Franco Serblin

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I recently bought a pair of Accordo's. I was intending to use my MasterSound PF100 monoblocks (120 watts of 845 tube power) and the company, in response to my email concerning the suitability of this amp for these speakers, thought it might be too powerful.

High Fidelity's review of the Accordo from 2012 quoted what Franco Serblin had to say about the optimal amplification for these speakers after reading the review:

"Post Script
After having written this review I received an email on the final, recommended amplification for the Accordo, which essentially confirms what I wrote above:

'Let me clarify some issues related to amplification for the Accordo. These speakers have been designed to be as transparent and dynamic as possible. In order to successfully achieve this objective I have used a unique woofer with a long-stroke diaphragm and low resistance in bass-reflex application, designed to offer the best impulse response. Although the Accordo can be driven by any amplifier, we recommend driving them with amplifiers with low output impedance and middle power output (40/70 W into 8 ? and 80/150 W into 4 ?). Too much power may result in too long woofer cone travel and consequently deterioration of signal quality.

If we use the Accordo with a tube amplifier or a solid-state MOSFET with high output impedance we may end up with not fully optimal bass control, and this may lead to uncontrolled cone travel. Needless to say that tube amps are generally not too good in this respect. I use the Einstein integrated amplifier, nice sounding, but with not such good bass as tube amps.' "

What do you think of this opinion? Is my tube amp too powerful for these speakers? I am driving them tonight with some Pass Aleph 0 monoblocks which put out around 75 watts of Class A power, which appear to be more accord with Franco's recommendations. Both amps sound very good to me.

For those of you with Accordo's, which amps do you enjoy the most?
Did you ever settle on amps for your Accordo's? I just bought a pair and take delivery in about a week.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I find FS likes Class A 40-70watts as stated in the thread.
I remembered in a review I read many years ago, Franco Serblin himself was using a Berning mid-powered amp with his SF Strads. So I looked it up and found it:

"...Sound with no strings attached
When I visited the Sonus Faber factory, in Arcugnano, Italy, last winter, I spent an hour listening to a pair of Stradivaris in Franco Serblin's listening room while he conducted some business with Sumiko's John Hunter. The room was significantly larger than mine and far more reflective, but the speakers stood in free space far from any wall. Hooked up to them were an Accuphase SACD player and a David Berning ZH270 output-transformerless tubed power amp with two inputs and a volume control. The Strads are rated at 92dB efficiency, so a 70Wpc amp should have had no trouble driving them. It did so with ease...."

Harris4crna

Sep 27, 2023
Washington DC
I remembered in a review I read many years ago, Franco Serblin himself was using a Berning mid-powered amp with his SF Strads. So I looked it up and found it:

"...Sound with no strings attached
When I visited the Sonus Faber factory, in Arcugnano, Italy, last winter, I spent an hour listening to a pair of Stradivaris in Franco Serblin's listening room while he conducted some business with Sumiko's John Hunter. The room was significantly larger than mine and far more reflective, but the speakers stood in free space far from any wall. Hooked up to them were an Accuphase SACD player and a David Berning ZH270 output-transformerless tubed power amp with two inputs and a volume control. The Strads are rated at 92dB efficiency, so a 70Wpc amp should have had no trouble driving them. It did so with ease...."
My experience, they do sound good with tubes for sure. I run both a Class A Accuphase A-70 and for variety a Synthesis A40 and both make them sing. Previously I trialed a A/B and class D and it did not sound good at all. The speakers are efficient, but need a little extra ummph in the bass. Thus my experience a mid power class A has worked very well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My experience, they do sound good with tubes for sure. I run both a Class A Accuphase A-70 and for variety a Synthesis A40 and both make them sing. Previously I trialed a A/B and class D and it did not sound good at all. The speakers are efficient, but need a little extra ummph in the bass. Thus my experience a mid power class A has worked very well.
I totally agree...I originally had the CJ MV60 (great mid-powered tube amp particularly for the money)...and it was driving the Guarneris. Once the move was made to go for the Strads...the Gryphon Antileon 100 watt pure Class A and doubling all the way down to 0.5ohms and doubling down to 0.5ohms peak power...the Strads sat up and took notice. The darkness was perhaps not to all tastes given the Strad's own voicing, but I enjoyed it.

Harris4crna

Sep 27, 2023
Washington DC
I totally agree...I originally had the CJ MV60 (great mid-powered tube amp particularly for the money)...and it was driving the Guarneris. Once the move was made to go for the Strads...the Gryphon Antileon 100 watt pure Class A and doubling all the way down to 0.5ohms and doubling down to 0.5ohms peak power...the Strads sat up and took notice. The darkness was perhaps not to all tastes given the Strad's own voicing, but I enjoyed it.
Ironically, I auditioned the Strads while living in Italy. The owner of the shop asked if I would like to audition the Ktemas. I said, sure. Honestly, they both sounded great. Not surprised, I speculate they both are cut from the same cloth. I went with the Ktemas due to thier fit and form function benefit since I move so often.

Agree, both need that amp that can hunker down to a lower ohm load to open them up. People often mistaken the efficiency rating, but forsake the needed current at a low listening level. Old thread, but wanted to contribute based on my experience with FS speakers. Love them

Superchunk

Feb 19, 2023
The accordo were some.of the nicest speakers I've ever heard. I ended up passing on them really just because of bass and I didn't feel like going for subs. The essence were a bit too expensive for me, and I decided the ktema would be my end game but I would have to import from Europe to afford them, they are $50k in Canada and that's out of my league I'm afraid.

I've never been so emotionally engaged so easily and so quickly as I was with the accordo. Crap now you've got me thinking of them again...

Harris4crna

Sep 27, 2023
Washington DC
The accordo were some.of the nicest speakers I've ever heard. I ended up passing on them really just because of bass and I didn't feel like going for subs. The essence were a bit too expensive for me, and I decided the ktema would be my end game but I would have to import from Europe to afford them, they are $50k in Canada and that's out of my league I'm afraid.

I've never been so emotionally engaged so easily and so quickly as I was with the accordo. Crap now you've got me thinking of them again...
Haha, sorry about that. Yes, I bought mine in Italy. I believe I paid 20KUSD plus I traded in my Cremona Ms. This is the dealer who I went with in Italy: https://www.audioplushiend.it/

I concur with you. I went back and forth in whether to purchase the Accordos or another book shelf speaker for my second system. I too, felt the Accordos were lacking bass. So, I went with the Dali Epicon 2 speakers for my second system. Also, since I already owned the Ktemas, I felt I wanted some variety. I will say after 10 years of owning the Ktemas I never get tired of them. I listen to them everyday for music, TV and playing games. Although, in beginning this was not the case, and I wondered why I bought them. This was because I drove them with the wrong equipment. It was not until I purchased a mid power Class A amp when I realized how special these speakers were.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superchunk

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I received my Accordo Essence speakers about 6 weeks ago. They were the first step in a major system change. I heard them at my local dealer with a Soulution Amp and Pre. The sound was amazing. I fell in love. I've been spending the past couple of months selling off old gear and buying new gear. Boxes coming and going. Here are the changes so far:
Audio Physic Virgo 25 to Franco Serblin Accordo Essence
Bel Canto Ref 600M monoblocks to Aavik P300 Amp
No pre to Aavik C150 pre with Dac and Phono modules, (being shipped)
Nordost Valhalla 1 speaker cables to Ansuz Speakz C2

I'm keeping, for the moment, a Lumin U1 (not mini), and my Gold Note DS 1000MKii Deluxe Dac with built in pre.
Since arriving I've only listened to the Accordo's hooked up to a Yamaha RX A3050 receiver, but i can already tell that the Accordo's have better bass than the Virgo's. I'm hoping to give them a try tomorrow with the Aavik P300. It should be interesting, the P300 is 300W of pure class A.

Reactions: Harris4crna

Superchunk

Feb 19, 2023
Haha, sorry about that. Yes, I bought mine in Italy. I believe I paid 20KUSD plus I traded in my Cremona Ms. This is the dealer who I went with in Italy: https://www.audioplushiend.it/

I concur with you. I went back and forth in whether to purchase the Accordos or another book shelf speaker for my second system. I too, felt the Accordos were lacking bass. So, I went with the Dali Epicon 2 speakers for my second system. Also, since I already owned the Ktemas, I felt I wanted some variety. I will say after 10 years of owning the Ktemas I never get tired of them. I listen to them everyday for music, TV and playing games. Although, in beginning this was not the case, and I wondered why I bought them. This was because I drove them with the wrong equipment. It was not until I purchased a mid power Class A amp when I realized how special these speakers were.
I do think the ktema will remain my end game and I think i will fly to Italy, spend a few weeks, find a used pair a t a good price and send them back home. I almost got some for around $10kusd used so if I find a deal like that...

The other big part of not getting the accordo was thinking I would then need to change my amp as well. I heard them with t+a which isn't really my style but they sounded great.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing