Frank Sinatra and Bob Dylan

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Check Michael Fremer's review. He absolutely loved the record.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/shadows-night  another-side-bob-dylan

"Dylan sings this with not often heard vulnerability and sincerity. But that’s only a warm up to a version of “Autumn Leaves” that should silence skeptics. Dylan’s version of this seasonal metaphor is alone worth the price of admission and it more than makes up for the album’s sole misstep, a mildly C&W version of “Some Enchanted Evening” that starts side two (on vinyl) with if not a thud, then a mild clunk ."

Bonjour Andre, content de te lire. :cool:

* You van (can) listen to the first thirty seconds of each song from Bob's latest album simply by clicking on the above picture cover, and then by clicking that [>] (play) logo on top, @ the left of the album's title, under Bob Dylan.
The music is well recorded; nothing surprising here as Bob only uses the best musicians and studio recording engineers. ...He can afford it.
As for Bob's emotional voice from an older gentleman; that too is present/evident.
As for personal taste; that, is up to each one of us. Me, I still prefer his older stuff, from the 60s, 70s ...mostly.

<<<>>> A guy's voice I always loved and still love to this day, is Van Morrison. ...As a person, in real life, I never met/frequented him, but my best friend Will (pro artist musician/painter), living just few hundred yards from me has, and he knows him personally/directly, and he also played music with him, and with the Chieftains. ...Back then. ...He's not in love with the man; let's put it simply.
But for me, Van Morrison is constant with his voice, during his entire amazing and solid/durable career...he has more albums than Bob, I believe.
? He's in my sig for a good reason. ... The Philosopher's Stone

Last edited:

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
>>A guy's voice I always loved and still love to this day, is Van Morrison.<<

I have a friend who was once a huge VM fan ... but that all changed after he "paid good money" to see moody incoherent 35 minute concert.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Greetings NorthStar.

Van Morrison is absolutely in my top echelon. I own his entire discography and gigs of live soundboard stuff.

I was extremely luck to see Van on numerous occasions and once it was a double bill with Mr. Dylan himself, right up front at the Felt Forum in New York.
Once of the truly most mind blowing musical experiences of my life.

The recent remasters of Moondance and several other titles really show how good digital can sound.

BTW, Dylan's Sinatra "tribute" was recorded to CD-R. Yes, CD-R.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
No one sings Dylan like Dylan. No one ever. In his prime his voice was pure rock and roll.

That said - his voice is shot. I couldn't make it through that performance.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I was extremely luck to see Van on numerous occasions and once it was a double bill with Mr. Dylan himself, right up front at the Felt Forum in New York.
Just once 66 still with Them, club up Creque Alley, St Thomas. Young an energetic, not long with this band, I felt. My first year in USN
The recent remasters of Moondance and several other titles really show how good digital can sound.
Agree a fine re-release

[/QUOTE]

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Just once 66 still with Them, club up Creque Alley, St Thomas. Young an energetic, not long with this band, I felt. My first year in USN

Agree a fine re-release
[/QUOTE]

That is just incredible. The ONLY way to impress me more is if you saw the famous jam with JIM Morrison..:D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH

That is just incredible. The ONLY way to impress me more is if you saw the famous jam with JIM Morrison..:D[/QUOTE]
Who is this Morrison fella ;)

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Does bring up an interesting side fact that the Them version of GLORIA was not the big hit.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Check Michael Fremer's review. He absolutely loved the record.

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/shadows-night  another-side-bob-dylan

"Dylan sings this with not often heard vulnerability and sincerity. But that’s only a warm up to a version of “Autumn Leaves” that should silence skeptics. Dylan’s version of this seasonal metaphor is alone worth the price of admission and it more than makes up for the album’s sole misstep, a mildly C&W version of “Some Enchanted Evening” that starts side two (on vinyl) with if not a thud, then a mild clunk ."

Well if Fremer says it's excellent then there's no disputing that claim....:eek:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mikey most likely got paid to write that review, by Bob, after he met him that evening. ;)

---

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Bonjour Andre, content de te lire. :cool:

* You van (can) listen to the first thirty seconds of each song from Bob's latest album simply by clicking on the above picture cover, and then by clicking that [>] (play) logo on top, @ the left of the album's title, under Bob Dylan.
The music is well recorded; nothing surprising here as Bob only uses the best musicians and studio recording engineers. ...He can afford it.
As for Bob's emotional voice from an older gentleman; that too is present/evident.
As for personal taste; that, is up to each one of us. Me, I still prefer his older stuff, from the 60s, 70s ...mostly.

<<<>>> A guy's voice I always loved and still love to this day, is Van Morrison. ...As a person, in real life, I never met/frequented him, but my best friend Will (pro artist musician/painter), living just few hundred yards from me has, and he knows him personally/directly, and he also played music with him, and with the Chieftains. ...Back then. ...He's not in love with the man; let's put it simply.
But for me, Van Morrison is constant with his voice, during his entire amazing and solid/durable career...he has more albums than Bob, I believe.
? He's in my sig for a good reason. ... The Philosopher's Stone

Van is a legendary grump, but probably the best singer of my generation. If you count all the concert bootlegs I seldom play, I'm sure I have more Van in my collection than any other artist. "Youth of 1,000 Summers" is playing right now.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing