GBS' First Recordings by Me, Now On Youtube!

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Streaming very slowly Mark, even the 360p.

I often have trouble with the 720P version, but I noticed the entire Internet seems really sluggish this Christmas. Just loading most web sites was agonizingly slow, so I think it's congestion, plus possibly more Youtube users online than usual.

I wish y'all could hear the 24-bit master. The Youtube video is a vague facscimile of it, which, by itself, doesn't sound too bad.

"Balanced" is the most frequent comment I hear from string players in the violin section, who've been here to watch/listen to the preview on Blu-ray disc. My unique miking technique allows me to place the array where the balance is natural (from an audience perspective), yet have the 'reach' to sniff deep into the orchestra, reject hall ambience, and pick up the smallest sounds coming from the stage. The neat thing is that with as little as a 10° tilt on the center channel mic, can make the difference between a cello solo that is 'in your face' and one that gets lost in the mix. These Youtube videos are a mix of the three front channels. The surround version really puts you in the hall and there's an almost disturbing sense of space and people all around you, on a subliminal level.

I'm looking forward to getting our holiday concert done and online in the next few weeks. That turned out even better. I had exposure and backfocus problems and some rather nervous editing on this November concert due to being out of practice and not having enough time to get setup. Also, we got the mic anchor cables higher up in December, so there's more freedom for the balcony cams to get better views than shown here in this November concert. And.. the music's much more interesting.. Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. Can't wait til it's approved and online!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing