End The Diet Debate

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

What we knew all along. The difference between the "best" and the "worst" diets when subjected to a meta analysis is insignificant when it comes to weight loss or other biological markers. For more, see the recent JAMA editorial entitled end the diet debate - because it is getting us nowhere fast. Consider that if all these diets work, why are Americans the fattest they've ever been? Not only didn't we meet any nutrition and obesity goals outlined by the government in 2000, but the obesity epidemic is actually worse 13 years later.

The single biggest factor relating to weight loss according to this meta analysis? No surprise here: adherence.

What's the biggest problem? Finally getting people to realize that knowledge and NUMBERS DON'T change human behavior!!!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Don't drink any soda pop or concentrated fruit juice drinks,just fresh spring water and cut back on carbs. I lost 45 lbs,so it works.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
There have been modest gains in obesity reduction in children and adolescents.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There have been modest gains in obesity reduction in children and adolescents.

Actually the recent CDC studies don't agree. Obesity continues to rise at an alarming rate in teenagers, especially in lower socioeconomic groups! In fact, obesity doesn't discriminate according to race, sex, age, sexual orientation, etc.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Very nice watch. When my cardiologist said I had to shed a few pounds, I hated the idea of going on a diet for the first time in my life. I really enjoy food :). So I decided to do two things:

1. Cut back on really bad stuff (ribs, etc)
2. Exercise everyday

I was sure it would not work without a "diet." But it did! I am so pleased that I can still eat almost what I like, not counting calories and still, shed the belly fat. Surprise bonus was getting in better shape and boost in my "happiness index." As the video said though, staying on it the regiment takes work. I solved most of it by getting a perfect exercise machine for me and watching my favorite educational video. The combo solves 90% of the motivation problem for me. It has been almost a year since I started this and is still working!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing