EMT - JSD series Carts

thekong

May 10, 2012
This new goldmund seems interesting but MP also gives the possibility of choice at the time of purchase" to be able to request management with an output of 0.5 mV with an internal impedance of 12 ohms you can even ask for the same head with the output of 0.3 mV and a bite of 6 ohms (published by the Italian audio importer point: JSD OPTIONS
1/2 Coil - Impedance: 2x12? - Output: 0.5mV @ 5cm/s -
1/4 Coil - Impedance: 2x6? - Output: 0.3mV @ 5cm/s - (the godmund is probably the same cartridge but jsd branded differently)

I don’t doubt the Goldmund is basically a JSD?but Goldmund may have their input in voicing the cartridge. Goldmund also listed the compliance as 10 um/mN vs 12 nm/mN of the regular JSD. The Goldmund’s casing actually looks very similar to the X-Quisite ST cartridge, including the wooden layer on top.

The 1/2 and 1/4 coil options are very similar to the ones offer by the Nagra Reference cartridge, which I believe also made by EMT.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Has anyone tried the jsd 6 low output version, built specifically for suts
0.3mv /6ohms

Reactions: Massimo66

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
I don’t doubt the Goldmund is basically a JSD?but Goldmund may have their input in voicing the cartridge. Goldmund also listed the compliance as 10 um/mN vs 12 nm/mN of the regular JSD. The Goldmund’s casing actually looks very similar to the X-Quisite ST cartridge, including the wooden layer on top.

The 1/2 and 1/4 coil options are very similar to the ones offer by the Nagra Reference cartridge, which I believe also made by EMT.
Chances are it's exactly as you say. It's hard to believe that Goldmund didn't put his own spin on it. this name brings to mind those years when the goldmund studio was the one driving my beloved vinyls with the triplanar (fantastic experience with the ortofon Anna) with its sound all rhythm and heart. Every now and then I think about buying this wonderful turntable again.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Has anyone tried the jsd 6 low output version, built specifically for suts
0.3mv /6ohms
difficult to have access to this variant Stephan unless you order it that way. Until now all the ones I've heard had standard impedance. I'm getting great results using the internal step up of my allnic 7000 and making it read a load of 300.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
difficult to have access to this variant Stephan unless you order it that way. Until now all the ones I've heard had standard impedance. I'm getting great results using the internal step up of my allnic 7000 and making it read a load of 300.
Thanks Massimo that could have been , I'm a big emt fan. exceptionally good voice and speech reproduction. Unfortunately it's too loud for my phono 1 mV I don't want to keep soldering around in it. doesn't fit my 1:20 sut.

thekong

May 10, 2012
Yes, the 1mv output of the JSDs makes things more complicated for choosing a SUT. I was going to order a 1:10 SUT from Dave Slagle before I knew about these lower output JSDs.

EMT has a 1:5, 1:10 silver coil SUT for the JSDs. I have used a relatively low cost Lundhal copper SUT to test the gain, and preferring the 1:10 over 1:5 gain in my setup.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
Yes, the 1mv output of the JSDs makes things more complicated for choosing a SUT. I was going to order a 1:10 SUT from Dave Slagle before I knew about these lower output JSDs.

EMT has a 1:5, 1:10 silver coil SUT for the JSDs. I have used a relatively low cost Lundhal copper SUT to test the gain, and preferring the 1:10 over 1:5 gain in my setup.
This morning I got some good news: my trusted dealer who will be visiting Sicily this weekend will bring the Ypisilon mc 10 to my home so I can try it out. This StepUp which is talked about very well could be ideal for the coupling between cartridge and phono preamplifier. It has a 1/10 ratio with the possibility of adding resistors on load to vary the load. I hope to give you news very soon on the results I will obtain. taking advantage of Riccio I will also do a test with the other cartridges I own, Benz Lps air tight pc 1 and ortofon A 95

Reactions: thekong

thekong

May 10, 2012
This morning I got some good news: my trusted dealer who will be visiting Sicily this weekend will bring the Ypisilon mc 10 to my home so I can try it out. This StepUp which is talked about very well could be ideal for the coupling between cartridge and phono preamplifier. It has a 1/10 ratio with the possibility of adding resistors on load to vary the load. I hope to give you news very soon on the results I will obtain. taking advantage of Riccio I will also do a test with the other cartridges I own, Benz Lps air tight pc 1 and ortofon A 95

Great, I also have an A95 :)

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
good evening, the Ypsilon step up has arrived and been assembled. Tomorrow I'll insert the A 95 into the dynavector and then I'll tell you my impressions

Attachments

• F4CE4A84-6B9D-46B3-A8CF-B87D181CCE3D.jpeg
    F4CE4A84-6B9D-46B3-A8CF-B87D181CCE3D.jpeg
    902.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 9710C3A8-FDC7-4A61-A226-BEB95C39709B.jpeg
    9710C3A8-FDC7-4A61-A226-BEB95C39709B.jpeg
    913.3 KB · Views: 26

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
good evening, the Ypsilon step up has arrived and been assembled. Tomorrow I'll insert the A 95 into the dynavector and then I'll tell you my impressions

can you also please tell us how the different carts sold directly into the Allnic

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
can you also please tell us how the different carts sold directly into the Allnic
Obviously yes, I will make a comparison with the internal Step ups of the allnic since using the Step Up 1/13 position combining it with the input load of 47 k ohms makes the Emt see 278. ohms. but for this option to be able to test the Ypsilon step up I seriously have to insert a 500 ohm resistor on the ypsilon to make the EMT read 250 ohms (I wrote to the Ypsilon staff who responded to me in 2 hours and they immediately gave me the values correct to use in the step up load which by default makes the heads read a fixed 500 ohms). While for the Ortofon A 95 they recommend inserting a 75/150 ohm resistor and for my Air tight PC1 a 33 ohm resistor. Tomorrow morning my electrician's shop will find me waiting at the door to purchase the resistors needed to carry out the tests. for the Benz LPS the load that the Ypsilon reads is perfect so this evening I will start from the Benz to make comparisons with internal and external step up

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
finally a few days of vacation. From this afternoon I began to dedicate part of the Christmas days to carrying out tests and counter tests of this step up which some of you define as wonderful. It is certainly a beautiful object and from its first cry it began to delight me with its warmth. Today at my trusted electrician, in addition to stocking up on resistors of every possible value, I found some RCA connectors with screw connection and just for don't let me miss anything I bought a dozen so I can alternate 5 resistor values at a time. I will use the soldering iron and a quality connector only when I have identified the correct values. And so on with this test between the internal step ups of the Allnic and the Ypsilon mc 10. the first impression is that with the Ypsilon everything becomes more relaxed and the voices are slightly fuller. but today the subject of the test is the Emt jsd platinum which has very high output values, but I repeat it is only the first impression which can often be deceptive. Tomorrow the level of shooting will increase... a few more hours with the EMT and then we move on to the Ortofon A 95 and there with an output of 0.2 the going will get tough... we'll see if the tough guys keep playing AD5B9E21-0965-482E-BE51-AC1F712E4979.jpeg 944CD12A-91E7-4410-8F5D-E56C610D074C.jpeg

Reactions: Cristian

Yeti

Dec 25, 2020
France
When you go to their pickup heads (Tondose) rather than the 1/2” mount cartridges EMT offer a range of outputs.

“Besides the standard EMT tonearm-connection, we offer the option INT (Ortofon A compatible) and option X (for SME standard). Furthermore, we manufacture 1/2 and 1/4 coil for lower impedance versions on request.”

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
dearest, last night with a couple of equally passionate friends we continued our listening until one in the morning. comparing the differences between the internal step up of the Allnic and the mc 10 of the Ypsilon always using the EMT and we all agreed on preferring the reproduction with the external step up for greater warmth in the medium-low frequency and a sensation of greater relaxation, Attention small differences while the allnic alone was preferred for greater brightness without ever becoming aggressive, testimony to the great quality of this device with which you can truly manage any cartridge (maybe not the Ortofon mc 2000). the arrival of the late hour forced us to lower the volume, despite ourselves, but it also allowed us to appreciate the enormous quality of this EMT head, which even at minimum volumes continued to give us a whole series of colors that warm you up your heart and fill you with incredible emotions. The voices reproduced as well as the large orchestras left you speechless as we accompanied our listening with a half bottle of Hapden Pagos. the records used ranged from a beautiful collection by Diana Krall, to a magnificent Quintessence by Billy Evans, continuing with Chet Baker in Chet, up to Duets with Carmen Mc Rae and Betty Carter. To tell the truth, if in Quitessence Ray Brown's double bass was preferable on the Allnic step ups, making the vibrato of the strings more evident, the low notes of Evans' piano acquired a bit more weight with the Ypsilon. In Duets the play of the voices of the two artists with the solo pre had a greater sparkle but with the Ypsilon you could savor and touch the air and smoke of a jazz club of the 60s. For the symphony we alternated the violin concert by Brahms with Szeryng and Antal Dorati in the original Mercury Sr 90308 to Stravinsky's Fire Bird with director Oiji Oue in the Rreference Recording edition and finally a splendid RCA victor lsc 2394 with Haydn's 94 surprise symphony. Here our previous impressions of a substantial balance but with a preference for the Ypsilon step up were all confirmed with the exception of the Fire Bird where the timpani and bass drum hits were reproduced by Allnic alone like real shotgun blasts and came at you making you jump like someone had slapped you. We all had a greater preference in no uncertain terms with Brahms where Mercury's beautiful but pungent recording was probably rendered with a little more sweetness. the settings chosen for this session were to have the cartridge read a scale. This morning early I prepared a series of RCA connectors with a series of N resistors to make the Ortofon A 95 read a surge that varied between 25 and 70 ohms I mounted the head on the Dynavector 507 and went to prepare a good coffee while waiting for my two friends to arrive. When they arrived I had already rolled a couple of LPs on the turntable. the first hour was spent choosing the most suitable load to interface it with the step up, while as regards the allnic in the past months I had determined that the best position was with the internal step with the ratio of 1/26 and having it read a impedance of 30 or 45 ohms. unfortunately we immediately realized that in this case the Ypsilon Mc 10 could not keep up with the comparison in terms of signal to noise ratio also due to my trusty MBL speakers and their sensitivity which stands between 81/82 db. One of the things that caught my eye and ears, however, is that the timbre that this gives to the music is truly remarkable. as long as we limited ourselves to voices and the reproduction of a few instruments, the sound that this Step up gave us was absolutely delightful, probably by using Ypsilon mc 20 step ups we would be able to maintain the exceptional timbre but also be overwhelmed and involved by the large orchestra where the MC 10 showed that it did not have the strength to adequately push the Ortofon A 95. in this case the allnic h 7000 showed off a personality and an incredible ability to drive this cartridge, giving the reproduction an exciting three-dimensionality and speed.

Reactions: thekong

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
When you go to their pickup heads (Tondose) rather than the 1/2” mount cartridges EMT offer a range of outputs.

“Besides the standard EMT tonearm-connection, we offer the option INT (Ortofon A compatible) and option X (for SME standard). Furthermore, we manufacture 1/2 and 1/4 coil for lower impedance versions on request.”
Good afternoon yeti, I know well the infinite possibilities that EMT offers to us end users and I can only be grateful for this, but let me say that the most beautiful thing you give us with your cartridges is the ability to make us relive the live event like this as if we were present at a concert. the thing that made the most impression on me is the dynamic capacity of this cartridge (I own the jsd 6 platinum) combined with a remarkable ability to bring out a quantity of incredible details from the grooves of our records... with it I rediscovered the pleasure of listening to some rock bands like Nirvana, LINKIN PARK, Green Day or Oasis who, by dint of aiming for maximum refinement, had become boring to my ears.

thekong

May 10, 2012
dearest, last night with a couple of equally passionate friends we continued our listening until one in the morning. comparing the differences between the internal step up of the Allnic and the mc 10 of the Ypsilon always using the EMT and we all agreed on preferring the reproduction with the external step up for greater warmth in the medium-low frequency and a sensation of greater relaxation, Attention small differences while the allnic alone was preferred for greater brightness without ever becoming aggressive, testimony to the great quality of this device with which you can truly manage any cartridge (maybe not the Ortofon mc 2000). the arrival of the late hour forced us to lower the volume, despite ourselves, but it also allowed us to appreciate the enormous quality of this EMT head, which even at minimum volumes continued to give us a whole series of colors that warm you up your heart and fill you with incredible emotions. The voices reproduced as well as the large orchestras left you speechless as we accompanied our listening with a half bottle of Hapden Pagos. the records used ranged from a beautiful collection by Diana Krall, to a magnificent Quintessence by Billy Evans, continuing with Chet Baker in Chet, up to Duets with Carmen Mc Rae and Betty Carter. To tell the truth, if in Quitessence Ray Brown's double bass was preferable on the Allnic step ups, making the vibrato of the strings more evident, the low notes of Evans' piano acquired a bit more weight with the Ypsilon. In Duets the play of the voices of the two artists with the solo pre had a greater sparkle but with the Ypsilon you could savor and touch the air and smoke of a jazz club of the 60s. For the symphony we alternated the violin concert by Brahms with Szeryng and Antal Dorati in the original Mercury Sr 90308 to Stravinsky's Fire Bird with director Oiji Oue in the Rreference Recording edition and finally a splendid RCA victor lsc 2394 with Haydn's 94 surprise symphony. Here our previous impressions of a substantial balance but with a preference for the Ypsilon step up were all confirmed with the exception of the Fire Bird where the timpani and bass drum hits were reproduced by Allnic alone like real shotgun blasts and came at you making you jump like someone had slapped you. We all had a greater preference in no uncertain terms with Brahms where Mercury's beautiful but pungent recording was probably rendered with a little more sweetness. the settings chosen for this session were to have the cartridge read a scale. This morning early I prepared a series of RCA connectors with a series of N resistors to make the Ortofon A 95 read a surge that varied between 25 and 70 ohms I mounted the head on the Dynavector 507 and went to prepare a good coffee while waiting for my two friends to arrive. When they arrived I had already rolled a couple of LPs on the turntable. the first hour was spent choosing the most suitable load to interface it with the step up, while as regards the allnic in the past months I had determined that the best position was with the internal step with the ratio of 1/26 and having it read a impedance of 30 or 45 ohms. unfortunately we immediately realized that in this case the Ypsilon Mc 10 could not keep up with the comparison in terms of signal to noise ratio also due to my trusty MBL speakers and their sensitivity which stands between 81/82 db. One of the things that caught my eye and ears, however, is that the timbre that this gives to the music is truly remarkable. as long as we limited ourselves to voices and the reproduction of a few instruments, the sound that this Step up gave us was absolutely delightful, probably by using Ypsilon mc 20 step ups we would be able to maintain the exceptional timbre but also be overwhelmed and involved by the large orchestra where the MC 10 showed that it did not have the strength to adequately push the Ortofon A 95. in this case the allnic h 7000 showed off a personality and an incredible ability to drive this cartridge, giving the reproduction an exciting three-dimensionality and speed.

Thank you for the detailed report! I am not familiar with the Ypsilon SUT, so does the MC10 have 1:10 gain? If so, while it may suit the EMT’s 1mv output, it is probably too low a gain for the 0.2mv A95, so causing the noise issue!

Last edited:

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
The EMT JSD Novel Gold I have here sounds wonderful. Very smooth open Transparent Cartridge. Tracks Superb.

Massimo66

Feb 7, 2022
in recent days after having rearranged the Emt Jed platinum using the Wally accessories and the Fozgometer 2 I had some step ups from other enthusiasts available to me…. tried bent tx 103, Kiseki mct 1 and mct 2 and Ear mc 4 all compared with the ypsilon mc 10……….. just one word wow for the Kiseki mct2, very good also the bent mu metal tx 103 with a resistor from 150 kohm. It's a shame that Kiseki is currently nowhere to be found.... I tried to buy it from my friend but without success... my friend drives a fantastic Kiseki Agata ruby

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing