EMT phono with or without Preamp?

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I just ordered an EMT JPA 66 Mk 2 phono amp today:). But interestingly the dealer asked me if wanted the R version(no preamp) or normal version with preamp? He told me that apart from the preamp difference the other difference is that on the nornal version the phono section output is only RCA. On the R version without preamp there is RCA and XLR for the phono. However the preamp version has RCA and XLR from the preamp section (but the signal would be affected by the volume knob) but only rca if you want to bypass the volume control and preamp section. He advised that it didn't make sense to send the phono through two preamps. He sort of said the phono only version was requested by customers here for that reason. The cost is Identical for both so I guess if you used rca out on the phono then the preamp is a bonus? Tang and others, thoughts?

Last edited:

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
For flexibility? Would you expect the sound to be worse out of the preamp outputs than directly out of the phono stage? I guess I haven't thought about resale where a preamp version might be more wiseoy accepted.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Both of mine are normal version. The phono inputs are in rca and xlr. I cannot recall if it has xlr output. I am using everything in rca. I never tried one without preamp function so I dont know if there is any difference. But sooner or later you will itch to try rolling tubes. Thats when you definitely will hear the difference.

Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I just ordered an EMT JPA 66 Mk 2 phono amp today:). But interestingly the dealer asked me if wanted the R version(no preamp) or normal version with preamp? He told me that apart from the preamp difference the other difference is that on the nornal version the phono section output is only RCA. On the R version without preamp there is RCA and XLR for the phono. However the preamp version has RCA and XLR from the preamp section (but the signal would be affected by the volume knob) but only rca if you want to bypass the volume control and preamp section. He advised that it didn't make sense to send the phono through two preamps. He sort of said the phono only version was requested by customers here for that reason. The cost is Identical for both so I guess if you used rca out on the phono then the preamp is a bonus? Tang and others, thoughts?

Great choice btw! Jealous :)

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hey Howie. Have you decided on a pre amp, or are you thinking of using the EMT as pre and phono stage?

If you are going into 3 tables/ tonearms, you might want the additional flexibility of phono only.

for me, if there is no remote control - phono only :)

awesome choice regardless thou.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
1. There is no remote with or without preamp.
2. The phono section is identical. The ONLY difference is the phono section has XLR out in addition to rca for the phono only model. Presumably this is make up for not having the preamp section with in also has dual rca and XLR outputs.
Shane, do you mean the extra flexibility of having rca AND XLR out? Inputs are identical.
Thanks howie

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
I should add that the sound if you take it from the phono section only is apparently identical in both models but making it go through the preamp section outputs must surely change the sound a little?

Tang, I presume you use the phono section outputs and NOT the preamp outputs? I.e. your preamp section is not used at all?

If indeed one does use the preamp outputs (for example if you need balanced out) what do you set the gain to? Maximum?

It’s strange that even in the phono only version (R) they still have two line inputs like the normal version.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks. I will have to wait until October I believe to see this :(

I heard it in my friends system (that i know v well) and it was extraordinarily good

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I should add that the sound if you take it from the phono section only is apparently identical in both models but making it go through the preamp section outputs must surely change the sound a little?

Tang, I presume you use the phono section outputs and NOT the preamp outputs? I.e. your preamp section is not used at all?

If indeed one does use the preamp outputs (for example if you need balanced out) what do you set the gain to? Maximum?

It’s strange that even in the phono only version (R) they still have two line inputs like the normal version.
Howie. I didn't even know the JPA66 MKII has two versions until you said it. I DO use the preamp output. Very often I adjust the master volume control of the EMT instead of the Lamm's. No complaint about its sound. I like to leave the volume control of EMT at 7.

I see you keep messing your head with theoretical difference of the two versions. I will mess with you more by saying what if my normal version sounds better than the other version you interested in :rolleyes:. The General has a normal version. Airbearing has a normal version. Ovenmitt also has the normal version.

Tang

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Already messed up with no chance of recovery Tang! The dealer told me that this R version was requested by HK users so I don't even know if it's available outside Hong Kong.
I would be very interestedto know if there is any sound difference when you use the preamp outputs vs the phono outputs bypassing the pre. If they sound the same then I would probably opt for the normal version. Who knows, one day I might use the preamp... !?

Now i have a headache!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
From what Sir General said here it would seem to be the same whether you go through the preamp or not?

P.M. Jack, he has the EMT and various amps. He prefers to use the external pre as far as I know.

Reactions: howiebrou

108CY

May 4, 2013
I have a friend who has the normal unit and now also owns the R, in his set up the r is very different. They certainly do not sound the same the R has a purity to the sound a grainless quality images seem to float especially when vocals are concerned. The normal unit somehow has more overall weight to the sound a sence of scale which is very nice but lacks the overall purity.

Reactions: dan31

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Did Tang buy both the same? That's abnormal, he should have bought one different

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing