Game of Thrones definitely worth watching

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Six Years Late To The Game but better late than never

well believe it or not I was one of the few people in the world who never saw one episode of Game Of Thrones in the entire 6 years it has been on HBO. This summer has been terrible for good movies and very few decent TV series to boot. One day after a lengthy phone conversation with ddk our thoughts drifted from stereo, to politics and ultimately to Game Of Thrones. Sheepishly I admitted that we had never watched it and because it is now 6 years of 60 episodes we chose not to consider. Well David told me it was one if the best TV series he has ever seen and so much so that it was almost addicting to watch

Well my wife and I decided to watch Season One Episode one about 6 weeks ago and we were instantly hooked. Over these past 6 weeks we have binged on the series and finally last night finished the 60th episode

What an amazingly wonderful series.What IMO is even more amazing is the magnitude of each episode in it's depth and scope. The staging, costumes, animal etc etc that went int each production was mind boggling. I have heard talk that each episode cost $15M to produce and that ain't hay.

Does anyone have any idea as to how much longer it is going to run as there are still many side stories going on at the conclusion of Season 6

The computer graphic imaging is also extremely well done throughout.

I have to admit I am looking forward to Season 7 after consuming the previous 60 episodes in 6 weeks

David has made me promise that I will now watch Penny Dreadful

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Only 2 seasons to go. Shooting and release of Season 7 will be a few months delayed, not the usual April opening. Why?

WINTER IS HERE

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I only got into it last year and was hooked right away as well. We don't watch a lot of TV, so no HBO for us, but I purchased the Blu-ray editions.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
welcome to the GOT club, doc! there is one final season, split likely into two, 7 episode components. my guess is winter next year Pt 1 release, since it fits the theme and the filming delay to accommodate winter shooting.

if you want to read the books in the interim, 1 and 3 are exceptional. 4-5 are meandering, wastes of time.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada

well believe it or not I was one of the few people in the world who never saw one episode of Game Of Thrones in the entire 6 years it has been on HBO. This summer has been terrible for good movies

It's a good thing people are voting with their wallets and not financing further reboots, prequels of sequels and remakes.

Yes, GOT totally makes you reconsider 'made for TV' shows as they are so well made now.

Actually, not only we had not started to watch GOT until quite late, I had actually stopped watching TV for 11 years or so (therefore, no shows either).

Breaking Bad and GOT rekindled my interest for TV shows, and this new trend for better 'made for TV' (I include Netflix as a provider for these shows too) was confirmed and sustained by: Hannibal (until end of S02 only), Daredevil, Sherlock and Narcos. The Walking Dead S01 only was great too while Darabont was involved.

In these shows, the story-line and characters have much more time to develop. The finances are there, so they don't look like cheap productions anymore.

That's why I now watch much more shows in a short time, I'm catching up!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

well believe it or not I was one of the few people in the world who never saw one episode of Game Of Thrones in the entire 6 years it has been on HBO. T

No, there are many others who have passed on GOT. We started watching the first episode and the gratuitous violence was absurd. Then after a couple of years of hearing people talk about the show I decided to give it another go. As soon as I saw flying dragons I dumped it for good.

I have found too many good shows on Netflix and Amazon to waste my time GOT.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
To each our own . I passed on the show initially for the very same reason that you mentioned here. I too heard from too many people about how great the show was and I gave it a chance and I'm glad that I did. I loved it. I can't wait for season seven.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
GOT makes you think about the quality of TV shows? Um, no... that happened way back in the day with Band of Brothers.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
GOT makes you think about the quality of TV shows? Um, no... that happened way back in the day with Band of Brothers.

I don't care about War-related shows or movies.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
On this forum, while speed reading, I thought you said Game of Thorens

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Interestingly, although certainly the visual aspects of gratuitous nudity, sex and violence are missing from the books, my impression is that the TV series is actually toned down a bit from what it could be based on the books.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
My brother reads the comics for "The Walking Dead" and I asked him how they're different he said, "they talk more, and there's more rape... A LOT MORE rape."

I doubt GOT is much different. But I wonder if the weird feminist vibe peeks it's head up as often in the books?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
My brother reads the comics for "The Walking Dead" and I asked him how they're different he said, "they talk more, and there's more rape... A LOT MORE rape."

This Season's new episode was quite shocking.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have high hopes TWD... But I wish they would've killed other characters. Who knows, they seem to have this theme with bully groups coming and going. I can't help but wonder why none them get military armaments... well I guess "The Govern" did have a tank. I'd be all about having tanks, rockets, etc. It sure seems like they're lax at preparing for invasion/issues with other groups.

GOT should be good so long as they don't make it too Daenerys centric, as her whole SJW theme gets a bit silly at times. I had a moment of denial when I read the words "it'll be delayed for awhile"; that hurts.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What's SJW Folsom?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
"Social Justice Warrior"

Don't be confused by the Google definition, it's really a term for annoying people that think if you're for one cause you're for all the ones no matter how insane - on the fundamentalists-terrorist spectrum of liberals - , are complete bullies with no respect for differences in opinions/morals, and are object to facts and science. It's not the easiest description for someone not familiar, and harder to understand the derogatory nature without experience with the types since they align with so many things at least one you will agree with.

The Mother of Dragons is often non-sensically concerned with things in such a way they're out of their period of "history" or rather age of humans - even in an alternate universe. Perspective of someone in those times simply does not align with things predicated on decades of theory in the USA, primarily, on subjects that are bastardized horribly from history's reality to fit narratives that serve the repeating theories. This is a long topic, which will offend someone's morality and turn political even though it's historic. (Yes I know GOT isn't in our universe, not real, but it's mostly based in reality for structure, and everything short of magic)

I hope that helps and doesn't make it worse.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"Social Justice Warrior"

Don't be confused by the Google definition, it's really a term for annoying people that think if you're for one cause you're for all the ones no matter how insane - on the fundamentalists-terrorist spectrum of liberals - , are complete bullies with no respect for differences in opinions/morals, and are object to facts and science. It's not the easiest description for someone not familiar, and harder to understand the derogatory nature without experience with the types since they align with so many things at least one you will agree with.

The Mother of Dragons is often non-sensically concerned with things in such a way they're out of their period of "history" or rather age of humans - even in an alternate universe. Perspective of someone in those times simply does not align with things predicated on decades of theory in the USA, primarily, on subjects that are bastardized horribly from history's reality to fit narratives that serve the repeating theories. This is a long topic, which will offend someone's morality and turn political even though it's historic. (Yes I know GOT isn't in our universe, not real, but it's mostly based in reality for structure, and everything short of magic)

I hope that helps and doesn't make it worse.

Got it. We have a name for that here too which I shall keep to myself.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Got it. We have a name for that here too which I shall keep to myself.

They're friends of Special Snowflakes, who need Safe Spaces to be able to travel from place to place, otherwise they feel offended.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing