DSD ADCs

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I'd need it to be 230v because I don't want to have to rely on a step down transformer. If I can't find one in 230v, I guess it looks like I'll be going with the Tascam since the company is represented here. Problem is I'm not a big fan of Tascam's onboard ADCs having owned an X-9 Pro and a CDR-2000 in the past.

I never really needle dropped before but since I will have at least 3 carts on rotation, yeah, that would be a cool thing to do. :)

Jack,
If it was not for the customs between our countries I would happily loan you my still unused Korg KS2000 230V for some time in exchange of a few Terabytes recorded from the TechDas ... ;)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Jack,
If it was not for the customs between our countries I would happily loan you my still unused Korg KS2000 230V for some time in exchange of a few Terabytes recorded from the TechDas ... ;)

I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'll gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today :)

You are showing your age Myles. I bet there are lots of people on this forum who have never seen a Popeye cartoon. They don't show them on TV anymore-just like Heckle and Jeckle.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm a pre-Elmo Sesame Street kid myself. :)

I've been reading up on the Grimm as per Bruce's advice. Micro's offer's mighty tempting but TERRA bytes? I don't think I have THAT many LPs that he doesn't have himself!

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Mabuhai Jack

This is Todd Garfinkle of MA Recordings. As you may know, I have been using the KORG MRseries recorders for about 6 years. I currently use the MR2000s because it can be modified and mine is. I believe you can find it for sale on the Amazon Japan site. You should also know that, while I do not know what the situation is in Europe, it is sold with a switchable power supply so you will not need to do anything to the voltage. It would benefit however, from a custom made, single volt power supply, but that is another story altogether. In any case, out of the box, it will work for you without issues. Since you are fairly close to Japan, why not just get on a plane and pick one up at a Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo?

If you would like to know what titles I have recorded with the Korg gear, I would be happy to let you know.

Best Wishes
todd
ma recordings
www.marecordings.com

Hi Alexandre,

No I haven't. I gathered though that it is no longer in production. I'd need it to be 230v because I don't want to have to rely on a step down transformer. If I can't find one in 230v, I guess it looks like I'll be going with the Tascam since the company is represented here. Problem is I'm not a big fan of Tascam's onboard ADCs having owned an X-9 Pro and a CDR-2000 in the past.

I never really needle dropped before but since I will have at least 3 carts on rotation, yeah, that would be a cool thing to do. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Todd,

Thanks! I'm scheduled to go to Japan in November. I will definitely take a day to wander the Akihabara district. I have a lens on my shopping list too. If the Tascam gets here before I leave, that's when I'll have a conundrum!

Jack

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
Dear Jack

I will be in Tokyo over the summer and could send you one....... with proper pre-payment, etc. Shipping is not so bad if done with EMS or Yamato. The KORG records at 5.6 MHz, while I am not sure the TASCAM does....

Best Wishes

todd
ma

Last edited by a moderator:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dear Jack

I will be in Tokyo over the summer and could send you one....... with proper pre-payment, etc. Shipping is not so bad if done with EMS or Yamato. The KORG records at 5.6 MHz, while I am not sure the TASCAM does....

Best Wishes

todd
ma

Hi Todd,

Thanks! I'm scheduled to go to Japan in November. I will definitely take a day to wander the Akihabara district. I have a lens on my shopping list too. If the Tascam gets here before I leave, that's when I'll have a conundrum!

Jack

Hi Todd,

I wouldn't want to impose. I'll just order some DVD data discs of your albums. THAT you could send me :) Thanks for the very generous offer though. If ever you're in Manila, please let me know. :)

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
no imposition

Hi Todd,

I wouldn't want to impose. I'll just order some DVD data discs of your albums. THAT you could send me :) Thanks for the very generous offer though. If ever you're in Manila, please let me know. :)

Mabuhai Jack

No imposition actually. I would be grateful if you ordered some Hi Rez from us. It would be best if you did so before June 12th or so as we will be leaving LA for some time......

Best Wishes

todd
ma

Gumby

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle, WA
I was looking at the Blue Coast records website this morning and it appears at least some of the recordings are DSD direct to a Sonoma workstation, then mixed in analog and then back to DSD. So it sounds like they are going in and out of analog without converting to DSD. This appears to avoid having to convert to PCM/DXD, with the subsequent compromises to whatever advantages DSD has to offer. Is this correct? What, if any, is the disadvantage of this approach if your goal is to record in pure DSD?

MA Recordings

Nov 18, 2012
I was looking at the Blue Coast records website this morning and it appears at least some of the recordings are DSD direct to a Sonoma workstation, then mixed in analog and then back to DSD. So it sounds like they are going in and out of analog without converting to DSD. This appears to avoid having to convert to PCM/DXD, with the subsequent compromises to whatever advantages DSD has to offer. Is this correct? What, if any, is the disadvantage of this approach if your goal is to record in pure DSD?

Dear Gumby....

I do not think it is possible to mix in native DSD. If not, the only way is to go out of DSD, into Analog Domain, mix and then go back thru another DSD A-D and present your wares. You will probably hear from Cookie in this regard.

As for MA, I only record with two microphones so there is nothing to mix. It is almost impossible to conceive of releasing a true native 5.6 MHz DSD recording IF it is classical music. The one I do have (the Goldberg Variations) for release, was recorded and edited in the analog domain on 1/2 inch tape; a very costly venture... then transfered to 5.6 MHz on my modified KORG MR2000s

The other two recordings that I have for release on 5.6 MHz DSD were never edited as this is not possible 5.6 Mhz DSD. Korg has a prototype DAW that supposedly does 5.6 MHz editing, but there are still stability issues with it.... It may never be released; I am not sure if they are doing much more about it.

Best Wishes
todd
ma recordings

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com

If you need to do any processing to the file, this is the only true way to do it. This is what we do.

As Todd mentioned, if you do not need to do any processing, then bring it into a workstation, cut/copy/past and you're done! You can do minor editing to a DSD file without having to convert to PCM.

The next release of Pyramix will have facilities to edit DSD128/256fs

Gumby

Dec 16, 2012
Seattle, WA
Todd,

I understand you cannot post-process DSD without converting to some multi-bit format and your reply is consitent in all respects with that understanding. Which is not say I wouldn't purchase something that wasn't native DSD either, because I have and its great. But, being somewhat new to all of this I have been trying to understand what everybody is actually doing. It is my understanding the Channel Classics is, in fact, doing what you describe as "almost impossible to coneive." Actually, it sounded like Blue Coast was doing something similar to what you are doing (and essentially Channel Classics), but not being too familar with all the equipment involved, I was looking to understand it in a little more detail.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just picked up this bad boy from Charlie. PCM and DSD64/128/256 A/D converter via USB!
Will be using this with my Pyramix Native system this weekend to record some RCA Living Stereo transfers.

Ayre QA-9.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing