Genesis at Salon Son et Image, Montreal

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
One does not have to invoke digital jitter in this case to have differences: the two recording paths were totally different. Different microphones, the first path was totally digital, the second was analogue recorded to tape, then replayed for digitisation for the CD master. I would have been staggered if they sounded identical; the tape manipulation would have added a whole lot of distor..., sorry, analogue warmth to the sound. No chance for sounding identical ...

Frank

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One does not have to invoke digital jitter in this case to have differences: the two recording paths were totally different. Different microphones, the first path was totally digital, the second was analogue recorded to tape, then replayed for digitisation for the CD master. I would have been staggered if they sounded identical; the tape manipulation would have added a whole lot of distor..., sorry, analogue warmth to the sound. No chance for sounding identical ...

Frank

I understand Frank :) I was pointing out that everything from stem to stern has an impact. And most don't think about the production quality; their thinking stops with the mastering and it's all the same after that point in time.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
There's issues at every step in the recording and producing of an LP/CD. For CDs, even the plant the disc was pressed at makes a huge difference. Jitter is easily introduced even at the manufacturing level. And many times, you can't assume that all the discs of a given recordings are pressed at the same plant. :(

Yes - I've listened to enough CD test pressings at Winston Ma's to know this. You'd think that bits are bits (and so did I) but it seems not. The reason FIM CDs sound so good is the obsessive attention to detail to every single step of the process. Even within a plant, one pressing machine can deliver CDs that differ from another "identical" machine.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Yes - I've listened to enough CD test pressings at Winston Ma's to know this. You'd think that bits are bits (and so did I) but it seems not. The reason FIM CDs sound so good is the obsessive attention to detail to every single step of the process. Even within a plant, one pressing machine can deliver CDs that differ from another "identical" machine.
The simple answer is that the better quality disks are easier to read than others, the transport doesn't have work as hard electrically to pick up the "bits", less disturbed power supplies, less interference of the mains and level of RF, the effects ripple out like those from the proverbial stone dropped in the pond ...

Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I always think that I have achieved my objective when the audience forgets about the gear and listens to the music. Not the smartest thing to do as a manufacturer, but I'm a music lover first.

Thats why your stuff wins the awards!!! Congrats Gary and Carole!!!!!! (BTW, i just got my copy of the Bach Cello Suites from MA...great recording!)

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thats why your stuff wins the awards!!! Congrats Gary and Carole!!!!!! (BTW, i just got my copy of the Bach Cello Suites from MA...great recording!)

Thanks Lloyd. Yes, the Bach Cello Suites is a great recording. That Stainer violoncello is something else.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Unfortunately, we don't have a dealer in New York. Next show might be in Toronto.

That would be cool! And I'm sure that Annie would be very much in favour of your attendence there as well!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
That would be cool! And I'm sure that Annie would be very much in favour of your attendence there as well!

I'm sure that September is too long to wait. I'm trying to confirm a Genesis event during the opening event for Angie's new store - which has been "opening soon" for the last 3 months!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm sure that September is too long to wait. I'm trying to confirm a Genesis event during the opening event for Angie's new store - which has been "opening soon" for the last 3 months!

I know. Glad she's changing the site as it was horrific (IMO), but hey who am I to say. If you do arrange this, will you let me know? I'd love to be there!.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing