Eye Candy

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Thanks! No,it's not from J-corder. This is one I came across in Europe, and which has been completely refurbished by a knowledgeable technician. In fact, all the units shown have had a complete rebuild, down to the turntable at the end. I have a Studer A80 being worked on now, which I'll use for playback of 2-track 15ips.
Here's a link to the work that was done on the turntable. I found the arm while surfing the net, it was in the Philippines. :)

http://www.theanalogdept.com/s_leikanger.htm:p

(Barely visible, on top of the 1506, is my analogue remote for the unit, which I found on eBay-Germany).

Studer A80? Color me jealous :p

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
The Versa 1.0 was a stunner and sounded even better. i bought Garth Leerer's 1.0 when he was a mgr at music by the sea eons ago and had it for several years as my reference. the ones pictured arent mine but radom pics off the net. The latest bergmann 'table copies many of the VD design elements. in the intervening years, imo no one has come out with a significantly better mouse trap than the VD 1.0 & 2.0.

Attachments

• vd 2..jpg
    vd 2..jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 2,313
  • vd 1..jpg
    vd 1..jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,724

JCR33

Jan 13, 2012
Which SPJ table are you using? Are you also using Judy's Benz cartridge too?

Hi Myles,

I am using this one, SPJ C.S. Centoventi and with vDH Colibri Platinum, Judy developed a special aluminum wand specifically for this cartridge.

JCR33

Jan 13, 2012
The Versa 1.0 was a stunner and sounded even better. i bought Garth Leerer's 1.0 when he was a mgr at music by the sea eons ago and had it for several years as my reference. the ones pictured arent mine but radom pics off the net. The latest bergmann 'table copies many of the VD design elements. in the intervening years, imo no one has come out with a significantly better mouse trap than the VD 1.0 & 2.0.

Very nice Versalab, bet it sounds awesome.

I only have a Versalab M3 grinder and it is an instant classic for coffee lovers!

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Aj Conti of basis audio fame made espresso machines at one time...whats with coffee and turntable designers? hmmm

rx7audio

Feb 22, 2012
This is symbolic of Scandinavian design ethos. I favor it :cool: View attachment 246

This beautifully simple, clean, elegant design has appealed to me since I first saw it in 1975 when I was an undergraduate student. I could only afford its little brother at the time, though, but it is almost as beautiful to my eye. I'll unpack it in the next day or so and upload a photo or two of it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Besides their sonics, many of today's turntables could be featured in The Museum of Modern Art (put the B&O crap in the dumpster where it belongs!).

Which manufacturer's effort do you think epitomizes high-end audio eye candy?

One table that I think fits that category is Judy Spotheim's SPJ La Luce CS Centroventi turntable:

http://www.arcici.net/turntable.htm

I don't know why Myles but your link don't work for me; it brings me to a "Freeze.com" zone!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I don't know why Myles but your link don't work for me; it brings me to a "Freeze.com" zone!

Looks like they hijacked Ray's site :(

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You might be into something here Tom, and I wouldn't be surprised if that had not been experimented with in the past.

...Less friction, less stress near the beginning and end of the record's circumference.
...From the tracking cartridge's needle, with more accuracy in the balanced center of the grooves.
More complex, but perhaps more accurate too.

Somehow on the principle of a linear tracking arm.
I don't see many of these here at WBF from the members. Clearaudio or other brand's designs ...
Maybe they are hiding them, as they don't look as cool as a normal TT with a steady one point based arm. {I still have a cheap Sony one.}

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Somehow on the principle of a linear tracking arm.
I don't see many of these here at WBF from the members. Clearaudio or other brand's designs ...
Maybe they are hiding them, as they don't look as cool as a normal TT with a steady one point based arm. {I still have a cheap Sony one.}

I'll post pics of my linear tracker once I've mounted my new cartridge (when it arrives!)...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Cool Rich! :cool:

* I welcome everybody else who have a linear TT to post their baby's picture.
My Sony one ain't worth it, and besides it ain't operative (stored).

And don't worry, they won't dislodge the other great TTs that are already posted in this thread.
...Or won't they? :b

What I truly wanna know though is this: are they good, including the laser ones?
And how fussy are they to set up; you know,
...all that stuff related to 'religious passion of men aspiring to become angels'. :b

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Luxman PD555/Scheu Tacco Burbinga unipivot arm/Blue Angel Mantis MC cartidge.

luxman pd555.JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
622514_191660104298481_1434118135_o.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing