First trials of active horn speaker

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Nasality due to material with no consideration to throat size and cut off and profile Is ridiculous unless you want to pedal only wooden horns
I told you all of that was considered…what more does one have to say to you??

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Your lack of experience is shining through like the tone from a wooden horn. Or is it plastic? Either way like one where the driver and horn cut off is the same.

Is this the same technical understanding based on which you said the horning TT and American sound are similar design
You know nothing and purport to tell others that they lack experience…please show me examples of your last two or three horn speaker designs. Go crawl back under your rock…you sir are a troll.

Reactions: Audiohertz2

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You know nothing and purport to tell others that they lack experience…please show me examples of your last two or three horn speaker designs. Go crawl back under your rock…you sir are a troll.

then stop spreading falsehoods that vintage horns honk and materials cause honk. Vintage horns are metal or wood. You are not even consistent in your lies

• Sad
Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
nasality often occurs in driver horn combos where the driver is forced to operate outside it´s comfort range
horn material is not part of that equation
Horn material most certainly affects and Colors the sound. I am very clearly operating this horn/driver combo in its comfort zone. 1800 hz when the horn maintains its performance down to 800hz and the compression driver as well. Even at 1000hz it was fine. It could be inherent in the horn profile due to HOMs. Go look up the data on the 18 Sound XT1464 and Beyma CP755TI and you will see I am using them in an appropriate range.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
then stop spreading falsehoods that vintage horns honk and materials cause honk. Vintage horns are metal or wood. You are not even consistent in your lies
They do, not all but many. It has more to do with the horn design but materials play a role and you know this. Why do you think people are using the Klug WOODEN multi-cellular horns as a replacement for the old metal ones? They sound much smoother.

I have been telling no lies so there is no worries about consistency…your trolling, however, is very consistent…

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Horn material most certainly affects and Colors the sound. I am very clearly operating this horn/driver combo in its comfort zone. 1800 hz when the horn maintains its performance down to 800hz and the compression driver as well. Even at 1000hz it was fine. It could be inherent in the horn profile due to HOMs. Go look up the data on the 18 Sound XT1464 and Beyma CP755TI and you will see I am using them in an appropriate range.

even if that was right, then all of you have established is that 18 sound profiling has a problem. How do you know it won’t happen if they make that same horn with wood?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They do, not all but many. It has more to do with the horn design but materials play a role and you know this. Why do you think people are using the Klug WOODEN multi-cellular horns as a replacement for the old metal ones? They sound much smoother.

and the Vitavox metal horn sounds better than Klug wood horn which sounds better than Altec metal horn. On an Altec speaker and driver. But Vitavox metal horn is hardly available and klug horns easily are, inexpensive. Which, on this forum, I started publicising btw doubt you have heard them

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard plastic colouration from a plaster of Paris JMLC with the BMS driver. The driver had the plastic diaphragm. Stop blaming materials if you cannot isolate them. Also each material can be used to make a bad horn if it resonates or has a poor throat. Wood causes many colouration including deadening (the music not the resonance) and homogenisation

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
and the Vitavox metal horn sounds better than Klug wood horn which sounds better than Altec metal horn. On an Altec speaker and driver. But Vitavox metal horn is hardly available and klug horns easily are, inexpensive. Which, on this forum, I started publicising btw doubt you have heard them
I have heard Klug ALTECs from a guy in France, so you are wrong…again. The Vitavox is a completely different horn! You want to compare apples to oranges and then mix in other factors as well? No wonder you are lost and can’t follow a simple progression. You tell the effect of materials by using the SAME horn of two different materials…then it is clear that wood works better than undamped metal.
If you damp the metal or plastic horn (especially thin ones that will resonate) then you might take most of the issues…or not.
Why do you throw in something irrelevant like the Vitavox horn? It’s mostly wood I think anyway.

Look at Cessaro, they went from wood to some very hard composite because they claimed it made a huge improvement…I know Ralph from Cessaro and talked with him about it because I was curious. Wood has coloration of course but it is a nice consonant with music coloration. He wanted that gone for even more neutrality. He did not want the other coloration from metal or plastic

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard Klug ALTECs from a guy in France, so you are wrong…again. The Vitavox is a completely different horn! You want to compare apples to oranges and then mix in other factors as well?
The Vitavox 4 cell metal horn can be used with an Altec. That’s what is playing in my videos of Misho’s system. And compared it to the klug wood. I threw it in to show metal > wood > metal. Not about material

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I have heard plastic colouration from a plaster of Paris JMLC with the BMS driver. The driver had the plastic diaphragm. Stop blaming materials if you cannot isolate them. Also each material can be used to make a bad horn if it resonates or has a poor throat. Wood causes many colouration including deadening (the music not the resonance) and homogenisation
I never blamed anything…your attempts to “stick it to me” are getting absurd. I made a hypothesis that the material, but more precisely the thickness of the material COULD be the source of nasality. I further stated I would damp the horns (Das Gut Ohre suggested putting it in a sand damped box…clearly I am not alone in my thinking) to see IF it went away. If not, then it could be related to throat exit angles of the driver and horn…something I can’t test or fix. However, this combo has been successfully used by other DIYers, maybe they are less sensitive to the nasality.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Vitavox 4 cell metal horn can be used with an Altec. That’s what is playing in my videos of Misho’s system. And compared it to the klug wood
It’s a DIFFERENT horn design! We are talking about materials influence…never mind, you clearly don’t get how you are convoluting factors. It’s clear you don’t know how to form a hypothesis and test for falsification.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You tell the effect of materials by using the SAME horn of two different materials…then it is clear that wood works better than undamped metal.

This is exactly what I asked in a previous post. What is the process to come to conclusion about metal. I haven’t seen the above done for different drivers. Ideally you need to take a horn that has been voiced with composite horn material and sounds good, with wood. You then need to replace a wood horn that sounds good with composite. Then you will know

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
This is exactly what I asked in a previous post. What is the process to come to conclusion about metal. I haven’t seen the above done for different drivers. Ideally you need to take a horn that has been voiced with composite horn material and sounds good, with wood. You then need to replace a wood horn that sounds good with composite. Then you will know
No, if the wood horn sounds good..then I use it to listen to music.

Reactions: Argonaut

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
As far as materials go I reckon:

Metal has a history ( WE, Klangfilm etc )

Wood has a following ( easy to shape with hand tools etc not too resonant)

But various plastics tend to be dismissed as sounding ...err... Plastic. Not saying @morricab is doing that as he actually bought said plastic horns :)

Even for comp drivers ( phenolic sounds like ....err... Plastic )

Kinda funny.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
As far as materials go I reckon:

Metal has a history ( WE, Klangfilm etc )

Wood has a following ( easy to shape with hand tools etc not too resonant)

But various plastics tend to be dismissed as sounding ...err... Plastic. Not saying @morricab is doing that as he actually bought said plastic horns :)

Even for comp drivers ( phenolic sounds like ....err... Plastic )

Kinda funny.
Indeed. Even though Be is all the rage these days, I find that I really find the sound of good Ti diaphragm drivers to be excellent.

Reactions: Robh3606

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

“ The 16a was certainly the right candidate, but its metal resonating sound just doesn’t work for anyone who has grown accustomed to a big solid wood horn.”

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
So? the 16a was metal. The 12, 13,15 was wood. WE had both. And people preferred both, one, or the other. That’s the whole point. I have heard them all liked them all. Tim has his own preference. And that was one example of a metal horn, Altec and Vitavox are different, one better than the other. You should buy what Roy Gregory likes and just link to his reviews to justify

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Scott Naylor

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
Indeed. Even though Be is all the rage these days, I find that I really find the sound of good Ti diaphragm drivers to be excellent.

Hello

I have both coated/damped Ti and Be. I like both. It would require a driver change but the aquaplas coated JBL Ti diaphragms are really smooth and extended. JBL uses aquaplas on aluminum, magnesium, Beryllium and Titanium and it helps. You end up with a significantly cleaner CSD measurement. Just another option.

Glad you are having fun!

Rob :)

Reactions: morricab

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hello

I have both coated/damped Ti and Be. I like both. It would require a driver change but the aquaplas coated JBL Ti diaphragms are really smooth and extended. JBL uses aquaplas on aluminum, magnesium, Beryllium and Titanium and it helps. You end up with a significantly cleaner CSD measurement. Just another option.

Glad you are having fun!

Rob :)
What Beyma did was marry the Ti diaphragm with a Mylar surround to reduce breakup. The highs are quite pure and smooth as a result. Radian does the same with their Aluminum diaphragms.

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing