Eames Executive chair - for listening seat...

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
My father has this one!, below-average height I am afraid and too leaned back IMO.

Flez, it really depends. In my system they are the right height for the tweeter and midrange horns. The chair is very comfortable and doesn't interfere with my listening. But, I'm agnostic since I own all three of these chairs, the aluminum group, the Aero and the lounge. also have some of the old plywood chairs by eames and barcelonas, both of which are truly uncomfortable, but look pretty cool!

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
good to know whart, it is so comfortable than one might fall sleep while listening.. :)

AMP

Feb 27, 2011
I have one of the Eames lounge chairs in my room and absolutely love it. It is low, but In measuring ear height it wasn't much of a difference from the upholstered arm chair that preceded it. The thing that makes it seem lower is the height of the armrests which makes getting up seem like more of a chore. There appears to be a common misconception with this chair that it has a headrest when, in fact, the upper section is the upper backrest. I'm 6'1" and when sitting naturally in the chair the top of the back is just below my shoulders. If I really slouch then my head can rest on the upper backrest.

Personally, I can't imagine using a desk / office chair for my listening room. As comfortable as my Aeron chair is I wouldn't consider it my go-to chair for relaxation.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Thanks for your input AMP. You don't find the lounge chair tilting too far back keeping your ears less than parallel to the speaker drivers ?
I guess I need to get to a show room and sit in one for myself.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have one of the Eames lounge chairs in my room and absolutely love it. It is low, but In measuring ear height it wasn't much of a difference from the upholstered arm chair that preceded it. The thing that makes it seem lower is the height of the armrests which makes getting up seem like more of a chore. There appears to be a common misconception with this chair that it has a headrest when, in fact, the upper section is the upper backrest. I'm 6'1" and when sitting naturally in the chair the top of the back is just below my shoulders. If I really slouch then my head can rest on the upper backrest.

Personally, I can't imagine using a desk / office chair for my listening room. As comfortable as my Aeron chair is I wouldn't consider it my go-to chair for relaxation.
Amen.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Thanks for your input AMP. You don't find the lounge chair tilting too far back keeping your ears less than parallel to the speaker drivers ?
Can't believe that nobody has that chair up in your neck of the woods, Christian, just to try it.

AMP

Feb 27, 2011

The seating position is more natural than you would think based on the photos. When sitting up in the chair with legs crossed it's really no different than any other typical domestic armchair. Put your feet up on the ottoman and it becomes a bit more of a lounging position.

Looks are deceiving here as the rake of the back and the height of the seat are actually pretty standard. It's the fact that there's no additional structure turning it into a square box that makes it look far more reclined than it actually is. In my room it's perfect as the space is small and it doesn't visually compete with the speakers, amps, and rack.

I had similar concerns before I bought it so I went to a dealer in Phoenix to try one out. In the showroom the natural tendency is to slouch in the chair, but if I focused on sitting as I would when listening critically I found it to be very comfortable. My only real beef with it is the fact that the arms are low which further encourages me to slouch down into the chair, but that's a small price to pay in comparison to my old chair which had arms that were far too high which forced my shoulders into an unnatural position.

One point that should be brought up here is the impact of the chair on the acoustics of the room. My old chair was fully upholstered and slipcovered with a similar ottoman. Upon getting the Eames chair I immediately noticed a change in room acoustics. Seems that the old chair was also behaving as a bit of a bass trap.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Christian, I have tried all the Stressless chairs at a nearby dealer, and I really don't like them. The headrest in all of them pushes my head forward like that of an osteoporotic little old lady. I like to sit with my spine straight from the lower back to the head, not pushed forward.

I suggest you review a number of stores' online catalogs and then hop in your car and go down to NYC for a day and test the chairs out in person. That's the only way. You could leave home early in the morning, evaluate chairs all day, have dinner at six and a show at eight. Make a day or weekend out of it. Look at the effort you are expending now, and you still haven't sat in a chair.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
I have been using the Eames Aluminum Group lounge chair with ottoman for some time. It has become more comfortable with time. I'm 6' and the back stops at the top of my shoulders. My wife wants to move it to the new great room.I'm grabbing a Knoll womb chair for my new chair in our living room (need to choose fabric). I'm going to hold on to my current chair until I find a replacement for the music room.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have been using the Eames Aluminum Group lounge chair with ottoman for some time. It has become more comfortable with time. I'm 6' and the back stops at the top of my shoulders. My wife wants to move it to the new great room.I'm grabbing a Knoll womb chair for my new chair in our living room (need to choose fabric). I'm going to hold on to my current chair until I find a replacement for the music room.
Dan, as you may have gathered, I'm a big fan of Herman Miller, Eames, Knoll, etc. But don't you find the armrests on the aluminum group chair to be torture? I still use one as a desk chair, but I couldn't imagine using it for relaxation mode because of the arm rests. The chair itself is comfy, though.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Christian

I have an Eames lounge chair with my Wilson Maxx3's. I am about 6.1 and I sit at just over 38 iches ear height. This was actually a bit higher than my previous chair. The looks of it can be deceiving.

Cheers

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Hi Whart,

For some reason the arms on the aluminum group do not bother me. It's not a chair to sleep in, but I have fallen asleep while playing music and relaxing. They can be cool to the touch as they are aluminum, but they warm up quickley to body temp and they have a nice contour to the arm, no hot spots.

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing