Essence Electrostatic Speaker System....A Bold Statement !..

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
These are Final speakers from the Netherlands resurrected -- the company went out of business a few years ago. Heard them before several times and have heard countless "the greatest thing since sliced bread" claims over the years. Meh.

Last edited:

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I stopped reading at the bit where they say: The real question comes down to this; can you actually hear the difference between a $50K system and a $3K system and if so, is it worth the difference? IMHO no, you cant.

Now, back to reality (at least for me).

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You've got to love this. The article ends w/a bio of Bob Rapaport. The bio concludes w/his two patents, but kicks off w/his description as a marketeer. Makes sense in light of this somewhat ambitious claim.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
This is art mirroring life - Bob says his $3.5k spkrs in effect outperform $650k ones - who knows?
But I'd say a $650k judgement p****s all over a $3.5k one any day of the year :cool:!

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
About TRG - TRG Marketing
trgmarketing.com/about-trg/
Bob Rapoport started his career as a manufacturer's rep with the legendary Morris -Tait Associates in Los Angeles ... Bob's career began in 1971, when he worked under the master, Dr. Amar Bose, and learned the art of selling speaker systems. It was this experience that taught him many of the lessons he applies today.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
They must be a big demand for these speakers, one person on another forum has been waiting for months to go demo these speakers at Essence in Tampa, FL. but they sold their demo speakers months ago!

Home Theater Shack Forum is still waiting to get their pair of these Essence speakers so they can find out how good these speakers really are.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Marketeer? More like dead company walking. This dude hasn't a clue how to talk to audiophiles.

Tim

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
About TRG - TRG Marketing
trgmarketing.com/about-trg/
Bob Rapoport started his career as a manufacturer's rep with the legendary Morris -Tait Associates in Los Angeles ... Bob's career began in 1971, when he worked under the master, Dr. Amar Bose, and learned the art of selling speaker systems. It was this experience that taught him many of the lessons he applies today.

Don't forget being a winner of no less than 12 Engieering (sic) awards!

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
"Diminishing Returns starts kicking in very very quickly in this hobby" but Audiophiles think they don't kick in until $50,000 and SOME Audiophiles think it's much much higher than that!:D BUT "Music Lovers" think it's much much MUCH lower than that!

What do you all think?... ...

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
"Diminishing Returns starts kicking in very very quickly in this hobby" but Audiophiles think they don't kick in until $50,000 and SOME Audiophiles think it's much much higher than that!:D BUT "Music Lovers" think it's much much MUCH lower than that!

What do you all think?... ...

The answer is the length of a piece of string, give or take 10% multiplied by the cubic volume of the listening room.

But yes, as a music lover all I need is a $200 bedside CD / radio. To which I am very happily listening to right now as I type. But as an audiophile where I want to immerse myself in the emotional listening experience, things that I once might have deemed as "diminishing returns" suddenly become highly significant. And you can even get to such a critical stage of tuning that changing a $2,000 power cord for a $2,200 power cord of a different brand can be perceived as a make of break sonic decision.

The only rule that I believe hold true as regards price range is that less expensive gear should represent a sonic sin of omission in comparison to more expensive gear and that any system - in any price range - that has any offensive qualities when tested with a wide range of source material should be considered to be a failure.

As for what I know would make me genuinely happy as of today, well there wouldn't really be any change at all from $100K and even then I'd be compromising as compared to what I know is possible. I can achieve a completely inoffensive sound for $20K and an inoffensive headphone based system for only $5K. But those systems are simply incapable of delivering the full experience that I know to be my personal "benchmark" (which btw is still some way below what I might hear in the concert hall).

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The answer is the length of a piece of string, give or take 10% multiplied by the cubic volume of the listening room.

But yes, as a music lover all I need is a $200 bedside CD / radio. To which I am very happily listening to right now as I type. But as an audiophile where I want to immerse myself in the emotional listening experience, things that I once might have deemed as "diminishing returns" suddenly become highly significant. And you can even get to such a critical stage of tuning that changing a $2,000 power cord for a $2,200 power cord of a different brand can be perceived as a make of break sonic decision.

The only rule that I believe hold true as regards price range is that less expensive gear should represent a sonic sin of omission in comparison to more expensive gear and that any system - in any price range - that has any offensive qualities when tested with a wide range of source material should be considered to be a failure.

As for what I know would make me genuinely happy as of today, well there wouldn't really be any change at all from $100K and even then I'd be compromising as compared to what I know is possible. I can achieve a completely inoffensive sound for $20K and an inoffensive headphone based system for only $5K. But those systems are simply incapable of delivering the full experience that I know to be my personal "benchmark" (which btw is still some way below what I might hear in the concert hall).

You can spend a lot less than $20K "these days" and still get "Reference Sound" !!:D

Diminishing Returns kick in quick!!:D:)

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
Box speakers sound BOXY! AND those crossover caps just colors the sound..A LOT! SAD BUT TRUE! "The BEST crossover CAPS is NO crossover CAPS" !

We can go forward!:p OR backward!:eek:

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
They will not have these all new Audiostatic Electrostatic speakers in stock until December 2015 and they say these Electrostats are a major breakthrough that do not need any ac power! They also say these Electrostats will go all the way down to 20 Hz! FOR 2K !! IF they can do this they will have Sound Lab "shaking in their boots" ! :)

http://www.essenceelectrostatic.com/new-audiostatic-electrostats-need-no-ac-power/

I also heard on another forum that some of the Space Coast Audio Society members in the Central Florida area are going to go Demo these all new Audiostatic speakers when Essence gets a pair in to Demo! The Space Coast Audio Society E-Mail is vgl@cfl.rr.com and their phone number is 386-423-4650

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing