From Avalon to ???

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
Ooops How I missed this thread!!! I know now I am late, anyway....

i returned to Avalon. :)

yes! one more. Eidolon have a great bass even controlled and real.

Pierre,
Do you never thought of having issues with acoustics in your room? Amati have a prominent high frequencies character but they have an important bass presence too.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Hello I am new here, I am from Denmark to, but living in Sweden. You should try different cables, I had success with Straightwire Crescendo on Martin Logan Cls's and MBL's, giving more "slam" in the mid bass. Are your speakers on spikes?

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
I'm very close to change this threat from Avalon to Sonus Faber to ????

I am really missing speed and slam in the buttom. The bass is tight and in control, so the problem is not the room or the acoustics.

I can come to 2 things. One, the speakers is just not my tast - But i have heard them before in a show. And i dont recall them playing this slow and without slam/ kick in the buttom.

Two, there is something in my setup thats not playing well with these Amati Anniversarios.

(Tree) i have not been abel to find the right placment.

My setup is this:
SF Amati Anniversario
Pass Labs xa100,5
Hovland hp200p
TW Raven one - Kuzma 4point - Lyra Titan i
Shunyata Cobra Ztron speaker, IC and power cables.
Tubes in Hovland Telefunken ecc803s
DaaD acoustics bass traps in the cormers.

The speakers are placed on spikes and Herbies disc.

What can i do beside sell the speakers?

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I'm very close to change this threat from Avalon to Sonus Faber to ????

I am really missing speed and slam in the buttom. The bass is tight and in control, so the problem is not the room or the acoustics.

I can come to 2 things. One, the speakers is just not my tast - But i have heard them before in a show. And i dont recall them playing this slow and without slam/ kick in the buttom.

Two, there is something in my setup thats not playing well with these Amati Anniversarios.

(Tree) i have not been abel to find the right placment.

My setup is this:
SF Amati Anniversario
Pass Labs xa100,5
Hovland hp200p
TW Raven one - Kuzma 4point - Lyra Titan i
Shunyata Cobra Ztron speaker, IC and power cables.
Tubes in Hovland Telefunken ecc803s
DaaD acoustics bass traps in the cormers.

The speakers are placed on spikes and Herbies disc.

What can i do beside sell the speakers?

Speaker positioning, try extreme spots like to close to the walls (both of them), toe-in, etc.. write your findings and get the best position possible.

Are you happy with your Hovland preamp? I had the 100 and found it a tad cold in my system and sold it.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Ever considered the Marten Birds ?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I dont think i need a bigger AMP, because no matter how loud i play, the needle on the XA100.5 dont move a tiny bit.....

With the Avalon Transcendent the needle often moved over in class a/b.

What i miss with these speakers is, the kick and slam in the bass and lover mids. The bass i tight and full body, all i missed with the Avalon. But the dynamics and the liveliness in the bass is almost gone.

I know that cables are important, and mabye i can find some of the problem here.
At the moment i'm using a cheap Belden 4S11 speakercable with WBT and a noname XLR IC.
Another thing is that the speakers havnt been uset that mutch and proberly havnt been played on in some mounth. I hear some difference now, compared to when i got them.

I tried the ISIS for about 2mo. and with my XA-100.5 amps, the needles were bouncing like the vu meters on my Studers! It was a gorgeous sound, but I would have had to upgrade the amps as well.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Don't give up without trying different cables, the right cable can sometime work magic. If you are near Copenhagen there are plenty of dealers that will let you try cables at home if you leave a deposit. Jesper, the importer of Martin Logan and Sonus Faber in Denmark is a nice guy and will most likely be helpfull.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I've had both Amatis (Anniversario and the newer Futura), and the biggest change going to the Futura was in the punch/bass department.
The bass on the old Amatis are indeed a bit flabby and slow, and in the new one, a bit faster, with more excursion. But the Futuras are harder to drive for that.
If you like everything else about the SF, why don't you give the Futuras a try?

alexandre

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In boxes, my favorite speakers are Avalons and vandersteens - the Quattros or 5s are a good match for the Transcendant, and easier to set up as their bass can be tuned to the room

samsamsam

Mar 30, 2014
Have you heard SONICS Allegria?Now is SUESSKIND Tangram.it is really great speaker i have owned.and easy to drive.
i have heard SONUS FABER AMATI ANV before,it is great speaker too,but it's hard to drive,need more power.

Rob.Petersen

May 6, 2014
Vancouver, WA
The YG Kipods and the Moon Audio integrated amp was the standout system for me and my reviewer at the shows in 2012. I would try the YG if you are looking to fill out the chest in a singer. The Wilson Alexia is also to to be demoed for right sizing the lower chest in vocals. Avalons can indeed pinpoint the image and you can adjust amps (to your liking) but Spectral is the known "handshake" and shows off the Avalon signature sound.

Short List: YG, Wilson.

Hi Peter - just want to confirm my understanding of your "handshake" comment...Spectral and Avalon work great together? I'm hoping to arrange a session with some Spectral gear, just out of interest for the brand, but if I can get a "heads up" on what works "best" (gawd, that's a dangerous word) with it, I'll see if it can be put together...
Do you recall, five or six years back when Karan Acoustics was seen with Avalon a lot? From what comments I've read on the Karan gear that would yield a vastly different result from the Spectral....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi I have not heard avalons with spectral, but one of the london dealers runs it with VTL, dcs sources, tellurium Q cabling and still points and his system is one of the best I have heard. I have heard the speakers with Levinson and Edge and haven't liked that.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes Big Avalon Fan--owned Ascent II's/Eclipse/etc-- maybe a tad laid-back for some on presentation--but the lack of fatigue inducing overly etched sonics of some comparable brands is a relief.

Smooth as silk with Dynamics than remain with you not hollowing out your head! Fine Company and service as well.

I ran them with Pass/ Jadis/Cellos/-- the big Jadis was the foremost to bring out their best.

At shows they always take care on room setup--in fact hard to pick a standout--but I'd say the pairing with Audio Consulting was the finest I've heard paired.

Good luck

BruceD

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Hello agin

I have now been working with my SF Amati Anniversarium for 7 month. I must unforntly say that they are a bid to big for my room.
I like there sound, but they are to boomy for my room.

So i have been thinking about the new Guarneri evolution. But are afraid of that they don't have enough power in the lower hz.

My room is 4x5 meters with 3meters to the selling.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hello agin

I have now been working with my SF Amati Anniversarium for 7 month. I must unforntly say that they are a bid to big for my room.
I like there sound, but they are to boomy for my room.

So i have been thinking about the new Guarneri evolution. But are afraid of that they don't have enough power in the lower hz.

My room is 4x5 meters with 3meters to the selling.

Hi Pierre,

You have a very nice system...and it is clear you like your Amatis (as you should...they are excellent speakers). You also have quite a good sized room for them...not that small, particularly with a good ceiling height/volume.

Just to double check, have you considered isolation for your speakers or room treatments? Just curious. What kind of flooring?

Again, just curious...its your system and your ears. I just thought I would ask since you have obviously taken some time to put together a very nice system.

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
Hi Pierre,

You have a very nice system...and it is clear you like your Amatis (as you should...they are excellent speakers). You also have quite a good sized room for them...not that small, particularly with a good ceiling height/volume.

Just to double check, have you considered isolation for your speakers or room treatments? Just curious. What kind of flooring?

Again, just curious...its your system and your ears. I just thought I would ask since you have obviously taken some time to put together a very nice system.

I LOVE the A.A. bouth the bass is now and then a bit to boomy. Not much but still enough to my likings.

I have room treatment. In the corners behind the speakers i have bass traps from http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/daad.php, thick carpet in front of the speakers and a thick floor to selling curtains infornt of the window.

The walls are brick wall, the floor is an old wood`n floor (old apartment from 1870)

When you say isolations for the speakers, what are you thinking about? I have the small Herbies disc under the spikes.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I LOVE the A.A. bouth the bass is now and then a bit to boomy. Not much but still enough to my likings.

I have room treatment. In the corners behind the speakers i have bass traps from http://www.acusticaapplicata.com/daad.php, thick carpet in front of the speakers and a thick floor to selling curtains infornt of the window.

The walls are brick wall, the floor is an old wood`n floor (old apartment from 1870)

When you say isolations for the speakers, what are you thinking about? I have the small Herbies disc under the spikes.

Hi Pierre,

A few observations/questions...others here with greater expertise will hopefully also participate.

1. What happens when you put in those acoustic treatments...what happens when you remove them? Did it reduce the boom?

2. Brick walls may, I suspect, bounce (and not absorb)...are they covered at all, even with oriental carpet? I wonder if Stillpoints Apertures would help here?

3. The wooden floor...construction in the 19th Century...it could also be that the Amatis are transferring some bass down thru the floorboards which are resonating. Try a simple experiment. Place them on an Auralex isolation platform...very inexpensive ($60?) and they are often used by professional bands when they play and need to put amps/speakers or parts of drum kits on a stage (which is hollow underneath) and need to avoid the interaction between their equipment and a resonate floor.

For me, I have a Velodyne DD18 and the floor 'sang' with the sub. Once I placed the Sub on top of the Auralex, a lot of bass boominess just disappeared.

If you cannot find Auralex (usually available on Amazon), try elevating them to isolate them from the floor...anything...just to see if the boominess goes away or at lease reduces (again it might also be partly your walls). If it does, then you know you need to do something about the speakers and how they are isolated from the floor.

Hope some of this proves to be helpful.

Last edited:

Pierre

Jun 18, 2012
Denmark
NEWS :D

I have sold the SF Amati Anniversario and made a great deal on a set of Wilson Sasha I.
They have now been playing for 3 weeks in my room and i LOVE THEM :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing