Gary's Music Server

ktm777

Mar 19, 2013
No, Jplay doesn't NEED a powerful PC to run in Xtreme mode. There are two ways that Jplay can be run:
- Single PC mode & I can run this on my HP Pavillion DM1 netbook using AMD E-350 CPU in Xtream mode
- dual PC mode streaming from one PC (ControlPC) to another (AudioPC). Again I can use my netbook for either AudioPC or ControlPC. The thing is a Zuma as AudioPC sounds better & we are trying to work out why. Probably a lot lot do with the power supply fluctuations being minimised i.e fanless & SSD & Pico PSU

But you will have to wait until we have finished our tests/comparisons for a better handle on this

From JPlay website:
"Requirements:
Windows 8/7/Vista is required (XP is not supported). Windows 8 64-bit is highly recommended for best results.
Minimum 2GB of RAM are required 4GB recommended (for HiRez and Xtream playback engine) Network adapter (Ethernet or WiFi)
Kernel Streaming/WASAPI/ASIO capable audio interface (DAC). External DAC connected vis USB->SPDIF recommended for best results.
Minimum dual-core CPU. Quad-core is recommended for best sonic results
."
Netbook Quad-core with 4 GB RAM? - looks like zuma :)

Last edited:

ktm777

Mar 19, 2013
I am still running Gary's second version of his music server and I love it. I am still using FooBar and it plays all of my files from RBCD to 24/192 to DSD. It's hard to imagine the sound getting better, but I'm sure it can.
I would like to try it, but hate Foobar for it's Copy & Paste, prefer JRiver GUI. In short comparison JRiver also sounded better for me (even without Jplay plugin).

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Really? A while back, I bought one of those for my wife simply because it was simple and cheap and she liked the keyboard. Mebbe she will let me borrow it?!

You'll have to replace the spinning drive with a SSD, and disable quite a lot of stuff..... not sure if she will still like it after you return it if she's not using it as a music server :)

ktm777

Mar 19, 2013
You'll have to replace the spinning drive with a SSD, and disable quite a lot of stuff..... not sure if she will still like it after you return it if she's not using it as a music server :)

SSD is not a problem. Could he made second partition, make all the changes there and boot there if using it as a server ?

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thanks for the suggestions but I was kidding about borrowing it from her. I bought it to keep her off my PCs and sharing this one would only complicate all the things I wanted to avoid! It was just a surprise to realize that you were talking about the very machine I chose for other reasons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing