for that reason. If that measurement (264mm) is off, subsequent cartridge alignment will be off.

Wrt the oil torughs my suggestion is to install and gain familiarity with the arm as it comes out of the box. Once you know its sound, then try removing each trough in turn to discover how that changes the sound against the stock configuration. As @rDin says, some users like how it sounds with one or both troughs removed.

Reactions: Rdk777

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
The 4Point definitely doesn't like my AnaMighty DL103R variant, so far. Things fall apart with busy music. Simple stuff sounds amazing. I'm going to add the ballast weight to the headshell and see if that extra mass does the trick.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I like the 4Point but found the included measuring protractor less than exact when checked against the Uni-Pro P2S (pivot-to-spindle) tool at the bearing with the dimple. Similar tools confirm that. The dimple is there for that reason. If that measurement (264mm) is off, subsequent cartridge alignment will be off.

Wrt the oil torughs my suggestion is to install and gain familiarity with the arm as it comes out of the box. Once you know its sound, then try removing each trough in turn to discover how that changes the sound against the stock configuration. As @rDin says, some users like how it sounds with one or both troughs removed.
What was your experience with the effects of removing the troughs? For me it has made the sound a bit hard. Just a little damping and the ballast weight seem to work best so far. I must admit though, my unipivot sounds more alive. More ragged for sure, since the 4Point is so damn pure, but still has something that I haven't been able to get out out of the 4Point yet.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The 4Point definitely doesn't like my AnaMighty DL103R variant, so far. Things fall apart with busy music. Simple stuff sounds amazing. I'm going to add the ballast weight to the headshell and see if that extra mass does the trick.
I doubt it is too light, but experiment away :)

More likely setup work still to be done. Its also possible that you are hearing the carts limitations? Just thinking out loud...

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Ana Mighty reworks usually have higher compliance than stock Denon's.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Ana Mighty reworks usually have higher compliance than stock Denon's.
Interesting but I don't thinks that's part of the issue I'm experiencing. The thing I've established is my ears prefer the livelier sound of a unipivot. I did some comparisons with my old arm, back and forth a few times, and then my buddy came by with his Graham 2.2, which is better than the VPI Fatboy. Tighter bass. Cleaner midrange. He's also an expert setup guy, so I'm confident the 4Point was dialed in. The purity of sound of the 4Point is unbeatable, bass is ridiculously good. Mids are so sweet. So accurate to the recording..... but the tactile sense of a live performance aspect of the uni is undeniable and I think this has left me looking for a possible trade partner that has a 10" Graham Phantom they'd like to trade for a 2015 4Point.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I get it, and personal preference and all, however you described 'things fell apart with busier music'. This is not a trait of the 4pt, nor of gimbal arms necessarily, so I wondered.

Not questioning your or your friends setup abilities. In any case I am all for the move out of the VPI arm.

as a plus the 4pt is a heavy arm assembly ( actual weight ) and so *if* you ever dabbled with a suspended table ( ahem...stst motus IIdq ) your other choices may play nicer. Jus saying ;)

Reactions: wbass

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
I get it, and personal preference and all, however you described 'things fell apart with busier music'. This is not a trait of the 4pt, nor of gimbal arms necessarily, so I wondered.

Not questioning your or your friends setup abilities. In any case I am all for the move out of the VPI arm.

as a plus the 4pt is a heavy arm assembly ( actual weight ) and so *if* you ever dabbled with a suspended table ( ahem...stst motus IIdq ) your other choices may play nicer. Jus saying ;)
Ha!

I do like that the Graham is a bit more universal in terms of compatibility. I still have my original 1980s LP12 in the garage. I could pull that out for some fun!

Also, we got past the falling apart with busier music stage....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing