First High End Turntable

Direct Drive

Sep 16, 2020
East Anglia, UK
Grew up with a Garrard 301 and original SME 312 with Expert Stylus MC and didn't think of it as high end ironically.
First seen was was an L-07D in 1980.
First bought was an Aphalson Sonata with HR100s...beautiful titainium.
When I finally bought an L-07D (the image of it having plagued me) I realised UK high and Japanese, were somewhat different. It started my love of DD tt.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Mine was a VPI Scoutmaster which I picked up at the end of 2004 during a hifibuys sale. Kept it and modded it significantly (3D arm, HRX pulleys, ADS) but recently sold it as the Continuum came up.

oldvinyl

Jun 3, 2017
Specific Northwest - Seattle area
Over the past 50 years ...
A Panasonic turntable with associated receiver
Dual 1215 table with Shure V15 Type 3 cartridge (and a step up transformer that caused hum)

I guess "high end" started after the above

Rega Planar 3 with Benz MC Gold, Glider
Rega Planar 9 with Benz LP
Avid Acutus with Benz LP(S), then Clearaudio Goldfinger
Clearaudio Master Innovation with TT1-MI arm and Clearaudio Goldfinger (V2)

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
My first Hi-End turntable was Transrotor classic gold with SME V tonearm. The ones before that worth mentioning were Thorens TD160B-SME III and TD124 MkII-Ortofon RS212.

IMG_0541.JPG IMG_3444.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
My first turntable was a Michell Gyro SE.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230823_141624_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230823_141624_Instagram.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: keithc

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
AR Turntable (high end?) with a Rabco arm. But was equiped with Win strain gauge startling improvement. Made my dog jump up and he had listened many hours to my Shure.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
My first was Mitchell Prisma in 1977 with Audiocraft toneamr,Oracle in 1979 and Goldmund Studio with Zeta arm in 1981/82

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
A trip down memory lane ! Great thread.

My first descent turntable was a Dual 1219 with a Shure M91 ED cartridge if memory serves me correctly. High end no but it go me kickstarted and into listening . It was a significant step up from my dad's console, lol!

Around that time in the early 70' I ended up working part time for an audio retailer and my exposure to better turntables increased exponentially. I got to listen to many turntables and tonearm new and used, many of them in my home system. So I experienced tables like the Thorens TD 160, the Transcriptor with a vestigial arm, Empire, AR.....amongst others. It was an excellent learning experience.

At home I briefly dabbled with Dual's first direct drive, 701?, but didn't find it to my liking. I was realizing that the arm and cartridge were really import and felt the need to move to a table that would accommodate more flexibility. I auditioned a Technics SP 10 and a Thorens TD 125 Mk2 both with SME 3009 / Shure V15 iii and found the Thorens a better fit for my system at that point. I think you could say that my Thorens was my first long term table and it provided me with years of entertainment and cartridge swapping.

The audiophile bug hit again and I purchased one of the very first Oracles. It was then that I realized more than ever that the table itself plays a very important role in the resulting sound. I had lots of fun arm and cartridge swapping before swinging back to a more stable VPI HW 19. The move to this particular table was arm related as I wanted to try the air bearing Eminent Technology. Career, family and a basic satisfaction kept me happy with this setup for quite sometime. A major flood and the loss of a considerable number of components which included my turntable meant more changes.

The next table was a VPI Classic 1 with JMW arm. In hindsight I probably should have been more thoughtful in my selection but it provided me with good sound and allowed some cartridge swapping. No real magic though. The arm seemed quite fussy and it was only when I got it " professionally " set up that I truly enjoyed it.

So the journey continues. My system has evolved and I felt that my analogue needed to move up a notch. I listen a lot to both my system and live music so it's part of my life. Breaking the bank on audio equipment is just not me so my approach has always been to try to find the sweet spot of audio offerings. My current table is a BrinkMann Bardot with 10 arm and Hana Umami. I will eventually upgrade the arm but it sounds quite good so I am not in a hurry.

Reactions: oldvinyl

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Music Hall 2.0 about 13 years ago.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
My first was a Dais, made by Tom Fletcher and was a suspended design, sounded superb with a sumiko arm and koetsu rosewood signature. The stage width was larger than my late fathers Oracle premiere.
Great memories!

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
My first "high end" for me, turntable was/is the Linn LP12. It's been modified with a huge Swiss DC motor and DC power supply and new top plate and the Brazilian Rosewood Plinth. Using the Naim ARO tonearm with Benz Ruby Zebra Wood ZH S-Class moving coil cartridge.

It's given me many years of great musical enjoyment and at the end of the day, that's all I can ask for ;)

fullsizeoutput_5f8c.jpeg

This is a picture of my upgraded Swiss DC motor (pictured on the bottom of the much smaller original) It keeps wonderful time, sustained piano sounds sublime :)

1693095194030.png

Best wishes to all,
Don

Last edited:

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Good morning everyone, I have owned many turntables in my life but the one that has remained in my heart is the Goldmund Studio coupled with the Triplanar arm, with its romantic hump the mid-bass offered truly exceptional live performances.

Attachments

• IMG_0130.jpeg
    IMG_0130.jpeg
    298.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0127.jpeg
    IMG_0127.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: AudioHR

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
My first "serious" TT was a Micro Seiki, followed by a Thorens TD 160-SME 2009 // This was followed by the ubiquitous Linn LP12 - Ittok - VdHull MC2.

The Linn suspension was a dog to set, so I moved to a Pink Triangle PT2 / Alphason100; finally ended with a Simon Yorke /Pluto 5 arm.

SONDEKNZ

Mar 2, 2021
In the 1980s - like so many here - I started my first vinyl journey with a REGA PLANAR 3 - upgraded to the RB300 tonearm with an Audio Technica AT32E II MC cartridge. It all sounded great - but not perfect.

Compact Discs hit the market and I traded it all, on chasing the silver disc - and "perfect sound forever."

In the mid-1990s, I traded my three box MERIDIAN 500 SERIES CD front-end for a SONY XA7ES, which I thought sounded perfect, until...

I was asked to help at a garage sale, to sell some old bits and pieces. I spotted an old radiogram in the corner and some old Hawaiian LP records. I thought a bit of music ambiance would help loosen the purse strings around me.

Within seconds of dropping that crappy old cartridge into that filthy old groove, I heard what I had been missing for more than a decade.

...It sounded incredible! o_O

A few weeks later, I picked-up a LINN LP12 / ITTOK for a song - absolutely nobody wanted them - and have been modifying it ever since.

Well, the ITTOK LVII has been replaced - and the old LP12 has been DC-powered for 20-years and doesn't even have springs anymore! But it's sounding pretty good! ;)

Last edited:

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Starting in 1969 (senior year in high school):

AR-XA with Grado FTR, later Decca 4RC
Rabco ST-4 with Decca 4RC, ADC XLM, Decca V, V-15 III
TD-124 with JH Formula 4 arm
Rega Planar 3 with Grace 707
VPI 19 Mk 3 with ET-II, later JMW-10
TD-124 with Moerch DP-6
Galibier Gavia with DP-6, later Triplanar VII and Siggwan arms

That takes things from 1969 to 2023. It’s been quite a ride!

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
During college years, late 1960s and early 1970s, I ran a Elac Miracord 50H with a Stanton 681EE cartridge. This was followed by an AR table with a Shure V15 type V cartridge in the late 70s and early 80s. Then came a VPI HW 19 with Eminent Technology II tone arm with a Shinon Red Boron cartridge as well as others. I kept the VPI rig for thirty four years until I replaced it with a Clearaudio Performance DC Wood table with Tracer arm and Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge in 2021. I think the Clearaudio Performance DC Wood is a great table for the price and is often underestimated.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Mine was a VPI Scoutmaster which I picked up at the end of 2004 during a hifibuys sale. Kept it and modded it significantly (3D arm, HRX pulleys, ADS) but recently sold it as the Continuum came up.
Which Hifibuys? I worked at the first store in Muncie, IN during my college days at Ball State.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Which Hifibuys? I worked at the first store in Muncie, IN during my college days at Ball State.

The one now based in Buckhead/Atlanta.

PierreB

Jan 15, 2011
Rimouski, Quebec
The first one was a Rega Planar 3 with a Mayware Formula IV and a Shure V15 Type 3 (around 1983). The second one was a Rega P3-24 with a RB-303 and an Exact cartridge. And my current one is a , you guest it, Rega Planar 8 with the RB-880 and an Ania Pro.

IMG_4411.jpeg

Reactions: Sonicman

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing