CES 2016: Amir's day 3 mini-blog

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Today was a mixed day of meetings, seeing some of the main floor where large companies display and back to Venetian to complete floor 30. Today I will visit those on floor 31.

The news on the main floor was of course TVs this time with high-dynamic range (HDR) and wider gamut. See http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...nding-Ultra-HD-Blu-ray-Disc-and-TV-Technology for background on these technologies.

As a result, the images were the best I have ever seen on show floor. High-dynamic range content was everywhere meaning you saw a range of brightness to dark that you have never seen. As much as 10X more range than current displays. Combine that with more colors and this was one festive CES show!

Nowhere was this more apparent than LG's booth where they had the most impressive demonstration I have ever seen of display technology. Think of what you thought of IMAX surround the first time you saw it. This was similar in nature. Probably a hundred OLD displays were hug on the ceiling and in a curve in the front. All playing the most detailed, high dynamic range and colorful imaginable. It was captivating beyond captivating. Of course pictures will not do justice but here they are anyway. First the ceiling:

And front wall:

Samsung also had a stunning demo of moving panels and in the absence of the LG I would have raved about that.

Along with this the award for the worst large display element in a show goes to Sony:

You can't tell what I am talking about because in real life those images were scrolling up/down. What would happen is that you got dizzy and disoriented because the brain would transpose the wall image with the floor making you think the floor was moving in the opposite direction!!! Translation was that you would almost lose your balance. The images on the wall were also washed out and totally uninteresting. Big fail here from my ex-employer.

Back to displays cameras can't do justice to images there but here is one LG shot:

Panasonic was also there with their much praised OLED display. It is a thick unit with a hunking module slapped on the back of it. Release date is in March i think in Europe and still no availability for US. Comes in one size. No pricing.

While not unique to Intel, they showed a drone using their camera sense technology that followed a person. I had no idea how responsive these could be. It was just like scifi movies where some small spaceship is chasing another and shooting at it. As the person ran behind a column, it would wait and as soon as the person would become visible to it again, it would spin and follow it with incredible speed and maneuverability.

The day ended with seeing some more high-end suites including Technics, Zanden, etc. Then for relief, I went to Gary's Genesis suite and listened to great music for a couple of hours. To my pleasant surprise, Gary invited with to their dinner and we spent an amazing few hours talking about everything from forum (yes, you all), food, pets, audio, medicine, etc. It could not be a more total package of friendship, kindness, enjoyment and learning.

Alas, got to my room around 12:00, posts until 1:00 am and wake up at 7:00am. I am officially beat. Hard to decide what to go and see next. Thanks to everyone who follows my ramblings. It makes it worthwhile to put in the effort.

Will leave with these two pictures, one of Samsung's sliding display and the amazing booth and people at VAC that were more than willing to play music just for me after closing hours:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Amir,

Did you happen to see the large 170in screen that is made from smaller panels that appear to dock seamlessly? Looks like an interesting concept that considering big panel yield is the way to go for larger screens. Maybe even lead to being able to start small and move to larger screens without getting rid of old one.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No. Who was displaying it? I have never been a fan of those because the seams are visible and quite distracting.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing