Favourite compilation CD for classical and your recommendation for others

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
When I see a poster on various forums asking for guidance in purchasing their 1st classical album, I find it interesting that what is never suggested are the compilation CDs.

For me compilation can be one of the best ways to hear classical as listening to the whole opera/ballet/symphony can be quite an intense or disciplined process, furthermore I find we all have favourite passages that may total 20mins in these where we may be happy to not listen to the rest.

With that in mind, what is your favourite compilation CD and recommentation.
To start.
Mine is from The Originals Legendary Recordings of Duetsche Grammophon;
Tschaikovsky: Ballet Suites / Rostropovich, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Cat no 449726-2.

A great way to be introduced to Tschaikovsky, where it is possible to notice how his music has influenced some modern film OST.

So please put forward your own recommendation, as there are many great classical compilations out there, and is possibly the best way for others who want to dip their toe into classical.

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Funny...i have not bought a classical compilation in over 20 years...because i have pretty much learned over time (probably from compilations) what i enjoyed. i also really enjoy owning the Penguin Guide and trying new Rosettes from their Recommendations.

In any event, i would have suggested a Baroque compilation. I find most people will enjoy Vivaldi, Bach, Handel, Albioni, Geminiani, Telemann, Bach's 2 sons (CPE & ___?)...it is quick tempo'd, not too esoteric by classical standards, and "understandable" to people who may not have yet had their ears/minds adjusted to all the various eras of classical.

I also think many people enjoy high quality audio even if they could not ostensibly tell the difference in an A/B. So Hyperion and similar labels known for good recordings is a nice idea.

In fact, now that i think about it...Reference REcordings does a very nice Baroque compilation.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Oh dear :)
Seems most are like you Lloyd and there was me thinking classical compilations were still extensively used by those who enjoy classical (still play full length opera's-ballets-symphonies-etc as well), doh :)
I am in a crowd of 1... so packed :)

Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Orb,

i'll tell you why i at least tend not to use them...i listen to music as fits my state of mind...which tends to change during the course of the day...but not every 3 minutes. So i get a compilation, i usually get frustrated while i work because the compilation keeps changing the mood, if you will. if i want to hear Bach harpischord, then i dont want to hear Beethoven's 9th all of a sudden. Plus, if i hear the first movement of the 9th...i am not sure i want to hear Missa Solemnis next before finishing the 9th. But that's just me.

i tend to get up 1x/hour and change the CD...call me old fashioned. And over the course of an 8-hour Saturday while i am working, i tend to move the music from harpsichord (Bach) to Quartets, to Concertos, to chill-out to hip hop to House...The next morning to blues, to jazz, to Clapton, etc.

The only compilations i get are for modern hip hop/rap, etc...mixes, if you will. Because i tend to find they keep the moood pretty well if they are good mixes.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yes that is a good point.
But there are compilations of the same composer/conductor/musician that are tastefully put together.
The one I mentioned flows nicely and has enough of each ballet to make it enjoyable without feeling like it is flicking, but you are right I have other compilations of Adagios and that does feel more like skipping albeit within the same structure of music, which still helps.

So lonely in the Classical compilation room here :)
Cheers
Orb

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
;)!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing