Gene's system

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gene, can I ask why diffusion was not advised for yr front wall? This is an area I'm really interested in, and there seems no consensus on use of diffusion in different rooms.

Other than not putting a stereo in a gymnasium, I think that the idiosyncrasies of different speakers (and different speaker topologies) in different systems in different rooms subject to different sonic preferences make any consensus about front wall acoustic treatment not only impossible but unwise.

Reactions: dbeau

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Great looking room and system. Congratulations. I like the way the speakers are so far forward allowing the centrally placed rack and gear to be low and far behind the plane of the speakers. Could you describe the sound of the system and what, if any, your sonic priorities are and your music preferences?
Hi Peter. Btw, I've followed your posts over time and believe your system is tremendous! To answer your question I have to first give you a bit of history on how I listen to music and what I value in a hi-fi playback system. My family comes from a musical background. I was first exposed to lengthy constant symphony rehearsals and concerts from a young age as my mother played violin for the city's symphony for several years and I played trombone and piano. My youngest plays violin and has perfect pitch which according to her teacher is a bit of a curse. Listening to her practise in the living room puts me in a musical bliss as she is my best reference. The Dynaudio C2's strengths are tonal purity, coherence, imaging, smoothness, handling of rhythms and neutrality. I'm willing to give up some of that last siblence in the top end found in beryllium and diamond tweeters for the Esotar tweeter. The bass is enough for me as it's true accurate bass, not over-inflated in the mid-band as some manufacturers like to do. I don't have any bass traps in my room and the recent acquisition of the Torus conditioner has given me another octave in the bass region and a complete dead silence noise floor. It's almost eerie sounding that my ears are still adjusting to the added low level detail. The only 3-way speakers that sounded terrific to me are just uber expensive. As we all know, a properly designed two-way speaker can be a great option. Since my speakers are placed so far forward, the instruments just "disappear" in space. I used to own a Spectral DMA 150 amp but found it a bit lean and too clinical. To be fair I have not heard the new Spectral reference amps and would most likely fall in love with them. In the end I wanted to arrange a system with an extremely neutral pre-amp and speakers and build some warmth/musicality around it. I find the Pass just puts so much "meat" on the bones, there is so much texture in the mid range. The Luxman dac is velvety smooth. I like the organic sound of vinyl but it's not an option now. If I had collected LP's over the years I would have made the plunge on a table. Back in the mid 90's I almost bought a Kuzma Stabi Reference but I was too "scared" to trust the medium over the long haul. I guess I'm trying to mimic the sound of vinyl but with the convenience of digital. Below are some pics of some extremely rare Stradivarius violins that I was lucky enough to see up close during our recent trip to Florence.
http://www.galleriaaccademiafirenze.beniculturali.it/

Reactions: PeterA

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Other than not putting a stereo in a gymnasium, I think that the idiosyncrasies of different speakers (and different speaker topologies) in different systems in different rooms subject to different sonic preferences make any consensus about front wall acoustic treatment not only impossible but unwise.
Yes, I do agree with you Ron. You make a very valid point. I'm envious to those who have been fortunate enough to have had their rooms professionally measured acoustically and then given specific recommendations based on scientific findings.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Congratulations on a great room and an amazing system! Love the amp stands!

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
Thank you Macattack. Your system is quite impressive when I read your profile. Did you ever post pics? I'd love to see the system especially those Strads!
. I will see what I have.

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada
Beatiful system, congratulations. May I ask what is under your speakers?
Thanks Grade98. I'm using an extra pair of older zoethecus z slabs. My initial plans were to use the Isoacoustics Gaii 2 but they were a real pain trying to get them to thread tightly enough for a perfect fit. So I used the Gaii 2's under my components instead which made a difference.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing