Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
I have the DA2V2. Heard about a new software coming but where can I get the updated firmware? Thanks

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Thanks. Dealer here hasn’t received anything from EMM. Looking forward to your review.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Tony, my dealer today just informed me about the firmware update. I will bring my DV2 to the shop to get it done on Monday. I understand that the hardware part can be upgraded next year.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
This is the latest news as of today from EMM Labs, Guys -

"Just clarifying, no firmware update for the DV2.
This is specifically a USB interface update for certain customers experiencing issues when connecting with specific USB systems.
The DV2 update is not released yet and is only under test now."
- EMM Labs

Last edited:

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
This is the latest news as of today from EMM Labs, Guys -

"Just clarifying, no firmware update for the DV2.
This is specifically a USB interface update for certain customers experiencing issues when connecting with specific USB systems.
The DV2 update is not released yet and is only under test now."
- EMM Labs
Thanks for the clarification. Too bad have to wait a bit longer

Reactions: gfroman

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I think the new firmware update might possibly be released next month. Please wait for the announcement. However, I have the opportunity to test it and therefore had it installed a week ago. The new firmware is stunning. Every aspect of the sound has been dramatically improved - the dynamics, the rhythm, the timing, the presence, the energy, the micro details, the accuracy, the coherency, the liquidity, the lushness, the naturalness, the attack, the three dimensionality, the airiness, the air around instruments, the space between instruments, the speed, the transient, decay, sustain, release, ambience and resonance retrieving, the bass, the midrange, the high frequency response, the tonality, the musicality, the soundstaging, the imaging, the focus and the transparency. If you are listening to classical music, the new firmware can often shock you with its massive dynamics and that was my experience!

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Hi guys,

I think the new firmware update might possibly be released next month. Please wait for the announcement. However, I have the opportunity to test it and therefore had it installed a week ago. The new firmware is stunning. Every aspect of the sound has been dramatically improved - the dynamics, the rhythm, the timing, the presence, the energy, the micro details, the accuracy, the coherency, the liquidity, the lushness, the naturalness, the attack, the three dimensionality, the airiness, the air around instruments, the space between instruments, the speed, the transient, decay, sustain, release, ambience and resonance retrieving, the bass, the midrange, the high frequency response, the tonality, the musicality, the soundstaging, the imaging, the focus and the transparency. If you are listening to classical music, the new firmware can often shock you with its massive dynamics and that was my experience!
This is almost every audiophile qualitative. I trust it sounds better across the board!

A while back I sent Amadeus a couple suggestions, and I'm curious if these changes somewhat correspond.

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
This is almost every audiophile qualitative. I trust it sounds better across the board!

A while back I sent Amadeus a couple suggestions, and I'm curious if these changes somewhat correspond.

Hi Ian,

Today is my eleventh day of listening to the new firmware so to speak. My position about it has not changed. It continues to amazed me. This new firmware update has transformed my DAC to an entirely different beast altogether! The soaring high frequency, the explosive dynamics, the timbre accuracy, the lifelike sound, the energy, the micro-details -details I have not heard before, the lifelike transient response, the precision, the transparency, the refinement, etc., will blow you away! (however, there is one caveat: I am using the stock [AT&T) optical cable throughout the listening sessions instead of my Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus Optical Cable, the better optical cable. I inadvertently damaged the Optimism Lotus during the removal of it)

Reactions: tonytsui

tonytsui

Apr 20, 2014
Hi Ian,

Today is my eleventh day of listening to the new firmware so to speak. My position about it has not changed. It continues to amazed me. This new firmware update has transformed my DAC to an entirely different beast altogether! The soaring high frequency, the explosive dynamics, the timbre accuracy, the lifelike sound, the energy, the micro-details -details I have not heard before, the lifelike transient response, the precision, the transparency, the refinement, etc., will blow you away! (however, there is one caveat: I am using the stock [AT&T) optical cable throughout the listening sessions instead of my Aural Symphonics Optimism Lotus Optical Cable, the better optical cable. I inadvertently damaged the Optimism Lotus during the removal of it)
Hi Andy,

With the new firmware, are you able to play DSD256 or even higher? Thanks,

Tony

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I have just posted the following on another thread, but I think it is relevant to post it here as well:

BEETHOVEN Symphony No.6 in F Major, Op 68 Steven STUCKY Silent Spring
Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra/Manfred Honeck REFERENCE RECORDINGS FR-747 SACD

I am just going to comment on Steven Stucky's Silent Spring. This is one great piece to test your sound system. My upgraded DAC was able to pick up every nuance and inflection of the Pittsburgh's players/recording. The first thing you will noticed about this recording is the wonderful acoustic of the Heinz Hall (if your sound system is able to reproduced it) and that you have a sense of an acoustic field, which means that we feel as if we are in a real sound field. Next, you would noticed that instrumental timbre sounded so right and alive here and finally, you will noticed that fortissimos, dynamics and transient sounded so lifelike as well.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

My journey of discovery continues with the new firmware! A case in point is the following album just heard: Jacintha Autumn Leaves The Songs of Johnny Mercer Groove Note SACD. (Track 1, 4, 9, 10, 11)

Via my updated DV2, I could hear distinctly every nuance and inflection of voice and instrument as never before while the sense of a large acoustic space and the air and space between instruments is so apparent and again, as never before. Likewise, the fleshing out of voice and instruments (e.g., double bass, grand piano) as never before makes it sounds like the real thing! Also, the extraordinary fast transient respond of the new firmware makes musical instruments (especially percussion instruments) sound so real you can almost touch it! Another thing I did noticed about the new firmware is that dynamics (macro and micro) are reproduced with ease or effortlessly as never before!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

My listening session today (which consists of listening to a few great albums, jazz and classical) again confirmed my ongoing impression of the new firmware. Yes, every aspect of the sound is now off the charts, not just incremental improvement (but of course the rest of the sound system must be of reference quality) - the accuracy, the low level detail, the transparency, the transient response, the micro details, the micro and macro dynamics, the energy, the presence, the speed, the impact, the attack, decay, sustain and release, the coherency, the delicacy, the timbre, the spatial cues, the immense soundstage, the imaging, the focus, the deep, weighty, tight, textured clean bass, the articulate midrange, the airy and soaring high, the full tonal balance, the purity, the musicality, the ease, etc. I am truly amazed and ecstatic all at the same time! Every listening session from now on is a new journey for me.

Reactions: tonytsui

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Hi guys,

My listening session today (which consists of listening to a few great albums, jazz and classical) again confirmed my ongoing impression of the new firmware. Yes, every aspect of the sound is now off the charts, not just incremental improvement (but of course the rest of the sound system must be of reference quality) - the accuracy, the low level detail, the transparency, the transient response, the micro details, the micro and macro dynamics, the energy, the presence, the speed, the impact, the attack, decay, sustain and release, the coherency, the delicacy, the timbre, the spatial cues, the immense soundstage, the imaging, the focus, the deep, weighty, tight, textured clean bass, the articulate midrange, the airy and soaring high, the full tonal balance, the purity, the musicality, the ease, etc. I am truly amazed and ecstatic all at the same time! Every listening session from now on is a new journey for me.
Andy, I appreciate you have an especially good/synergistic DV2 system, with out the drawbacks of network audio that I have to deal with!

But, it does sound like they have improved on the things that I had hoped, and let the DA/DV2 off the leash. To my critical ears, the peeve was that is was a bit stiff and holding energy back and I just wanted to hear it let loose. I've always loved the DSD way of rendering digital audio, but many DSD DACs have sounded a bit too restrained compared to the more raw sound I heard with my DSD professional gear and early SACD players which was about unfiltered speed and dynamics, but with less overall fidelity.

Did they change the hardware, or just the software?

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi Ian,

Yes, you are exactly right, one of the first things that I noticed about the new firmware was its shocking dynamic contrasts, impact and energy! I was repeatedly startled by each fortissimo or fortississimo!

Currently EMM Labs provides just the software update. Hardware upgrading will only be available in the latter part of next year.

Reactions: john925 and Ian B

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys,

I just want to share with you what I had just experienced:

Johannes BRAHMS Piano Sonata No. 3 in F minor, Op. 5 Variations and Fugue on a Theme by Handel, Op. 24 Jonathan Plowright (piano) BIS 2047 SACD

Wow, via my updated DAC and when I close my eyes, there is a sense that Jonathan Plowright is in my listening room playing the Steinway D Grand Piano which was reproduced by the way with extraordinary lifelike clarity, pureness and presence and I was spellbound by his stunning Brahms performance!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing