Fremer says 9" arms are inherently superior?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I find this for me at least to be a most interesting thread. Mike has joined the forum and I am hoping he will post his thoughts and that any and all responses be carried out in a kind and civil manner. I would like to learn from this thread.

^

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
+1!

And also many other reviewers I enjoy reading. Unfortunately the original post of this thread indirectly posted the opinion of another person (Michael Fremer) , without properly quoting him or posting an accessible link to his opinion. As could be foreseen, this thread evolved ignoring the facts corroborating the opinion with posts such as ( I haven't read the article (...) , I don't know the article OP is referring to (...) and now includes a unacceptable attack on Michael Fremer.

I have complained several times on the aggressive anti-reviewer attitude and posts about reviewers in this forum, as IMHO this unfriendly attitude only drives away reviewers and members from WBF. Perhaps we can re-think this subject.

I agree Francisco! We will not countenance aggressive or obnoxious anti-reviewer attitude here.

Thoughtful, measured, considered and intellectually defensible criticism is, of course, acceptable, but snarky, personal attacks will not be tolerated.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I am glad you brought that up. In that respect, I am definitely biased. I am the very happy owner of DeVore O/93's. When a reviewer writes that the enclosure is full of resonant nodes that must adversely effect the SQ to a greater or lesser degree, I bristle a bit. Mea culpa, I happen to believe that very well respected reviewers spew a lot of utter BS based on measurements. "Massive negative influence of resonances"! Let me ask; why do you use that phrase? Why "MASSIVE"? Do you possess your own independent basis for that view of the audio-world, or is it one you absorbed from reading reviews? Your loudspeaker drivers resonate, your room resonates, your ear drums resonate, your cartridge and cantilever resonate, but you believe that resonance is evil. I am telling you that based upon my own experience, I don't feel things are so simple. Good audio systems "play" to the reality of resonance. A completely dead speaker enclosure could be fabricated of concrete and a completely dead listening room could be fabricated like an anechoic chamber and every resonance in the system could be systematically eliminated and if you got any sound at all, it would sound like shite. I happen to believe that eliminating resonance from vibrating transformers in an amp and using dampers around a sensitive input tubes and isolating a turntable from resonance are most often beneficial and have their place, but the idea that all resonance is bad is simply incorrect. That has been my primary point in each of my posts in this thread.

The analog world is full of "fake precisions" that sell all manner of nostrums on the notion that things can be micro managed beyond a horizon of convergent distortions where such claims are basically impossible. High end cartridges have no uniformity of manufacture, much less uniformity of design philosophy, yet you will read articles about azimuth precision making all the difference. It's a tower of babel of contradictory positions that evolve into sales religion.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

And I feel we should also respect reviews that do not include comparisons, as I prefer descriptive reviews with opinions on equipment with specif recordings ... Yes, we friendly disagree on that one...

Yes, we certainly can respect reviews which do not include component comparisons, but I do not think it is unfair to observe that comparative reviews are more interesting and helpful to some audiophiles, and that comparative reviews are more difficult to conduct and to write.

AnalogCorner

Industry Expert
May 22, 2018
In the latest issue of S'Phile Mikey, in the course of reviewing the 9" version of the Kuzma 4Point arm, declares the inherent superiority of 9" arms on the basis of less moment of inertia and higher rigidity. He has made such references in the past. I have no doubt he believes this but I am surprised that he cites to theoretical aspects only, and that his beliefs defy the historical collective consciousness of thousands of vinyl enthusiasts. I fully understand and accept that errors in cartridge alignment become magnified with a 12" arm but the difference that 1.5 or 3 inches of tonearm can make in relative moment of inertia would seem minuscule and Mikey's citation to stereo grooves and horizontal and vertical compliance causing minimum moment of inertia to be critical regardless of how flat the record is seems far-fetched. In my. case, I just ordered a 12" Reed 3P in cocobo from the importer and while talking to him, I was informed that he can't recall the last time he sold the 9" version of that arm and he frankly has no idea why Mr. Triukas even offers the 9" since the 10.5 and 12 far outperform it. I have no regrets going with the 12". For starters, a 9" will not accept an outer ring and I use one. But my question is; is Mikey as wrong as I think he is?
First of all who wants to be psychoanalyzed by a stranger/amateur? Not I. So if you want to discuss tone arms please refrain from characterizing me as you did. It’s lame.

I’m glad you retracted your misinformation about The Ypsilon phono preamp and the Ortofon PSU two of which I positively reviewed though neither is to my tastes. Doing so kind of shot to hell your psycho- thesis that I’m a conflicted enigma. I’m not.

My job is to describe what I hear not to tell people what to like.

Regarding 9” arms. I stated my OPINION based upon both theory and listening. Most tone arm manufacturers with whom I’ve spoken admit that they believe that considering all of the trade-offs, 9” arms are preferable for the reasons I cited in that review and that they manufacture longer arms because of customer demand not because they think they perform better dynamically in the groove.

That’s the position of Marc Gomez who has degrees in both materials sciences and mechanical engineering (one is a graduate degree). He now makes 12” arms to meet customer demand.
I am not an engineer but I listen well to those who are and I listen for myself of course. And in my opinion based on theory and listening I believe that 9” arms are preferable.

I go to audio shows around the world with 96/24 files of the same record recorded using a 9” SAT (or previously 9”
COBRA on the Continuum Caliburn that you ABSURDLY declared obsolete or outdated or whatever ridiculous and gratuitous assertion you made without any backup) and using a well designed tangential tracker. I use a symphonic recording that ends with a heavily modulated finale right where distortion maxes out ( Lofgren not Stevenson) and I ask people to say which is which. NO ONE has ever heard a distinctive difference in terms of distortion.

Tracking error ( with proper set-up and BTW set up errors are greatly magnified on longer arms) is an overstated issue IMO. The rest of your system will produce more distortion. Marc Gomez’s 9” arm proved that to me. BTW: I have owned a few tangential trackers (ET 1 and 2 and Rockport) so I’ve been there and again the trade offs were not worth it IMO. Most so called “tangential trackers” are anything but.

I never force my opinions on others. I offer them. Perhaps that’s why I’ve been successful at this for 30 years and have appreciative fans around the world.

And I’ve never been concerned about what others prefer. Or how many of what have sold. That’s hardly an argument.

Finally your gratuitous comment about me getting accommodation pricing, for me explains the tone and substance of much of your original post: resentment and perhaps jealousy. I can’t help you with that.

Finally to the guy who claimed I was wrong stating the Kuzma 9” is “compatible” with the LP 12: I suggest he look up the definition of compatible. Liking or not liking the combo is not the definition. That it fits the ‘table and is weight compatible makes it compatible not whether or not someone likes how the combination sounds.

That’s it from me for now.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
First of all who wants to be psychoanalyzed by a stranger/amateur? Not I. So if you want to discuss tone arms please refrain from characterizing me as you did. It’s lame.

I’m glad you retracted your misinformation about The Ypsilon phono preamp and the Ortofon PSU two of which I positively reviewed though neither is to my tastes. Doing so kind of shot to hell your psycho- thesis that I’m a conflicted enigma. I’m not.

My job is to describe what I hear not to tell people what to like.

Regarding 9” arms. I stated my OPINION based upon both theory and listening. Most tone arm manufacturers with whom I’ve spoken admit that they believe that considering all of the trade-offs, 9” arms are preferable for the reasons I cited in that review and that they manufacture longer arms because of customer demand not because they think they perform better dynamically in the groove.

That’s the position of Marc Gomez who has degrees in both materials sciences and mechanical engineering (one is a graduate degree). He now makes 12” arms to meet customer demand.
I am not an engineer but I listen well to those who are and I listen for myself of course. And in my opinion based on theory and listening I believe that 9” arms are preferable.

I go to audio shows around the world with 96/24 files of the same record recorded using a 9” SAT (or previously 9”
COBRA on the Continuum Caliburn that you ABSURDLY declared obsolete or outdated or whatever ridiculous and gratuitous assertion you made without any backup) and using a well designed tangential tracker. I use a symphonic recording that ends with a heavily modulated finale right where distortion maxes out ( Lofgren not Stevenson) and I ask people to say which is which. NO ONE has ever heard a distinctive difference in terms of distortion.

Tracking error ( with proper set-up and BTW set up errors are greatly magnified on longer arms) is an overstated issue IMO. The rest of your system will produce more distortion. Marc Gomez’s 9” arm proved that to me. BTW: I have owned a few tangential trackers (ET 1 and 2 and Rockport) so I’ve been there and again the trade offs were not worth it IMO. Most so called “tangential trackers” are anything but.

I never force my opinions on others. I offer them. Perhaps that’s why I’ve been successful at this for 30 years and have appreciative fans around the world.

And I’ve never been concerned about what others prefer. Or how many of what have sold. That’s hardly an argument.

Finally your gratuitous comment about me getting accommodation pricing, for me explains the tone and substance of much of your original post: resentment and perhaps jealousy. I can’t help you with that.

Finally to the guy who claimed I was wrong stating the Kuzma 9” is “compatible” with the LP 12: I suggest he look up the definition of compatible. Liking or not liking the combo is not the definition. That it fits the ‘table and is weight compatible makes it compatible not whether or not someone likes how the combination sounds.

That’s it from me for now.

Welcome to WBF and thanks for taking the time from Belgium to chime in

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

my experience exactly ...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

As to the aggressive anti-reviewer attitude, oh please!! When we have reviewers who think they are above everyone else...can we say All hail King Peter; then what the heck!:eek:

High End reviewing is a game, and taking the occasional potshot and broadside is part of the game.

If somebody wants to engage in “reviewer worship” and abdicate their own sensibilities and intellect, that is their privilege.

However, remember that in order to be valid, all information needs to be “falsifiable”, and all of the major critics at one time or another wind up being frivolous, whimsical, silly or even manipulative because they are humans, not oracles. They should be ready to accept the observations as such.

I have minimal respect for the hobby of audio reviewing, and it is a hobby as there are no professional reviewers. Only in audio reviewing, do reviewers refuse to review products in a double blind fashion. Can you imagine if there was no blind testing at the Paris or New York wine tasting events in the 1970's? There's no way Californian wines would have come out on top.

I disagree with these sentiments. I consider the senior reviewers and writers at Stereophile, The Absolute Sound, some of the British and other countries' magazines (I am not familiar with them, but I mean people like Ken Kessler) to be professional reviewers. I think the writings and opinions of such people deserve respect and deserve a presumption of knowledge, experience, correct subjective evaluations, integrity and deference.

I also think that some of these presumptions are rebuttable. In my personal view the ethical problems of "long-term loans" make some of these presumptions rebuttable for me personally. Michael Fremer buys his major equipment components.

I think that professional reviewers should hold the view that their writings and opinions deserve to be held in higher esteem than the writings and opinions of the walking public -- just as would be the case in any professional endeavor. I might not agree with a professional's pronouncement but I certainly accord it greater weight and deference than the opinion of some random person.

I think a political science professor [fill in any professional in any field] who has devoted his or her entire life to the study of some narrow subject deserves greater deference and respect than the opinion of a member of the walking public who writes a letter to the editor. I think this concept of deference and respect applies to professional high-end audio reviewers as well.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Michael, welcome to WBF! Thank you for participating on this thread! :)

We are honored to have you here!

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
"I think the writings and opinions of such people deserve respect and deserve a presumption of knowledge, experience, correct subjective evaluations, integrity and deference.
"

Sure, but it is loosey-goosey expertise imbedded in heavy marketing forces. Do you really think that if the marketing forces weren't there, the nature of the discourse would not change almost entirely?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
+1!

And also many other reviewers I enjoy reading. Unfortunately the original post of this thread indirectly posted the opinion of another person (Michael Fremer) , without properly quoting him or posting an accessible link to his opinion. As could be foreseen, this thread evolved ignoring the facts corroborating the opinion with posts such as ( I haven't read the article (...) , I don't know the article OP is referring to (...) and now includes a unacceptable attack on Michael Fremer.

I have complained several times on the aggressive anti-reviewer attitude and posts about reviewers in this forum, as IMHO this unfriendly attitude only drives away reviewers and members from WBF. Perhaps we can re-think this subject.

+1

We are a scary bunch @ times, with no direction home.
I want to see the best here, the best people in audio music reproduction, the best audio writers, reviewers, designers, artists, musicians, scientists, mathematicians, the smartest people on the planet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I have minimal respect for the hobby of audio reviewing, and it is a hobby as there are no professional reviewers. Only in audio reviewing, do reviewers refuse to review products in a double blind fashion. Can you imagine if there was no blind testing at the Paris or New York wine tasting events in the 1970's? There's no way Californian wines would have come out on top.

Good point, comparison is good for the equilibrium, the brain, the pursuit of healthy happiness.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
Sure, but it is loosey-goosey expertise imbedded in heavy marketing forces. Do you really think that if the marketing forces weren't there, the nature of the discourse would not change almost entirely?

I do not think the expertise is loosey-goosey; the expertise is still there. But I believe that the reviewing/writing philosophy of The Absolute Sound has evolved since the early days of Harry Pearson to a reviewing/writing philosophy today which is imbued with more commercial sensitivities.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I think being a reviewer is a thankless job. I commend those that have the patience to put their observations/experiences with various audio equipment into words for all to read.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
argh, it means the music retains its "soul" without undue influence.

how do you know what you are listening to is devoid of coloration and is exactly as the musician's intended ? To be sure, you would have to have been present during the recording session. One man's accuracy is another's coloration...;)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I do not think the expertise is loosey-goosey; the expertise is still there. But I believe that the reviewing/writing philosophy of The Absolute Sound has evolved since the early days of Harry Pearson to a reviewing/writing philosophy today which is imbued with more commercial sensitivities.

Surely the magazine has evolved as you say. But have you read the last ten issues of TAS or are you just writing an opinion based on posts collected in audio forums and the free reviews and articles in the TAS site? TAS has a large number of reviewers and its subscribers, such as me - I sometimes even get requests for printscreens of reviews from some WBF members ... - can see that the magazine sensitivity is much broader and open minded than we could grasp from net opinions. And yes, I only read about 5% of what I get, but usually also quick around all the issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing