Gato pwr 222 monoblocks

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
Gato is a brand that is gaining a lot of fans , especially now the price is cheaper . support seems to be good . i know one or two use their equipment which is not just class D . the pwr 222 are rather beautiful and wonder how folks get on with them . ?

https://www.gato-audio.com/eu/pwr-222.html

"The PWR-222 delivers a staggering 250W/8ohm and can deal with even the most power hungry speakers. It features a 700W super low noise torodial power transformer, 44.000uF of RIFA capacitors, two 500amp MOS-FETS and WBT NexGen terminals.
The super low noise input stage and the carefully optimized PCB design enables a S/N ratio of more than 115dB and a bandwidth of far beyond 100kHz."

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I personally find the design very peculiar looking, haven’t heard the brand for years, no comment on the sound :rolleyes:

GreginNH

Nov 3, 2018
I have owned the PWR-222 monos for more than a year. They are simply amazing. The Gato preamp is not that great. I have paired the Luzman CL-38u SE and Audio Research Ref 6 with Gatos with great results!

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
ah thanks for that honest opinion , i had half thought of the gato pre if my bel canto pre3 vbs ever packed up. its a similar size etc

Bmwsport007

May 9, 2021
Gato is a brand that is gaining a lot of fans , especially now the price is cheaper . support seems to be good . i know one or two use their equipment which is not just class D . the pwr 222 are rather beautiful and wonder how folks get on with them . ?

https://www.gato-audio.com/eu/pwr-222.html

"The PWR-222 delivers a staggering 250W/8ohm and can deal with even the most power hungry speakers. It features a 700W super low noise torodial power transformer, 44.000uF of RIFA capacitors, two 500amp MOS-FETS and WBT NexGen terminals.
The super low noise input stage and the carefully optimized PCB design enables a S/N ratio of more than 115dB and a bandwidth of far beyond 100kHz."
I’ve had the Mono Gato’s for almost 2 years and they are staggering in both detail but also very organic and natural sounding. I added a MSB Descrete recently along with a Lumin server and I’m simply blown away on how good they sound. Also the build quality is stunning plus they look fantastic.
I do have a Audiovalve pre which I upgraded the tubes to vintage Brimar’s which really took the sound up to another level in terms of being organic and real .

hifinutt

Mar 1, 2020
wow thanks bmw , there is a big love of gato in uk , friend of mine using the lovely 150 integrated with a focal 1028 and loves it. he had gamut power amp before some years ago. these are of course not easy to come by . i am always interested in comments about kit that is a decent size and weight . one is not getting any younger and my days of lugging 50kg amps are gone !!

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
I've been blessed to have a wonderful dealer in Nashua, NH, USA ( Audio Video Therapy LLC) loan me a pair of Gato 222s for my main 2 channel system, driving Aerial 20T V2s. The Aerial founder/designer Michael Kelly turned me on to them and so I reached out from here in the Denver area and John (dealer) sent them to me asap. As I've stated in another thread, I want to compare them to the Coda No. 16 stereo amplifier but a used version arrived damaged (so the mfg shipped them to his place, repaired them, updated them and they are on their way back here now).

Well, decision time came before the Coda got here, but John made me such a nice offer I bought the Gatos regardless, rather than shipping them back. They are superlative with the 20Ts; i.e they have enough current to drive the 2.8 ohm speakers, and do so with a smoothness and a tonal color palette that I cannot imagine the Coda 16 surpassing it. If it does, the Gatos will be sold, but I'm happy with the decision. Yes, I am looking forward to trying the Coda 16 but the bar is very very high. These amps are incredibly musical, have tight bass control, an immense soundstage and yet pianos aren't 20 feet wide as other large soundstage amps tend to portray.

Stay tuned.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing