Emeli Sandé: Our Version Of Events

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
If you like Adele, I strongly recommend you check out Emeli Sandé's Our Version Of Events

41z5N2f6TEL._AA200_.jpg

Here's the editorial review from allmusic:

In 2012, Brit's Critic Choice Award, a best new artist prize for the United Kingdom's best talent, unsurprisingly went to Emeli Sandé, a woman being lauded for her crystalline voice and her immaculate songwriting skills. By the time her debut album, Our Version of Events, hit shelves, Sandé had already been a number one-selling singer and songwriter, and had her work covered by names such as Tinchy Stryder, Alesha Dixon, and Susan Boyle. Many call the 24-year old starlet a jack-of-all-trades, and after listening to her first full-length debut, it's easy to understand why. Events skip from genre to genre breezily, often being carried by Sandé's piercing voice. Sonically, the album sounds like a whisked-blend of Leona Lewis, Kate Bush, and Alicia Keys -- but, somehow, Sandé still establishes her own style between the airy coos, sultry piano melodies, and sprinkling of xylophones, synths, and bells. Sandé's strongest tracks are such a mixed-bag -- the Professor Green-spinoff "Read All About It (Part III)" is a raw interpretation of the massive pop single, "Lifetime" is a midtempo love song that's as engaging as a close listen as it is late at night, and the electrifying first single "Heaven" has all the makings of a vibrant dance record slicked up for the floor. A true feature of this album is the sheer quality of the compositions, which, for lack of a better term, are unexpectedly sophisticated and nuanced for a mainstream record. What holds the album back in parts is the fact that its tempo is too slow at times, however, Sandé makes up for it with passion and precision. Our Version of Events is an earnest collection of works by a woman who is as good a composer as she is vocalist, a lethal combination in today's pop music business. In this case, the Critic's Choice Award was well deserved.

Here's the editorial review from Amazon:

While still a teenager, Emeli Sandé got her first big break as a singer and songwriter as she was named a contest winner for a BBC songwriter contest and record-deal offers soon started pouring in. But instead of signing to a label, Sandé put her music career on hold and embarked on a six-year degree in medicine. Studying at Glasgow University, she specialized in clinical neuroscience cause I really like all the brain stuff. As evidenced on her debut album Our Version of Events, she holds a deep affinity for all the heart stuff and soul stuff as well. Defying categorization, she appeals to fans of pop, credible singer-songwriters, soul, dance and everything in between. She has already had an amazing 12 months as her album debuted at #1 in the UK in February and she has had four songs from that album chart high on the UK singles chart, while guesting on four others that charted Top 10 for other artists. She has also been lauded as a songwriter, penning songs for UK artists as varied as Leona Lewis and Susan Boyle, while being identified by none other than Simon Cowell as his favorite songwriter of the moment. She has caught the eye of diverse titans of the music industry with early admirers including Coldplay and Alicia Keys. The former tapped her to open their UK and European dates in December as well as a leg of their upcoming North American summer tour and the latter was so impressed after she opened for her in the UK last summer that she co-wrote and produced the track Hope from Our Version of Events and has been collaborating with Sandé for her own next album. Keys has also been effusive in her praise, telling Dazed and Confused she was a magnificent new artist... I just love her style and her flow super raw and Adele, upon viewing Sandè s performance of the track Next To Me on Jools Holland, was compelled to Tweet How incredible is she? Sandé won the coveted BRIT Critics Choice Award for 2012 awarded this past February and in an unprecedented twist, was also nominated as Breakthrough Artist at the BRITs as well.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks for posting Ron. I do like Adele (and Duffy as well), so I'll check her out.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
This is what Sirius radio and long car rides are good for. Found her about 6 months ago on a trip. This CD is addictive. It's too bad I can't make her Central Park concert next week!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Please tell me that the recording is not close to the catastrophe of Adele's albums. Nice to hear from you again, Ron.

Tom

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Sorry Mr. T. I didn't focus on the recording or the medium... only the music, which is wonderful.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Sorry Mr. T. I didn't focus on the recording or the medium... only the music, which is wonderful.

+1 on the music. Not sure if she wrote what she is singing but it sure sounds like she is invested in it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Am I allowed to dislike both Adele's and Emeli Sande's vocals and music all together, without getting bombarded?. ...Because that's exactly the truth, for me. :b

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Please tell me that the recording is not close to the catastrophe of Adele's albums. Nice to hear from you again, Ron.

Tom

Sara Bareilles' The Blessed Unrest falls into that great music but crushed to death category. I'll purchase this album recommendation from Ron, I got caught by the breakbeat in the first few bars of the first track.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Am I allowed to dislike both Adele's and Emeli Sande's vocals and music all together, without getting bombarded?. ...Because that's exactly the truth, for me. :b

Sure, as long as you don't bombard those that do :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sure, as long as you don't bombard those that do :D

No sweat Jack.

It's just that Pop music ain't my bag at all. ...Same for Celine Dion. ...Alicia Keys, Kate Bush, Leona Lewis, etc.
I might like couple tunes here and there from all these girls put together, but it don't last, they easily fade away.
I realize that I was trapped for a moment, till I wake up. ...But a very brief moment.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
No sweat too Bob. We like what we like. Sometimes I wonder just how much control we have when it comes to that. There's music I've learned to like and others I can't seem to.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Music is a personal thing and there is nothing wrong with not liking certain genres or artists. We all have our likes and dislikes.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn

As long as you defend me when my lack of love for Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen come out, I've got your back. :)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As long as you defend me when my lack of love for Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen come out, I've got your back. :)

Hmmm.....maybe Bob can, but not sure if I could!;):p

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Sara Bareilles' The Blessed Unrest falls into that great music.
Yes! She's got skills.

I'll purchase this album recommendation from Ron, I got caught by the breakbeat in the first few bars of the first track.
I hope I didn't steer you wrong. Interestingly enough, tracks 3 through 14 are so different from that first track (and the second) that I'm a bit unsure why those first 2 tracks were included on the album.

I also find it interesting that the very last track, track 14, is in many ways the anthem of that album. I'm sure when she performs this song in concert the audience definitely is singing out loudly with her.

Let me know what you thing, Jack, after you get the album and listen to it 4 or 5 times.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
This is good album
Bought a year ago when it came out. Better recording the Adele's 19/21. Have to go back a re-listen to "Live at Royal Albert Hall" to see how it compares.
Sande got talent and I'm sure we will enjoy more from her in the future.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yes! She's got skills.

I hope I didn't steer you wrong. Interestingly enough, tracks 3 through 14 are so different from that first track (and the second) that I'm a bit unsure why those first 2 tracks were included on the album.

I also find it interesting that the very last track, track 14, is in many ways the anthem of that album. I'm sure when she performs this song in concert the audience definitely is singing out loudly with her.

Let me know what you thing, Jack, after you get the album and listen to it 4 or 5 times.

Commencing download now :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing