Houston , Texas - USA
Hi

my current system:

wireworld platinum usb cable
Pass labs X350.5
Pass labs Xp10 pre
Oppo BDP-105 using it as DAC
PC computer

can you recommend on few models i should demo?
should i plug direct to the Amp?

Thanks

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice system! What is your budget. I suppose you could always venture towards the top of the heap and listen to the new Trinity DAC which has received incredibly strong feedback from some pretty seasoned audiophiles including Elberoth and Audiocrack, as well as Lincoln Cheng who is the Editor of a major Asian Hifi magazine, AudioTechnique.

Are you interested in: hi-res, DSD? presumably so, but your priorities and budget might help. otherwise, its always fun to spend someone else's money and just recommend the apparent cream of the expensive crop!

Hi

my current system:

wireworld platinum usb cable
Pass labs X350.5
Pass labs Xp10 pre
Oppo BDP-105 using it as DAC
PC computer

can you recommend on few models i should demo?
should i plug direct to the Amp?

Thanks

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Nice system! What is your budget. I suppose you could always venture towards the top of the heap and listen to the new Trinity DAC which has received incredibly strong feedback from some pretty seasoned audiophiles including Elberoth and Audiocrack, as well as Lincoln Cheng who is the Editor of a major Asian Hifi magazine, AudioTechnique.

Are you interested in: hi-res, DSD? presumably so, but your priorities and budget might help. otherwise, its always fun to spend someone else's money and just recommend the apparent cream of the expensive crop!

most of the time i prefer to buy used , less then one year old in great condition
30-50% less then MSRP price.
most of the time i'm play music from my PC (maybe i should get Apple computer?)
i want DAC that sound great with regular PCM files even with MP3 , not only with Hi-res , DSD
Dynamic and not bright (Focal Utopia sound bad with bright component)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
most of the time i prefer to buy used , less then one year old in great condition
30-50% less then MSRP price.
most of the time i'm play music from my PC (maybe i should get Apple computer?)
i want DAC that sound great with regular PCM files even with MP3 , not only with Hi-res , DSD
Dynamic and not bright (Focal Utopia sound bad with bright component)

Various options a number of which have been recommended but which I've not heard...I have not really reviewed digital myself personally in a long time, so this is just based on reading/some historical auditions:

Sub $5K retail
- CJ DAC
- Lampizator
-

Expensive ($5K-10K+ retail)
- Merdian 808i.3
- TotalDAC
- MSB Analog DAC
- ARC DAC 8

Top Expensive ($25K+)
- Light Harmonic Dual DAC
- Trinity DAC
- DCS Vivaldi
- MSB Platinum w/ Power base

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've been running the TechDAS D7i (i version will take the digital output from an iOS device via a USB port in front). It is very smooth with a nice touch of warmth. Goes for about 7k here. US distributor is Bob Graham. I don't know for sure what the US MSRP is. They differ from country to country. The D7 and D7i Supremes are out with beefier power supplies and vibration control added. Costs a few hundred dollars more.

It does PCM up to 24/192 and DSD.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Various options a number of which have been recommended but which I've not heard...I have not really reviewed digital myself personally in a long time, so this is just based on reading/some historical auditions:

Sub $5K retail
- CJ DAC
- Lampizator
-

- Merdian 808i.3
- TotalDAC
- MSB Analog DAC
- ARC DAC 8

Top Expensive ($25K+)
- Trinity DAC
- DCS Vivaldi

Those are some great answers. I'd also include the Playback Designs. They do any PCM rate up to 384k and also DSD64 and 128fs. Since they don't use an off the shelf chip, Andreas can just upgrade by writing another algorithm.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Those are some great answers. I'd also include the Playback Designs. They do any PCM rate up to 384k and also DSD64 and 128fs. Since they don't use an off the shelf chip, Andreas can just upgrade by writing another algorithm.

what about Tube based DAC?
Utopia like Tube usually (PRE or AMP)
for example aesthetix Pandora and Romulus

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Sub $5K retail
- CJ DAC
- Lampizator
-

- Merdian 808i.3
- TotalDAC
- MSB Analog DAC
- ARC DAC 8

Top Expensive ($25K+)
- Trinity DAC
- DCS Vivaldi

Loyd,

You should include the Audio Research CD9 in your list - mine is now around 190 hours burn-in (usually not an happy moment of ARC tube products) but already won the right to became a resident. Basically the CD9 is an improved DAC8 with the tube power supply and tube analog stage of the CD8. Besides is spins CDs using a Philips CDMPro2 LF! :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Loyd,

You should include the Audio Research CD9 in your list - mine is now around 190 hours burn-in (usually not an happy moment of ARC tube products) but already won the right to became a resident. Basically the CD9 is an improved DAC8 with the tube power supply and tube analog stage of the CD8. Besides is spins CDs using a Philips CDMPro2 LF! :)

Good to know! Congrats...sounds quite new....190 hours is not a long time. Enjoy!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I just auditioned the Lampizator. It's a winner in my book!

Which level ? I'm eagier to try one in my system (I should add at last, as I know ?ukasz, and should have already done it earlier !).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Good to know! Congrats...sounds quite new....190 hours is not a long time. Enjoy!

Beeing an ARC veteran, Francesco probably knows that the goodies will come after 600+ h :)

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Which level ? I'm eagier to try one in my system (I should add at last, as I know ?ukasz, and should have already done it earlier !).

I don't know anything about level. I was told it was a Lampizator DSD

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Beeing an ARC veteran, Francesco probably knows that the goodies will come after 600+ h :)

Yes, I know it. ;) The CD9 is now entering 400 hours of continuous playback and definitively it is clearly ameliorating now - bass is clearly gaining impact and grip. Ten days ago, around Christmas, I was a little disappointed - it seemed "lazy". As I am still keeping the Metronome C2A DAC in my room, I am using it for comparison. This way I can be sure it is not me who is getting used to the sound of the new player.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't know anything about level. I was told it was a Lampizator DSD

Bruce,
How did it compare with the PB listening to DSD?

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

He had a DSD-only Dac in Level 4 case, with Soviet Caps. I have the same, but with Duelund caps, as well as a regulr Level 4 with PCM Its possible to bet BOTH in one box, if sinle ended. You can get both balanced in L5 and above, as DSD is an optional module. I like the conceptual purity of separate DSD and PCM boxes though!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing