Follow-up to amirms 3D Thread-3D Simulation

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- ...Regarding flat panels.

* There aren't 'plasma' front projectors. ;)

I'm going to add this:

Regarding the very best flat plasma HDTVs.

--> The Pioner Elite Kuros are the very best, but they don't make them any longer, and none was doing 3D.
And why they are, and still are the very best?
Because in the Kuros the optical filter was directly bonded to the plasma elements instead of the display's glass, which is the way every other plasma display was (is) made.
That innovation required additional engineering time to perfect, which made them (Kuro) more expensive to manufacture than other plasmas (Panasonic, Samsung, LG, ...). The engineers were unable to devise cost-saving measures that woudn't compromise performance. Panasonic, Samsung, ... just doesn't want to do it at a cost that's not sustainable.
Panasonic latest VT50 series now comes awfully close to what Pioneer achieved with the Kuro. ...Plus with all the additional features of today of course (3D, streaming stuff, voice-operated commands, etc., etc., etc.).

The closest, and even better than Pioneer Kuro plasmas, is the Sharp Elite LED LCD, which has more of the late-generation Kuro DNA in its picture than any display we've seen to date.
The only aspect where the Sharp Elite lost the battle, is in its viewing angle.
In every other respect, including black level and color, the Sharp Elite is equal or better than the Kuro.
And the Sharp Elite LED LCD HDTV throws just about the very best 3D than any other flat panels.
But the 60" size model will cost you about $5,000 (street).
The same size plasma models from top of the line Panasonic and Samsung are much more affordable, and even more so at street prices. And the overall picture quality difference is not by much.
But for best 3D picture on a flat panel display, LED LCD is ahead of plasmas, brightness wise.
And again for 3D, plasma is king on viewing angles, smoother moving action scenes, and full high resolution for both eyes (1080p for Left eye, and 1080p for Right eye), which doesn't create issues if you are sitting closer to the screen, as compared to LED LCD displays when watching 3D movies.

We all knew that, but I just wanted to reaffirm it that's all.

One last thing, and rarely mentioned; if you mount your flat panel on your wall, and it is higher than the level of your eyesight (like above your fireplace for example), a LED LCD will lost some picture quality (viewing angles work both in the horizontal and vertical planes).
Best is to use an angled mount so it is direct with your eyesight.
With plasma, there is no real need; she can lay flat against the wall, just like a real painting in your home.

And BTW, Sony OLEDs (large flat panels) are comin'. :b
So is 4K, and even upgraded Blu-ray movies with 4K scanning; by Sony (Columbia studios) also. ...Like Ultra Superbit Blu-rays. ...But those won't be remastered movies, simply upgraded pictures by adding more video bits for more and accurate colors, plus added definition.
4K HDTVs will come handy. ...Be prepared to upgrade once more. ...Both your hardware, and your software. :b

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
HI Bob,
Now that is funny, your experience (or lack of) with 3D simulation. You see, when I auditioned my Panasonic Viera I did not know the feature was there nor did the sales person mention it. He was obviously much too interested in showing me Avatar. It worked. He made the sale.

It was not until 3 days after the TV was installed that I discovered the 3D simulation feature while I was scanning the setup screens. It took another week to actually try it. Now, after about two weeks of watching many movies with 3D simulation, I decided that other folks might be ignoring what seemed to me to be a very valuable feature. That's when I decided to start this thread.

Now that you have read this are you planning to give it a try? After all, all it takes is a few button pushes on the remote. If you do I'll be very interested in hearing your opinion. I'm not at all sure that all 3D simulations are equal from an engineering point of view. I can see many possible reasons why they might not be. Let us know since you are now officially on the 3D simulation review committee. :cool:

Sparky

HI Bob,
Why only one? The experience will not in any way neuter you. Try a few. Since you have not tried the simulation mode, you have no idea what to expect. After all, you owe nothing to me. Only to yourself. Your conservatism is puzzling.

Sparky

---- Hi Sparky,

Finally! I watched 'Ratatouille' on Blu-ray, with the 2D-to-3D conversion feature from my plasma HDTV. :b
...After having that feature available from my HDTV for close to two years now (wasn't really ever interested).
- You convinced me though, to give it a try, to experiment; and I'm all in when someone put it like the way you did.

-- 22755_medium.jpg

-> This wasn't like the real 3D stuff, but it was fun nonetheless; better than those mickey mouse glasses with the red and blue plastic lenticular lenses.
You don't have two 1080p images here though; only one divided by two, so the picture resolution is much inferior.
But it seems that your eyes don't suffer as much; I noticed that right away.

In general it was quite subtle (no pop-up effects at all), with some very smooth/light depth perspective.
It's ok, was fun to experiment, but I don't think, with all the real 3D Blu-rays I already have (over hundred), that I want to experiment too far. I will probably try few more over the course of my life; but later on, by then, holographic moving pictures (HMP), with 8K, 96fps, will be the new rage. :D

Oh, and be sure to try the simulation with live TV programs. It has something to offer there too.

Sparky

---- No TV (Cable Box, Satellite, etc.) on my HDTV; just Blu-rays, strictly (and the odd DVD; two or three per year now).

* Don't pay attention to the 'attached image' below; it was a simple "link typo error". :b

Cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• 49581_medium.jpg
    49581_medium.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 23

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing